Sponsored by:

How fast do tow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
AtomicNo13
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How fast do tow?

Just curious, how fast do you drive when you are towing a big trailer? A travel trailer?
I tow my 34' Airstream in the right lane, 55-60 mph. I get decent mileage, and feel like I can react to bad situations faster. What say you?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Always did the speed limit, but I've pulled an 11K load and most anything else I tow around 65-70 mph. Never had an issue and the truck just kept going like nothing was behind it.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
The definition of "large" varies; I've towed over 61,000 lbs before.

When towing any sort of trailer speed has a much larger impact on fuel economy, and stability during any kind of evasive maneuver is far worse. I like to tow between 60-65 MPH depending on conditions, as the fuel savings more than pays for the extra few minutes I spend on the road.

Here was my most recent tow, total weight was over 9,500 lbs:

Old 04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I pull my 10,000 fifth wheel between 60 and 65..

Old 04-08-2013, 05:52 PM
sccamper
Mountain Pass
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
I try to stay around the speed limit. Which around here can be up to 65-70 mph. 70 has been my limit with my past tow vehicles(1/2 ton). Have only got to tow the camper(30 ft 6000#) with Excursion once so far. Got on the interstate for 8 miles between exits on the way home, 70-75 mph with lite traffic and it felt great.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
It's all about the load, road, and traffic conditions for me. I'm always around the speed limit, which can be as much as 80MPH on stretches of road I travel frequently. Any faster with 10K#+ behind me isn't very comfortable in the X.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by william_04_x
It's all about the load, road, and traffic conditions for me. I'm always around the speed limit, which can be as much as 80MPH on stretches of road I travel frequently. Any faster with 10K#+ behind me isn't very comfortable in the X.
Yikes..

Old 04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your stock trailer tires are rated for 65mph. Keep that in mind when your kicking 80+. I love laughing at the guys that go flying by at 75-80, probably having never even checked their pressures, and I see them on the side of the road with a sizable chunk of their trailer torn out from a blowout. Even worse if they can't control it and they hurt or kill someone.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:19 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Archion
Your stock trailer tires are rated for 65mph. Keep that in mind when your kicking 80+. I love laughing at the guys that go flying by at 75-80, probably having never even checked their pressures, and I see them on the side of the road with a sizable chunk of their trailer torn out from a blowout. Even worse if they can't control it and they hurt or kill someone.
I know what they're rated for, I'm very diligent about the condition/state of my tires, and have over 100K miles towing my personal toy hauler. Thanks for the public service message.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Archion
Postmaster
I'm glad you take care of you stuff, lets put it another way for those that are not as diligent and mindful. If you get in an accident, cause damage, take a life or any/all of the above, and there is a hint of being over specified limits, be it speed, weight etc in the report/investigation. Good luck getting the insurance to cover it and good luck with not being dropped like a rock. Just like back home in VA, any modified suspension, lifted or lowered, can be deemed illegal, and the insurance companies have all the power in the world to deny coverage.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Archion
I'm glad you take care of you stuff, lets put it another way for those that are not as diligent and mindful. If you get in an accident, cause damage, take a life or any/all of the above, and there is a hint of being over specified limits, be it speed, weight etc in the report/investigation. Good luck getting the insurance to cover it and good luck with not being dropped like a rock. Just like back home in VA, any modified suspension, lifted or lowered, can be deemed illegal, and the insurance companies have all the power in the world to deny coverage.
You're making a lot of assumptions.

The OP asked a question, and I replied. It's a big, bad world, and anything can happen. Most of the time I don't drive around like a reckless idiot. If conditions are appropriate, I'll push it.

Until you know more about who I am, go try and pizz up someone elses leg.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Crazy001

When towing any sort of trailer speed has a much larger impact on fuel economy, and stability during any kind of evasive maneuver is far worse. I like to tow between 60-65 MPH depending on conditions, as the fuel savings more than pays for the extra few minutes I spend on the road.

That is one big tail to wag that doggy...

Last edited by Bigpipes 35; 04-08-2013 at 09:43 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 04-08-2013, 10:08 PM
az_r2d1
Posting Guru

Whoa that's a big sucker.
What are you going to do once the EX is sold ?
No way that f150 can handle that.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
mtnsammy
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
60-65 at most. Some downhill runs I found myself at 70 but I know the Ex does not have the stability my Dually had. With the Dually I felt secure 70-75 but still kept it 60-65. With the diesel I pull best at 65-70. I hope the chip will help out closer to 65 as I like that speed best.

My biggest concern has always been the ability to stop quick or go around trash without sway. The Ex does not have enough control in these areas, or at least to my liking. On a side note with 23 years pushing a sled as a cop I have driven over 140, slid on ice at 55, jumped embankments, done 180 spins and played doing all sorts of stupid acts called Executive Protection driving. Cute name for driving stupid but I learned how bad things can be. The longer the trailer and the heavier it is will also determine how fast. My trailer is 20 feet and weighs 7000 loaded. It is the most stable trailer I have pulled in 20 years. My last was a 38 foot 5th topping 15,000. It too was stable but I think the triple axle and dually on the truck gave it stability.

Drive and try to stop or turn quick to see where you are comfortable. Just like racing it is not how fast you can drive but how fast can you stop. Most of all drive and tow as much as you can and enjoy the fun that goes with it.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 238 Likes on 183 Posts
And I will say, load distribution in said trailer will make a large difference also, we have a 16' enclosed trailer for our BBQ Facade and coolers/supplies, and once in a hurry, most of bottled water/soda's and heavy coolers were behind rear axle, trailer really pushed and swayed bad, and it is not heavy nor long, so do keep that in mind. Also used to have a Rag'en Toyhauler, loaded w/water and fuel and the kitchen sink it was around 11k, always towed great, but I usually had large Polaris 700 quad slightly forward of axles, and KTM behind, experimented with layout, but always went back to quad up front.
I usually run 55-65, as CA Law is 55 if towing ANYTHING, and you are RESTRICTED to the right 2 lanes ONLY (truckers and tow-ers from out of state, PAY ATTENTION)
My 5th wheel has a cushioned 5th to goose-neck adapter, it tows great, and also, I run 55-65, depends as stated in earlier posts, depends on traffic, road conditions and so on.
I spent 6 yrs in the Marines as a "Vehicle Recovery Mechanic" MOS 3523 and have towed LOTS of large/weird heavy, broken, and awkward stuff, and I have a bazillion miles commercial and personal towing and I still see those that don't know what they are doing, going way to fast for their abilities, not paying attention to their rig, and not knowing local laws.
So the short answer is 55-65

Quick Reply: How fast do tow?