Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird braking/clutch? issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Ryan0214
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird braking/clutch? issue

I really don't know how to accurately describe the issue I'm having, but I will give it a shot. I have had a few friends ride with me and when it happens, they have no idea what it could be.

So it will happen usually 1-2 times a day, from a cold start and on my first brake, and only when I start and then stop a few yards later (such as when pulling out of my driveway and stopping at the stop sign on my street).

With the clutch disengaged (pedal pushed in) while in first gear, as I am coming to a stop the brake will be extremely rough. To me it feels similar to when you come to a stop in gear without pushing the clutch in, and the truck goes to die. But whenever it happens to me, the truck doesn't die, it just brakes really rough and then comes to a stop.

This same issue was happening a few months ago, and then my slave cylinder in my tranny went out. I had that fixed, and haven't had this issue since then. I don't know if they were related, but it is a brand new slave cylinder, so I can't imagine that would be the problem. At least I really hope not.

Hopefully somebody will have an idea, any input is appreciated. And if I didn't elaborate on something correctly, feel free to ask me.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Ryan0214
Junior User
Update: Figured out it is my rear wheels locking up as I come to a brake. I have a feeling it is my abs, since these trucks were equipped with rear wheel abs. But I have no idea how to diagnose this, or even what to do about it, since abs is controlled by the computer.

Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Ryan0214
Junior User
I went and talked to my highschool automotive teacher about the issue today, after finding out it isn't my brakes locking up. Of course he had to give me **** about not remembering what I learned in class. I described the issue, and he said it sounds like something to do with the engine since it only happens from a cold start.

I pulled the codes, got two ignition/misfire codes, secondary air injection system failure, and catalyst system failure. He told me to go through everything, it could be a plugged air filter, dirty injectors, spark plugs, wires, or cap and rotor. The air filter was filthy, so I put a new one in today. I'm going to run some BG 44k injector cleaner tomorrow, and put new spark plugs. I will inspect the wires and the cap and rotor, and hope all of that helps.

I know nobody else has responded, but I'm still wondering if anybody else has any ideas on what could cause this problem. I'm hoping its not the beginning of a bigger problem.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Ryan0214
Junior User
Put new spark plugs in, didn't do anything for the issue I'm having, but it needed it anyways. Took the rear tires off and inspected the drums, the passenger side wheel cylinder was leaking fluid, so I went ahead and replaced it. Second I pulled out of my driveway, the driver side rear wheel locked up. Took the drum off and adjusted the brake, it hasn't been happening now unless I push on the brakes really hard. Which leads me to my next question...

I know these trucks are equipped with rear wheel ABS (pointless I know) the light comes on when I turn the ignition on so I know the light isn't misfunctioning or anything like that. But I would think that the ABS system in place in this truck would keep the rear tires from locking up under hard braking. Unless the system itself is completely pointless in this model year and does nothing. But the ABS light never comes on. So I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas on this.

But the issue doesn't happen from a cold start anymore, so I think adjusting the brakes in the rear helped it. Now it just happens under hard braking.