Offroad & 4x4
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big lift, linked suspension with leafs? Any point?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:40 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big lift, linked suspension with leafs? Any point?

Hey guys, i got a 94 f250, i did the d60 swap in the front, and have 5" drop shackle reversal with 6" lift leaf springs. Its pretty sloppy. The axle moves all over.. This isnt a major offroad truck, just a weekend truck with lockers that i like to push the limits in.. So, anyone heard of linking a leaf spring set up?? Any benefits? Like a 2 link, one point to frame, 2 points on axle. So instead of axle moving front to back some on compression, it just goes in vertical motion only, as shackles would move.
Any thoughts?

Old 04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you mean sorta like a ladder bar setup for the front axle?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
I guess ya. Any benefit?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:28 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like I remember trying to talk you out of lifting the truck this high months ago and your replies basically lead in the direction stfu...

No, you cannot mix and match suspension types. It simply doesnt work that way. Shackles and spring compression allows the axle to move front to back - or basically in an arch as it compresses and rebounds. Limiting this on a street truck will give you a seriously crappy ride. The only link possible would be either a track bar or sway bar but these will really only fix the feeling of body roll on a leaf spring truck because there is no need to center an axle that is already fairly rigidly mounted.

When you say the "axle moves all over the place," what do you mean? My first thought is you either have worn parts or that your axle isn't square in the frame - ie poorly built shackle reversal. Are your ball joints, bearings, bushings and tie rods in good shape? Are your ubolts and all mounting bolts tight?

Old 04-08-2013, 02:43 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
when you put the D-60in, did you put a track bar on? that is needed to keep the axle centered under the truck.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Not on trucks with a shackle reversal

EDIT...

looking back I see you have a kingpin 60.

Read this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...d-a-trick.html

Old 04-08-2013, 03:46 PM
bobracing
Junior User
I'm thinking a panard bar will probably help with a lot of the problems. I'd think it needed to be as long as possible and installed correctly.

Yes, a 4 link and leaf springs can be used together but the leafs have to have a shackles on both ends. The springs and links will not run in the same radius if not and stress something until it breaks.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Ive seen that done on rear suspensions (Karl has something similar on his race truck- ladder bars, single leaf, sliders and coilovers) but why would you ever do that as a solution to a wandering street driven truck? Its asinine.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Works just like a coil spring if you shackle both ends and 3/4 link it. Links control movement of axle and the leaf only acts as a spring instead of as a spring and axle locator. Not ideal, but I've seen it done for space/packaging reasons.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:37 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
Well i apologize alpha if i came off that way. I didnt mean to. No i have out in a track bar yet, i still need to. Thats all the movement really. I was just wondering if ladder bars were something guys were doing some special reason. But you all have answered me. Thank you, whats the best way to incorperate a track bar? Points of connection should be farthest possible apart right? And should be parrelle to axle as much as possible right?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Passenger side axle and driver side frame is the common connection point. You can weld tabs to either the axle tube or either the ubolt plate if you have them flipped so they look like a U when bolted up. On the frame end you can buy a pan hard/track bar bracket from Ruffstuff or Ballistic or make your own of similar design. Use heims and DOM for the link 3/4x3/4 heims and 1.5 x.250 DOM would work well. The angle should match your drag link angle.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:48 PM
rollinblackcloud
Senior User
Awesome thank you

Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
Originally Posted by rollinblackcloud
whats the best way to incorperate a track bar? Points of connection should be farthest possible apart right? And should be parrelle to axle as much as possible right?

they usually mount to the crossmember where the pivot bracket for the IFS mounts, and to the passenger side of the D-60 axle.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
For the stock setup that flexes about a half inch... Stock tracbar is way too short to avoid bumpsteer if he has any kind of travel. Needs to be as close as possible to same length and angle as the drag link.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:02 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess i missed his point, thought he was talking bout the axle moving front to back of the truck, not side to side...?

Quick Reply: Big lift, linked suspension with leafs? Any point?