Notices
2009 - 2014 F150 Discuss the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

You may need a weight distribution hitch (WDH)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may need a weight distribution hitch (WDH)

Let me explain. I bought a 2012 FX4 screw Ecoboost with Max tow pkg and 6.5 bed.
Took delivery last May. I maybe to lame but I thought that when you order a Max tow pkg it was just that. Come to find out that the hitch they put on is rated for 500/5000 without a weight Dist hitch. Why does Ford put such a small hitch on a truck that can tow >10,000 lbs.
I went to the local tool rental place today to get a quote for rental on a excavator. They asked me what size hitch I had and there reply was you can oly rent our smallest machine because of the capacity of the hitch. Just seems like Ford could put a hitch on that would be close to the max towing capacity.
Curt has a hitch for the truck rated at 1,000/ 10,000. I would like to remove the factory hitch and install the Curt. Is it possible to do that?
I went to the Ford dealership today and they don't have a clue what to do.
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Welp ... According to the FoMoCo 2012 literature (sales brochure, order guide) the Max Trailer Tow Package includes a Class IV trailer hitch receiver.

Class 4 (Class IV) trailer hitch
Trailer hitch with weight carrying rating of up to 10,000 lbs gross trailer weight and 1,000 - 1,200 lbs tongue weight. Although many times any hitch with a capacity greater than 5,000 lbs gross weight is referred to as a Class 4.

------------------------------

-click- the pic'
Goth 150
< This space intentionally -blank- >

Old 04-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Billyclub
Senior User
Now I'm really confused!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:41 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
It won't benefit you any. The idea behind a weight distributing hitch is not to make life easier for the hitch, it is to "distribute" weight to the front axle. Ford apparently does not want that much weight alone hanging off the hitch without the assistance of a weight distributing hitch.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:58 PM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Ford's towing guide, all F150's are limited to 500/5000 when used without a weight distributing hitch. The only way to achieve the max tow rating is with a weight distributing hitch. All half tons are like that.

GM trucks are limited to 600/5000.
Ram is limited to 5000lbs as well.

Even the Super Duty trucks have specific limits when used without a Weight Distributing hitch:

SRW Super Duty with 6.2L: 600/6000
SRW Super Duty with 6.7L diesel: 850/8500
All DRW Super Dutys: 850/8500

That's why it's important to read the fine print.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
Here's a pic of said hitch.
Name:  5087E35C-10D4-C5F3-73EA-C084D5E472B8_zps40b73673.jpg
Views: 23837
Size:  89.2 KB
The more tension you put on the chains, using the trailer ball as a fulcrum, it wants to pivot the hitch toward the front axle, moving weight forward. The hitch is still holding all of the applied tongue weight. Clear as mud?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Skoiv
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I found this out about a year ago and was pretty pissed. I thought it was very misleading by Ford. So in actuality there are a ton of people that could get fined pretty bad if the cops wanted to push the issue. Obviously this affects all half tons. I'm not about to go out and spend more money on that goofy distribution set up.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,294 Posts
Max tow ratings are always with weight distributing hitches. Nothing new with those, my GF's dad used one on his car/trailer combo over 40 years ago. Nothing "goofy" about them.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-10-2013, 12:02 AM
03 SVT VERT
Senior User
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Max tow ratings are always with weight distributing hitches. Nothing new with those, my GF's dad used one on his car/trailer combo over 40 years ago. Nothing "goofy" about them.
While I do agree that this is nothing new, I can also understand the frustration.

This is one of those things manufacturers don't like to talk about or advertise. Why? Because all the half tons have a similar weight carrying capacity. Therefore, they figure it's not really worth mentioning.

Instead, they would rather advertise the max tow numbers with a weight distributing hitch and hide that little part about using the right equipment somewhere in the fine print.

Trailer manufacturers don't typically like to advertise this either. All they want to do is sell trailers. They figure it's up to the truck owner to know the capabilities of their truck and the equipment required.

I was hoping the new SAE J2807 towing standard would address this, as it has specific requirements for each hitch type. Unfortunately though, it doesn't seem to. As Toyota is following the new standard, yet they don't mention a weight distributing hitch in any of their advertising outside of, " confirm [...] that you have any necessary additional equipment." But yet, if you look in the Tundra's owners manual it says very clearly:
"If the gross trailer weight is over 5000 lb. (2268 kg), a weight distributing hitch with sufficient capacity is required."

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
Very good information, thank you everyone. I feel better knowing that this isn't a Ford being cheap issue. It's a safety issue which I can live with. I don't like the fact that if you tow multiple trailers you need to assemble the WD hitch EVERYTIME you tow a different trailer. I think I will go with the Blue Ox SwayPro. I will mount the trailer brackets on my TT permanently with bolts and buy a second set of brackets that clamp onto other trailers.
Really it's not that big a deal when I stop and think about it. I guess I just felt as though Ford was trying to skimp out and not install proper sized receivers. After my experience with the "Low speed shutter problem" I'm just bitter with Ford in general.
Lesson learned
Glenn

Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
With the OP's permission:

I changed the name of the thread and moved it as a sticky. This particular information hasn't come up in this fashion before as I recall.

So, the bottom line is, read the towing section of your owner's guide before making a huge purchase on a TT or other recreational towed vehicle.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Lady Fitzgerald
Mountain Pass
Anyone trying to tow over 5000 lb. without a WDH will probably be disappointed with how the rig will handle. Whenever weight is added to a vehicle's hitch, the vehicle will act as a lever with the rear axle as the fulcrum and will pull weight off the front axle. Pull enough weight off the front axle and steering becomes very unstable; it will be hard to drive in a straight line and the trailer will fish tail like the rear end of a happy halibut (been there, done that, not fun). The WDH transfers some or all of that "lost" weight back to the front axle, improving stability. The need for a WDH when towing larger trailers has always existed.

What bites my ample asset is Ford rates the tongue weight of the receiver at only 10% of the max tow rating. While a 10% tongue weight is common on low profile trailers like car haulers and boat trailers, most travel trailers will range from 12% up to as much as 20% tongue to help compensate for the sail effect from the higher profiles of most travel trailers. Because of that, even if one can keep the GCVWR of a rig within range, one will often be unable to pull the full max tow amount because the tongue weight will have exceeded the rating of the receiver. Way to go, Ford!

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Hunt89
Senior User
I found this link to be very interesting.

Common Weight Distribution and Sway Control Questions | etrailer.com

I thought I was going to buy one any use it for any heavy trailer I pull but it sounds like you just can't buy a "universal" weight distribution hitch. I guess you could as long as the difrent trailers are near the same wieght. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Billyclub
Senior User
From what I have read the trunion bars or spring bars need to closely approximate the tongue weight of your load. Example 700lb TW would be a 750lb spring bar. I would thnk it would be a little better to be over than under your tongue weight. You don't want to exceed the TW too much as it will affect steering and response of vehicle when towing. More is not necessarily better in this case.
eTrailer is a great website and has excellent tutorials on both their website and on YouTube. Had nothing but great service and shipping when I've ordered from them.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:23 AM
96sherm
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it makes you feel any better... My F250 is the same. The hitch is only rated or 6250lbs or something unless I use a WD hitch, then its the full 12500lbs or whatever the truck is good for.

Quick Reply: You may need a weight distribution hitch (WDH)