Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

front brakes are dragging

Old 04-11-2013, 04:41 AM
fred/ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front brakes are dragging

first it was the RH now after replacing the rotors , calipers and new shoes.
the LH is now doing it. ????????????
it doesn't stop the truck just gets hot , the wheel, and u can smell it.
the truck is a 97 f150 ext cab 2wd short box,
had since new and has over 200,000 miles and going stronge until now.
I want to get 300000.0 before I let her go.
had to replace a rear axle brake line years ago, and do not think the lines
were bleed right, the brakes never work just right.
what say u ?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
I have same with only 54,000 miles. First the right and then the left after replacing same because calipers had stuck from sitting. Now looking at caliper rebuild because I was very careful with hoses and would think they had not been touched with few miles on it. Or that both would go out. I flushed fluid when I did brakes but now wonder about any special bleed procedure?

Maybe we just have same symptoms?

Old 09-24-2014, 08:55 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
If neither of you have not checked the flexible brake lines that could be at the root of your issues.

I don't necessarily advocate changing parts without good reason those lines have been know to look almost perfect but collapse inside, essentially creating a check valve or at least a restriction that doesn't allow pressure to bleed off according to the master cylinder's actions.

HTH

Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM
E_Net_Rider
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
If neither of you have not checked the flexible brake lines that could be at the root of your issues.

I don't necessarily advocate changing parts without good reason those lines have been know to look almost perfect but collapse inside, essentially creating a check valve or at least a restriction that doesn't allow pressure to bleed off according to the master cylinder's actions.

HTH
I know exactly what you mean but it is usually after someone abused them by not properly hanging caliper when doing work. With the past mileage, it is doubtful they had already been worked on and I supported them carefully. Also, both going within a couple of thousand miles, but then it was within a couple of thousand miles of work as well. That would indicate just crappy hoses unless someone did actually abuse them leading to the first brake job and it was not just that pistons froze because of lack of use. Dad's truck before me and monthly runs for upkeep were not done for a couple of years.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:23 PM
BluegrassPicker
5th Wheeling
I had the same symptoms twice several years ago.

The first time, I found that the phenolic pistons in the calipers that I had installed previously were causing the sticking after a few months. I replaced those calipers with ones with metal pistons and solved the problem, and no re-ocurrances after *many* miles now.

Years later I replaced pads on the front of the same truck and immediately had dragging issues. I found that the "cheap" Schuck's (now O'reilly) house brand pads had a anti-rattle shim that caused the pads to close down just slightly tighter than the more expensive pads that I replaced them with. Problem solved. However not until after I tried just about everything else including replacing hoses, bleeding several times, etc. before finding the problem.

Just throwing these experiences out in case they give you some ideas with your situation...