1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Did you ever.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Did you ever.........

Miss out on a good deal because you dragged your feet and then wanted to kick yourself. I'm sure everyone has.

I found a major part for my OT '37 on eBay with a BIN price that was a pretty decent price. The price was still a good chunk of change so I wanted to be double sure the part would work on my car. I asked around and couldn't get a consensus on whether this part would work. I finally contacted an authority on these cars and he confirmed that it would fit but by then, 3 days, it was sold. The other problem was the although I thought it was a good deal I didn't think it would be an easy sale to the "Finance Department" , you married guys know who I'm talking about. The Finance Department's thought is if it aint' farm related then it's a waste of money. This morning I presented my arguments for the purchase and got a luke warm approval but by then it was gone.

I know, I should have bought it when I first found it listed and faced the consequences later. You know the saying, "It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission". Another one that is apropos is "You snooze, you loose".

One good thing out of this is I now know I have a "Good ahead" card in my wallet for the next major purchase I find

Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM
dmack91
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happens on a regular basis unfortunately.

Most recent was last week at the Portland swap meet. Someone had a new set of side windows for the truck for cheap. I was only part way into the first section and didn't want to pack them around, so I came back about 2 hours later - gone.

Oh well, someone got a good deal. It just wasn't me.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:18 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I missed out on a 38 ford coupe barn find in a local classified. Clearly didn't know what they had. Finance Dept. Rejected. We were at a show and someone was selling the same year, not the same car, and I pointed it out to Finance. She realized too late I was right. Oh well

Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Yeah, Bob, it has happened to me more than I care to remember. But then I have always been a conservative type. Now, if I want it, I buy it.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My motto has always been "If you see a good deal, then buy it!". That's why I have so much stuff.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:34 PM
needhelp49
Elder User
always easier to beg forgiveness then permission that's my story. The easiest thing to do is start a separate car or toy account when you have extra put it in the car account. I have a friend that works at wally world 1 or 2 days a week his extra goes into car account then when a deal comes up you can just buy no financing needed.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:37 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by raytasch
Yeah, Bob, it has happened to me more than I care to remember. But then I have always been a conservative type. Now, if I want it, I buy it.
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
My motto has always been "If you see a good deal, then buy it!". That's why I have so much stuff.
That's good way of thinking but most times my wallet isn't backing me up.

I will admit, I probably stumble on just as many, or if not more, really good deals but the one you miss out on are the ones that sting. Just recently bought a NOS gas tank for the same car on eBay. The seller was a car parts guy but didn't know what the tank was for, thought it was for a early '50s Chevy. I got it for a BIN of $80 plus $37 shipping. I know a few Buick guys that would have paid 3X that for the tank. So I guess it all evens out.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:23 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Without elaborating .Many times

Old 04-13-2013, 03:33 PM
FP
Elder User
I agree about the car/toy account. That's what I do. I'm restoring my 56 VW with those funds. It really helps.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:04 PM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If I see a good deal, I will most likely buy it. Then show the finance dept the regular price. In most cases, by the time you present your case, it's too late. With the long winter's here, I have enough time to research, and buy my part's at a very good price. Just bought a set of front shock's and mount's from CPP, for less than 50% that I could heve bought them locally, and they thru in the top mounting hardware $69.00 total. I bought my frt disc brake kit from a guy on e-bay that sold his project, got the full deal brand new for $160.00, inc shipping. It pays to be patient, But buy it if it's a good deal. To a lot of people, even myself a couple of hundred dollars is a lot of money, but if the price is right, you may have to jump on it. As my project proceeds, with the help of my soon to be 15 yr old and 8 yr old, my wife realises, that it keeps the family active, and teaches the boy's a helpfull hobby. My 2 son's are very active in sport's, and are also very keen on this project I have, they also are A students in school (not my gene's) so when she see's the 3 of us grinding and working, she is very happy, as are the boy';s I'd rather spend 20 grand on a classic, than buy a new vehicle. To each his own, my 2c worth.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 PM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
I've had it happen, but also been on the opposite side. More than once I've listed an item, had what I thought was a fair starting price, as well as (in my mind) a high "buy it now".. Had a couple higher dollar items sold in 15 minutes... Kinda makes me wish I had set price higher

Old 04-13-2013, 04:42 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
Originally Posted by irondragon79
I've had it happen, but also been on the opposite side. More than once I've listed an item, had what I thought was a fair starting price, as well as (in my mind) a high "buy it now".. Had a couple higher dollar items sold in 15 minutes... Kinda makes me wish I had set price higher
Yeah, but then it probably wouldn't have sold...

I sold a lot of small truck parts I've had since at least 2003 the last year I sold at Carlisle. This money is mine to spend on my trucks as I want. I like that freedom. In the summer I now some yards and that money is mine too.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:49 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Gotta have a separate Truck Stuff account - makes everybody happier.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:42 PM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Missed out on a tig welder at Charlotte AutoFair a few years ago. I knew it was a great deal when I saw it but it was early on the first day and I had just started out and didn't want to stop long enough to do the deal. Came back by a couple hours later and it was gone.

But...there have been many times when I've probably been better off not getting what I thought was a good buy.

And, the separate account thing works if you can get away with it.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Gotta have a separate Truck Stuff account - makes everybody happier.
Most times I barely have money for.the one account we have together.

Originally Posted by 19fifty4
And, the separate account thing works if you can get away with it.
Yeah, I agree.

Quick Reply: Did you ever.........