1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Safety Air Bags for '48 F-1 Cab - Not Suspension Air Bags

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 08:22 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Air Bags for '48 F-1 Cab - Not Suspension Air Bags

Does anyone out there have experience in finding and installing after-market safety air bags in the interior of an old/classic truck? I'm rebuilding my '48 Ford F-1 and would like to see if I could install airbags in the event something bad might happen.
This is only my second post as a newby on this Forum so hope I'm not violating any rules. I asked this question on HAMB and they disallowed the post as not being "acceptable" in a vintage car. I was surprised to find that equipping a classic car with commonly used safety equipment was something they didn't permit but they make the rules.
Has anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks very much for any assistance you can offer.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:35 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
First, welcome to FTE!

On your question, safety air bags are part of a pretty complicated collection of sensors and controls that determine when the bags deploy. I can't imagine that an aftermarket kit would exist that wouldn't be more dangerous to the occupants - air bags relying on small explosions to inflate and all.

My suggestion is to install lap/shoulder safety belts, keep the brakes /tires in good condition, and maintain the steering/suspension systems. The ruggedness of the truck bumper - and relatively high position of the cab - are good safety starters.

What kind of engine/tranny setup are you using?

DW

Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Airbags are not toys and shouldn't be adapted or modified for any reason. You definitely do not want them in a vehicle that was never designed with crumple zones as you will take the full impact from the bag which could in fact cause serious injury or death.

These aren't just simple devices that are bolted in and wired up. They have a network of sensors that monitor speed, impact forces and direction. The computer module is programmed with specifications for that specific vehicle. Also you can't make the computer module work outside its intended application which would require several other computer modules from the vehicle. If it detects any fault it will disable the entire system.

Trust me you don't want anything to do with airbags. I've seen what they can do during training, I've also been hit with one in an accident and it wasn't fun. Unless you have a team of engineers, several million dollars and a dozen vehicles to crash test, you will HIGHLY cause serious injury to yourself in an accident than if the vehicle wasn't equipped with airbags.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:41 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These Trucks are not designed to use Air Bags - The structural design, the metal used, the glass from the windshield would all distort to such a degree that they would break apart and become fragments entering whats left of the cab - The steering column is even more of a problem, even ones from a modern vehicle that are used in theses Trucks so modified.
4 point seat belts properly installed is the best that can be added on the occupants safety during operation
Your idea is sound in thinking but almost impossible to accomplish - I say almost because there are people on here that will spend a million dollars and 10 years of work to prove me wrong if I say it CAN'T be done - The two guys above posted while I was typing this missive - Nathan/51 dueller is one of the ones I was thinking about

Old 04-13-2013, 09:41 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Thanks to you guys for responding - had done some internet research (scary I know) and came up with the following link to Key Safety Systems air bag.
Key Safety Systems - Airbags
Not being well versed on the subject, I was hoping that I could find something that might increase the chances of being OK if something bad happened.
But I guess you don't know what you don't know and that's where Forums like this help a great deal.
In response to FortyNiner's question, we're using a front end clip and 350 small block, transmission and rear end from a '75 Camarro. Some folks have "skewered" me for mixing Ford and Chevy but I like both brands.
Also, since I'm a newby, any simple instructions on posting pictures to this Forum or an indication of where I can go on the site to get instructions to do so. The only this I've seen is an icon to attached an image which asks you to go the URL of the image. I'm used to an option that allows me to "Browse" to the location of the pictures on my computer's hard drive.
Thanks for all the input, help and advice.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
These Trucks are not designed to use Air Bags -
4 point seat belts properly installed is the best that can be added on the occupants safety during operation
Please NO! 4 point seat belts are for racing only. They are not legal nor safe for street use.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:38 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Aldrowsboy,
Welcome Aboard! We'd love to see pics of your new ride.
To post pics directly from your harddrive - you have to be a member.
I think it's $20/yr - you get much less advertising & a little paperclip icon you click to add pics from your harddrive.

