Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

California, Southern Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: wpnaes

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 AM
New User

irishredcoat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help with my 72 F250 carb

My truck has problems starting. It will turn over after a few seconds, idle rough than stall out. I do this 2-3 times and eventually it will idle correctly and stay running. I read a post and one member suggested to a guy that it was an issue with the choke. I am not very knowledgeable about engine repair but I am a fast learner. Any info you need to help me out, I will do my best to provide. Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
There is usually a thermostatic, bi-metallic spring that shuts the choke mechanism when it's cold, and opens when warm.

The choke shaft gets crudded-up, along with the little inter-connecting rods, and needs to be cleaned.

This is the job of an aerosol can of "Choke Cleaner", available at your favorite Pep Boys or similar.

Go get a can and report back with the carb's "make". It should be Motorcraft or Holly (or similar).

Pick up a pair of nitrile gloves somewhere along the way, too.

We'll get you through this.

If you're close enough to one of us, maybe someone will drop by with a hands-on tutorial.

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
New User

Thanks Pop and nice to meet you. I know its a motorcraft but not sure which one. It has the housing for an electric choke (some of it) but it was converted to a manual choke and its home made. I was just researching the MC 2150 and learning about the different parts of the carb so what your saying sounds familiar but I will have to look at a diagram. I will take a picture of it when I get home tonight. I live in Riverside. Thanks again
Old 04-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
If you know how to use them, manual chokes are to be preferred!

That goes for a LOT of stuff, btw!

Not sure who we've got in the Riverside area that can assist, but SOMEONE will stumble along who knows carbs.

Otherwise, we'll do it here, over the interwebz.

First thing you'll want to do is pull off the air cleaner so we can see what we're dealing with.

Got the aerosol can in hand?

Pop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350
Old 04-10-2013, 09:03 PM
New User

I wont be able to work on her until this Saturday, I work 10+ and i get home too late to crank her up or anything. I will check back in periodically over the next few days and come Saturday I will be ready to proceed. I didnt expect anyone to answer so fast, Your Awesome Pop!
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 AM
FTE SoCal Chapter LDR

wpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputationwpnaes has a superb reputation
Yeah, we like to keep 'Awesome Pop' around for these types of challenges!
2000 Excursion XLT V10 4x4 170K, front V's, rear mod'd C's,, 315's, winch bumpers F/R, Viair system, Piaa lighting, Hellwig rear, dual Optimas, oily K&N, RedHeaded, scratchy paint, love taps at each corner.

Join the So Cal chapter here
Old 04-11-2013, 01:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Western Region > California, Southern Chapter