1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Water on front passenger side floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM
TheACN
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water on front passenger side floor

Hi everybody,

So I was about to try pulling a fuse off due to some issue I was having. Thats when I realized that passenger side carpet was wet. By wet I mean the carpet was full of water! So I pulled the carpet and surrounding trims out to see where this water comes from.

It's been raining for couple days here and I washed my truck after rain ended. So I don't know whether rain or washing caused it. As you can see in the picture, weatherstrips on door are fine. So I dag deeper.

That piece of isolation is all wet on the right hand side. I tried finding an opening which would allow water to go in by my hand but no luck.

I found this rusted metal piece underneath the fuse box where wiring harness is located. But I don't think it's related with anything because it doesn't look like it belongs anywhere and there isn't any rust on the frame anwhere

This is the wiring harness:

The coloring on the bottom right side is due to that piece of rusted metal making water look in that color.

So anyone have any idea where this water might come from? Water hasn't damaged anything yet but if a waterway is clogged or if one of those plastic sealings are broken, it would cause rust eventually.

For now I left it to dry by leaving carpet and trims off, and door open.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Nicholas L. Loya
New User
I want to lean towards a blown Heater core. is there a sweet smell, like say antifreeze? if so then you have a coolant leak, which could be the heater core or a loose connection at the hose heater core connection (fire wall, engine side, above #4 cylinder). I hope this helps to identify.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:40 PM
TheACN
Junior User
Originally Posted by Nicholas L. Loya
I want to lean towards a blown Heater core. is there a sweet smell, like say antifreeze? if so then you have a coolant leak, which could be the heater core or a loose connection at the hose heater core connection (fire wall, engine side, above #4 cylinder). I hope this helps to identify.

Thank you for your answer. But water is pretty much pure. No smell or color, just water. If what you're saying is happening, than would I loose some coolant? Because I checked the coolant level and it doesn't look like lowered.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
This is a very common problem with the second generation Expeditions and Navigators, as well as the F150 line up. The AC evaporator tray drain barely protrudes thru the firewall, maybe a half inch at most. On many vehicles this is not enough to prevent air pressure at highway speeds from pushing the drain water back through the insulation and into the cabin floor and carpet padding. At least you noticed it and caught it in time before your firewall rusted through. There is a fix though. You need to install the TSB fix that Ford put out on this problem. Install the available drain elbow (p/n F3LY-6A614-A ). Here's a link to another writeup on it: Ford AC drain elbow installation... - Ford Expedition Forum , with pictures and part numbers. You probably have to order the Ford part either online or at your local dealer. Oddly it's not a common stock item, I guess because most owners are too lazy to fix it and just trade in the vehicle and eat the loss. The installation isn't too hard. Takes about an hour. Just need the right tools, a long-*** standard screwdriver (Harbor Freight...) and some long-*** need nose pliers to remove the drain shield (it won't be used again, so just rip it off...). You can remove the big bolt on the side of the motor and remove the tranny dipstick tube if you need more access room. Heat up the drain elbow in boiling water to soften it up for the installation, then just insert the screwdriver into the long end of the elbow and push it on the drain pipe. Done. Problem solved.
One other thing to check is that the A/C evap pan is in fact draining when the truck is parked with a slight nose low attitude, like backed into the driveway. You should see some drain water trickle down the frame area under the passenger floor area. This just indicates that the evap drain is not clogged. If you see no drain water you may have a clogged drain and need to clear that out too. But I'm betting that you need to install the A/C elbow to actually fix the wet carpet problem. Generally when your drain is clogged you will hear water slushing around in there around corners and such.

