Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Senior User

walkee is starting off with a positive reputation.
Conversion from recirc to fresh air heater

Hi all,

I have the idea to change my existing recirculating heater to fresh air. Seems I have to change some things at the kick panel and I have to start a search for the ducts. I already have the vents and louvers (for both sides).

The main question for me is : do I have to replace the heater and blower as well ? Or can I keep the heater unit and the front cover with the round air outlets and "just" fit the long and kinda S-formed duct to the heater unit ? And there is another duct for the passage to the kick panel to complete it.

The S-formed duct also seems to have a fresh air block-off inside, moved by a cable, is that right ?

Would be pleased to get some input, Tom
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior User

F-100CustomCabTBC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkee View Post
Hi all,

I have the idea to change my existing recirculating heater to fresh air. Seems I have to change some things at the kick panel and I have to start a search for the ducts. I already have the vents and louvers (for both sides).

The main question for me is : do I have to replace the heater and blower as well ? Or can I keep the heater unit and the front cover with the round air outlets and "just" fit the long and kinda S-formed duct to the heater unit ? And there is another duct for the passage to the kick panel to complete it.

The S-formed duct also seems to have a fresh air block-off inside, moved by a cable, is that right ?

Would be pleased to get some input, Tom
You don't have to change the blower half of the heater box. Just the half that holds the actual heater core (the back half that bolts up to the firewall)

And yes you will need to get a duct piece that goes in the kick panel.

And yes the fresh air heater has another cable. The function of that cable is to close off or open up for fresh air from outside. I am not sure where that cable is operated from right now. I would have to look into that.

'58 F-100 Resto Project: http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/79...project-2.html
Old 04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
Senior User

Hi Blaine,

thanks a lot for your detailed info and the pics !
But now I have another question : the two waterpipes from the heater heading trough the firewall are crossing the position of the assumed fresh air duct.

Are there holes in the duct for the pipes or are they routing a different way when having a fresh air heater ? Looking at your 1st pic the pipes run parallel to the RH mounting bolt about 1 inch RH from it.

Thanks, Tom
Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkee View Post
Hi Blaine,

thanks a lot for your detailed info and the pics !
But now I have another question : the two waterpipes from the heater heading trough the firewall are crossing the position of the assumed fresh air duct.

Are there holes in the duct for the pipes or are they routing a different way when having a fresh air heater ? Looking at your 1st pic the pipes run parallel to the RH mounting bolt about 1 inch RH from it.

Thanks, Tom
You should be able to reuse the same heater core whether you have or don't have the fresh air option. The fresh air option should be just added onto the heater box and not affect the heater core. But I can double check when I can find some time.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Senior User

Yes Blaine, I would ask you or anybody else for a double check. Please see the pic below, itīs a shot from the bottom of the RH kick panel upwards to the heater. RH is firewall, LH is the blower housing and above is the glove compartment.

The water pipes seem to be in the way of the fresh air duct, arenīt they ?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Senior User

I can take pictures this weekend I have both styles of the heater but I think what it is, is the fresh air box is closer to the firewall but still uses the same heater core. The reason why I think that is I think the heater core I currently have in my fresh air heater was from a recirc. heater.

I will take a few pics this weekend of both heater boxes with the heater cores in them.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 PM
Senior User

Here are some pictures of both styles side by side. From what I see the fresh air heater has just the extra duct work riveted onto the normal recirulating air heater box. Both heater cores that I have fit in either heater box. One was originally from the recirc. heater and the other from the fresh air heater.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Here are some pictures of both styles side by side. From what I see the fresh air heater has just the extra duct work riveted onto the normal recirulating air heater box. Both heater cores that I have fit in either heater box. One was originally from the recirc. heater and the other from the fresh air heater.

Blaine, these pics and the infos help a lot ! Thank you for clarifying the heater core fits in either heater box. Pic #6 shows the duct from firewall side and there is a square opening to let the heater pipes pass.

Does anybody know there is kind of a grommet to seal opening and pipes from fresh air going wrong way ? Well anyway, I can create something to make it seal.

Now itīs my turn to find the fresh air parts. Is there anybody whoīs willing to trade ?

Youīre very helpful Blaine, thanks a lot !
Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks