6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Oil system maintenance and upgrades - complete list

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 09:16 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil system maintenance and upgrades - complete list

Recommended:

Drain and refill oiling system with Rotella T6 5W-40
Add Rev-X or Hot Shot Secret to oiling system
Motorcraft oil filter
Motorcraft oil filter cap
Fumoto oil drain valve
Motorcraft updated oil cooler
Motorcraft updated STC fitting
Motorcraft updated HPOP screen
Motorcraft updated dummy plugs
Motorcraft updated stand pipes
Motorcraft updated turbo oil feed line
Motorcraft updated turbo oil return line
Motorcraft updated oil dipstick
Motorcraft updated IPR screen

Optional:
Install aftermarket metal oil filter cap (BPD, Sinister)
Install aftermarket metal oil fill cap (BPD, Sinister)
Install aftermarket bypass oil filter setup (BPD, Sinister, Amsoil)
Install aftermarket oil cooler assembly (IPR or BPD)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil pump screen (IPR)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil delivery system (Diesel Site)
Install aftermarket high pressure oil pump (03-04.5 trucks) (Diesel Site)
Upgrade to 04.5-up high pressure oil pump (03-04.5 trucks) (OEM parts)

I think about everyone on here knows about using Rotella T6, Rev-X, OEM filters, OEM filter cap, and a Fumoto drain valve, so I'm not gonna go into that. Hot Shot Secret is also preferred by some people, so it really seems to be just a preference thing anymore. The updated STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, turbo feed and return lines, IPR screen, and dipstick all make sense. They were parts that were re-designed and updated by Ford. They are things that should be installed during an oil cooler job as most of them can easily be accessed during this process. As far as the updated parts thing - from what I can tell none of those parts made it onto any 6.0 besides the oil feed line. Late 06 and 07's had them from what I've read along with possibly the dipstick. I know without a doubt the updated oil cooler, STC fitting, HPOP screen, dummy plugs, stand pipes, oil return line, and IPR screen never made it on a 6.0. They were all parts that were created after the 6.0 finished its production run. Also, just to clarify, the HPOP screen is the same as the oil cooler screen. Some people just refer to it differently. The updated oil cooler kit (11 row) comes with the updated (stainless) oil cooler screen. Also, the updated STC fitting kit (stronger) comes with the updated (stainless) IPR screen as well.

Now, about the optional stuff. There are the optional metal caps out there. They are generally for the guys who are adding accessories like oil temp gauges, bypass oil filtration setups, etc. Generally the plastic caps don't have any issues unless someone is over-tightening them. I myself can't justify the price of the metal caps for looks-only. The bypass oil filter setup seems to just be one of those extra "things" you can install if you have the money. These trucks aren't fans of extended drain intervals, and it's been shown the OEM filter does a perfectly adequate job of filtering the oil, especially if you are using a good oil like Rotella T6. There's quite a few people out there who advise against the bypass filters as no matter what the 6.0 shears oil. Diesel Site just recently release the high pressure oil delivery system and in theory it's cool idea. I myself will wait for some reviews before I invest the 1200 dollars into it. I would highly recommend the Diesel Site HPOP for the 03-04.5 guys who need to replace their pump as the OEM pump has a much higher failure rate than the 04.5-up guys. Also, you have the option to upgrade to the later pump as well. IPR recently released the extreme duty oil cooler screen and although it makes sense, the OEM oil cooler screen was updated to a stainless steel mesh to prevent issues. To me the IPR screen is going to be more of bling item as I haven't heard of the updated oil cooler screen failing unless there were other issues with the truck.

The oil cooler debate is a very heavy one around here. You have 3 setups generally - OEM, IPPR's remote setup, and BPD's air/oil setup. The OEM setup has been shown to work perfect with proper cooling system maintenance, and everyone here knows how it works. Ford has an updated oil cooler out now, so a lot of people choose to simply replace it for peace of mind. IPPR has what appears to be a great setup, but has draw-backs. It doesn't really provide any additional oil cooling ability, just makes it easier to replace the oil cooler down the road. It requires you to run the 100% filtration setup and makes it harder to perform normal oil changes, plus it's a bit pricey and hasn't really been proven well. BPD's setup is great and works extremely well, but you lose the ability to warm the oil using the cooling system and it may not be a good idea for those of us in very cold weather, plus it's VERY costly.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:01 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's what my list looks like:

Perform oil pressure, oil temperature test, and oil consumption test
Perform routine oil change and inspection using Rotella T6 oil and Motorcraft OEM oil filter (every 5,000 miles)
Motorcraft oil filter housing cap (includes seal) (85,923)
Fumoto oil drain valve (includes seal) (85,923)
Motorcraft updated oil dipstick (86,264)
Motorcraft oil pressure switch (includes seal) (81,362)
Motorcraft updated oil cooler kit (includes seals, screen, and cooler)(89,717)
Motorcraft updated HPOP STC fitting kit (includes seals, screen, hardware, bracket, and fittings) (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure dummy rail plugs (includes seals) (89,717)
Motorcraft updated high pressure stand pipes (includes seals) (89,717)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil feed line (includes seals and hardware) (89,717)
Motorcraft updated turbo oil drain line (includes seals) (89,717)

Currently I'm on the fence between Hot Shot Secret or REV-X. Going to do a bit more reading. Currently using REV-X but have thought about switching.