-Mike

If you need to clean out the drain you can safely drill a half inch hole in this area and either use a jet of water from a utility sprayer or some other long object to poke the drain hole. Then cover over the hole with black duct tape.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:15 PM
TheACN
Junior User
Hey Mike,

Thank you for your response. Is there a way to make sure this is the actual problem? I am not that handy when it comes to tasks like this one so I will eventually go to a mechanic and pay for it

I went to a test drive after reading your answer. I maxed out AC and drove for 20 minutes. When I came back home I checked whether the floor had water drips on it. Well it was cold (maybe AC lines are going through there?) but wasn't wetter than before. I laid down under the car and saw water dripping:

So when I speed up this water goes inside of the truck instead of out do I understand correctly?

Old 04-14-2013, 04:43 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Do these vehicles have the same issue with the sun roof drains?

Getting plugged and sending water down that side?

The 2003-2007 F250-F350s do.

See if you can get air to blow down and out of the drain tube found in the corners of the sun roof. They come out at the kick panel.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Are you the original owner of the truck ? I see you have those little air freshener things in the A/C vents. Did the truck have a mold or mildew odor?
Well at least you know your drain isn't clogged. Does it seem wettest right there where your hand is in the photo ? Because with the A/C plenum drain backflow problem it is usually wetter over to the left of that. But it's still possibly the culprit. What was the electrical issue you were having originally that caused you to pull up the carpet/trim ?
Since you have the carpet and padding pulled up though you might want to do another water spray test just to see if it is coming in from either a sunroof (if you have one...) or the front windshield plastic lower support/spacer piece. This little spacer bracket is stuck through the firewall to hold the windshield in place during assembly. There was an issue with the F150's where rain/spray water was getting inside the cabin firewall through the little support bracket on the lower right hand side of the windshield area because the piece wasn't properly sealed or had broken away leaving a hole. That rusted piece you found might've come from up in that area, we won't really know until you look under the windshield wiper plastic cowling with a flashlight in that area. But if you close the doors and spray a garden hose at the lower right area of the windshield you should be able to recreate any leak in that area if that is the issue. The plastic cowling will lift up enough for you to shine a light in there and look around. You'll see the fan blower inlet in there too.
But that rivet and rusted sheet-metal piece came from somewhere. Ford doesn't leave crap like that laying around during assembly. I see the rusted staples on that trim piece right where your hand is in the photo and the windshield bracket piece is right above that area.
I'm still leaning toward the A/C plenum drain backflowing into the firewall insulation, but these are some other areas to check as well. We have to be open to all possibilities or we may overlook the obvious.
Oh yes, the rear A/C plumbing runs under that floor area and may cool it down.

-Mike

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
TheACN
Junior User
Hey Mike,

The initial electrical thing was a binding issue with my front wheels so I was going to remove a fuse in order to see if it's a wheel alignment or 4wd issue. Alloro was helping me on the subject.

I bought the truck from a friend about a year ago. Air freshener is intended to cover my cigar smoke. I haven't felt any mold or mildew odor yet. Carpet too doesn't have a smell so I'm thinking wherever this water came from, it's fresh.

I will pour water down the windshield area to see if I can catch a leaking spot. I will also try sunroof area as amdriven2liv suggested. I hope we can find whatever is causing it. I removed the plastic trim which covered navigation dvd unit too then I pulled out the carpet all the way to passenger seats bottom so it can breathe better. I currently drive my truck with passenger side useless.

Thank you,

-John

Old 04-17-2013, 12:50 AM
TheACN
Junior User
Ok so I poured lots of water on the windshield and then on sunroof today. To see if my car wash had any role with the wet carpet. I left water continually flowing through everywhere for about 10 minutes. I checked the passenger compartment and, nothing. Today weather was hot, so I went to walmart (about 15 miles) with air conditioning at max, and again nothing. I am sure of one and one thing only, if I put everything back to their places, the carpet, all those trims that I pulled, then out of nowhere water will come inside the cabin again

But when I was inspecting engine compartment, I realized that the rubber things circling the cables that enter inside of the car (I don't know their names, maybe frame-cable gaskets?) are mostly out of their places. Tried to put them back but wires were so hard to move, I couldn't even move those rubbers a bit. I will take pictures to better illustrate what I mean.

