Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Perplexing Front End Klunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 07:59 PM
camcole
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Perplexing Front End Klunking Noise

I have a 2000 F350 4x4 SuperDuty Crew Cab Diesel. A few weeks ago the truck started a Klunk when applying the breaks. It doesn't do it every time I break but it is starting to do it more often now. I have completely tightened every bolt, checked every bushing, taken it down to the axels, and checked every U-Bolt. I thought at first since it klunks only when applying the breaks it was in the breaks but I couldn't find anything. I then took out the front driveshaft and then took out the rear driveshaft and it still has the klunking noise. Finally I spoke with a Ford Rep who said that the Crew Cabs had a problem with "oil canning", so on his recommendation I loosened all the body mount bolts and I still have the klunking. The only thing I can think now is that the noise is coming from the Front Spring Rubbers. Before I go through the trouble of having new spring rubbers installed, has anyone had this problem, and what did you do to fix it? Oh yeah the spring rubbers look to be in good shape as well.

Old 06-05-2003, 03:34 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days and have two things to say.

1 Get under the truck with a rubber mallet and go to work. Fix anything that makes noise.

2 Check and see if the front or rear calipers have any movement in them. I've heard of rigs where the calipers were a little sloppy and when you hit the brakes the caliper would clamp to the rotor and move with it for an instant then hit the end of the play and clunk to a stop. Just a fraction of an inch but it was enough. I have never taken my calipers off so I don't know if there's any way for them to have play but it's just a thought.

Old 06-08-2003, 08:43 AM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree. I am not sure how your calipers are put on but on my 87 F-250 the caliper pins that slide in are not quite big enough I think and it makes things a little loose. The caliper sometimes wobbles a bit even when driving at low speeds. WHen you are at high speeds you can't hear it. I would check your calipers. See if they move at all. Like rrmike said even a spec of movement is enough to cause strange and annoying noises. Good luck!

-Matt