There is another method where you put your picks up on Photobucket, Flicker, etc. & then link to your pics there. Someone will be along shortly to give you instructions. (I never mastered that way - gave up & joined).

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 04-13-2013, 11:45 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Aldrowsboy,
I also researched adding after market safety airbags because my
son would also be driving our truck. It's tough nut to crack as you need
a computer & sensors. We went with:
- Brand new performance tires.
- Upgraded brakes to 4 wheel discs.
- Upgraded the master cylinder to Dual Chamber.
- Normal 3 point seatbelts - reinforced under the cab.
- Upgraded suspension & steering.

It'll never be as safe as a modern vehicle - just do the smart stuff to get
the percentages working for you. It's not a stupid question - we''ve all been over on HAMB - this is a friendlier group. Welcome..

Ben in Austin
1950 F1 (351W/AOD)

Old 04-14-2013, 06:20 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AXracer
Please NO! 4 point seat belts are for racing only. They are not legal nor safe for street use.
AX - I didn't proof my statement THREE point Thanks for catching that

Old 04-14-2013, 07:15 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
I agree it would take a LOT of money, a LOT of engineering, and a LOT of patience and time, but, compared to some of the other crazy ideas that pop up here, this idea is at least interesting and productive. Go for it! The technology most likely doesn't exist yet, but it will someday.

My grandpa was a tool and die worker for a large company who helped develop some of the early prototypes of airbag systems. He almost refused to drive a vehicle with an airbag. But, trust me, I've seen tons of minor injuries caused by airbags during accidents. They are NOTHING compared to the alternative.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Here's what I did for safety. Three points belts from Julianos. Go with new only, no junkyard stuff here. I seam welded the cab. Alot of the seams are just spot welded, at least on a F1. You can't do much for frontal impacts as crumple zones aren't easily added. There's very little side impact protection, so I added some. I added door bars inside each door. The door sill area is reinforced under the cab with square tubing. Bear claw latches will keep the doors closed in an impact.
Unfortunatey, we can't make these trucks as safe as a modern vehicle. BTW, Welcome to FTE! We'd love to hear more about your F1.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
aldrowsboy
Freshman User
Thanks to you all for the advice, input and experience you've all had. Makes for a really solid base on which to proceed. I appreciate the help. I especially like ben70359's comment - "It's not a stupid question - we''ve all been over on HAMB - this is a friendlier group. Welcome.."
Nice, very nice - I've read the HAMB posts and you're right, this is friendlier group.
I also just signed up for the $20 annual membership. Got the email receipt back but still don't see the paperclip icon so I can send a few pics.
In the meantime will brief you on someone's question as to my project. 48 Ford F-1, 350 cubic inch small block Chevy, automatic transmission and rear end from '75 Camaroo donor car. Used the front end clip/independent suspension from the same Camarro. All components (engine, tranny, rear end, shocks, suspension, etc etc) have been replaced with new so everything should be tight, safe and road ready. Will use Vintage Air for HVAC, '98 Cadillac 60/40 bench seats and plan to reupholster the full cab and seats in a light brown/tan buckskin colored leather. Paint is bright bright Performance Red (2002 Ford color) with contrasting grill inset painted the same light brown/tan buckskin color as the plastic radio grill and radio "hole filler" panel on the dash. The tan looks very nice with the bright red and like I told my brother "With that color, I won't misplace it."
Intend to keep body and wheels stock and vehicle will be a daily driver for me, at least during spring, summer and fall. It's a dream I've had since the early 60's when my Dad's (aldrowsboy) '48 was my first hot rod. It was a straight six flathead with porta-walls from JC Whitney and the wheels painted silver. It was a farm kid's hot rod but the memories really stuck.
So, that's a bit about my project and will post pics once I get my paperclip icon.
Again, thanks to you all.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Hey Aldrowsboy,
Hmmm.. You should see a paperclip next to a smiley face - when you hit the new thread button or when you hit reply.... Should be just above where you type your message... Maybe there is a minimum # of posts but I don't think so...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1