Also, I saw water on the engine (water goes down through the bottom of the plastic which is under the windshield), water was gathered at spark plug pits, like tiny lakes, completely surrounding coil plug. Would that make any problem? I think spark plugs are tightened well and water can't go through there to the engine but I just want to make sure by asking you guys?

Old 04-17-2013, 01:26 AM
alloro
Received 4,194 Likes on 2,430 Posts
Originally Posted by TheACN
Ok so I poured lots of water on the windshield and then on sunroof today.
There is an easier way to check for leaks in those areas. Turn the heating system to vent or heat so you're pulling in outside air and not recirculating it and turn the blower to high. Close all of the windows and doors. This will pressurize the cabin a bit. Now when you pour or spray water in those areas, if there is a leak you will see bubbles.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
minitrk
Senior User
Odd question, but does the rear window washer work? had something similar in my 00, someone accidentally kicked and disconnected the hose that runs down that kick panel.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:50 PM
TheACN
Junior User
Ok so here's the follow up;

I tried pressurizing cabin to see if sunroof is leaking. No bubbling. Also, it rained all day yesterday, and no water came inside the cabin (I haven't driven it under rain).

Now here is the gaskety things I told about, are they supposed to look like that? There is a visible gap at the one on top. I tried pulling the cable out thinking I might be able to close that gap but it's hard. And I saw few water drops there, maybe water gets in through there when I drive on highway? Or is this just how these gaskets normally are?

And here is another one:

I tried pushing the cable housing in but it easily comes loose again by slight touching.

When it rains or when I wash the truck, this area fills with water. Just to be sure, is that normal?

That is not related with the topic but just out of curiosity, does anyone know what this is:

And here is my son trying to discover a solution with me

Thanks anyone who can participate

Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
I think you could've very well found your leak source ! Yes that grommet is suppose to seal that hole. From the previous pics of the rusted staples under your dash they kind of co-locate where that grommet is too. Do what you can to get the grommet back in place, or seal it all up with some black silicone or something.
That sensor in your grill area is your outside air temp sensor, goes to the computer and to your A/C head unit to display outside air temp. You really shouldn't be getting water up there on top of the motor (coil area...) during any rain/wash event. I didn't notice in the underhood pics but is the weatherstrip seal missing from the windshield cowling? There's suppose to be a thick weatherstrip where the hood meets the plastic cowling to seal it all the way across.
Good job with the troubleshooting !

-Mike

Old 04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
TheACN
Junior User
Originally Posted by Hamfisted
I think you could've very well found your leak source ! Yes that grommet is suppose to seal that hole. From the previous pics of the rusted staples under your dash they kind of co-locate where that grommet is too. Do what you can to get the grommet back in place, or seal it all up with some black silicone or something.
That sensor in your grill area is your outside air temp sensor, goes to the computer and to your A/C head unit to display outside air temp. You really shouldn't be getting water up there on top of the motor (coil area...) during any rain/wash event. I didn't notice in the underhood pics but is the weatherstrip seal missing from the windshield cowling? There's suppose to be a thick weatherstrip where the hood meets the plastic cowling to seal it all the way across.
Good job with the troubleshooting !

-Mike
Thanks Mike, I've ordered some high temp black silicon over Amazon. I am a total rookie when it comes to car repairs. But I'm trying to learn as much as possible so that I can hopefully start doing my own small repairs on her.

By the way, I checked the cowling weatherstrip, It's almost gone. Falls into pieces when I poke it with a screwdriver. So I better get a new one.

I found this on fordparts.com with part number 02824, here is a picture of it. Is that the correct seal I need?

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/imageonxu.jpg/]

Old 04-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Hamfisted
Laughing Gas
Yes, that's the right piece. Surprised it's falling apart and not just missing all together. But that will allow water into the engine compartment if it's missing or torn up. They also sell RTV silicone at Home Cheapo and most autoparts stores if you have any in your area.

-Mike