General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anybody familiar with John Deere 116 riding mowers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:13 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anybody familiar with John Deere 116 riding mowers?

I "inherited" a john deere model 116 rider. Me and my son got it running,but it needs lots of work still,and i will need it in a week or 2 to cut grass. The main problem is that the deck belt(not sure if this is the right name for the belt,it's the one that runs the blades,not the one that goes from the motor to the deck.) How hard is this belt to replace? does the deck have to come off? How do you measure the deck size,from one side to the other or just cutting area? I need to know this because there are 2 different size decks,the 38" and 42". thanks for any help!!

Old 04-08-2013, 05:03 AM
ckal704
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not intimately familiar with the 116, but measure from blade tip to blade tip. You'll probably have to remove the deck as many have a sheet metal cover over that deck belt.
Most places I patronize would give me both belts with the option to return the one that was not right.
That tractor has the opposed twin cylinder B&S engine, right? Make sure you keep the cylinder cooling fins clean, especially on cylinder #2 (the lower one) as I have seen these engines overheat the #2 cylinder and having the exhaust valve seat work loose. PITA to repair.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:40 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 116 doesn't require removal, but it isn't really that hard to get off. Essentially, you remove the spring on the right side, and then the belt from the motor to the deck has to come off, thne you can get the deck belt off, it also has it's own spring. Pay attention to the bearing in the main drive pulley, they seem to like to fail.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
cjben
Lead Driver

actually somebody swapped engines from stock. The mower now has a 18.5 twin cylinder B+S engine. I will look more into the belt replacement this weekend.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
I was referring to the bearing in the double pulley on the deck... Had one a long time in the past that was a twin Briggs, then the one my dad has now is a single cylinder Kohler.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:09 PM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not just take the old belt to the automotive store and have them put it on the belt tool and get a replacement?

Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 PM
ford2go
Cargo Master
Received 142 Likes on 87 Posts
Hi,
I'd say that the best bet for a replacement would be a JD dealer -- although places like home depot carry some of the more popular ones. You'll want one designed for that kind of service.

You might want to check out mytractorforum.com -- it's pretty much the fte of tractors -- and they cover pretty much every size. I'm sure that they have a section for small John Deeres.

Whoa, I just did a search and I found this site
John Deere 116 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com

Opens right up to a diagrams section that has drawings for every part of the tractor and the various decks. there's some little pics on top and you just find the one you want and click on it -- impressive.

Good Luck,

hj

Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 AM
cjben
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by fellro86
I was referring to the bearing in the double pulley on the deck... Had one a long time in the past that was a twin Briggs, then the one my dad has now is a single cylinder Kohler.
I know which bearing you were referring to,thanks. I was just stating the engine is no longer original.

Originally Posted by wizzard351
why not just take the old belt to the automotive store and have them put it on the belt tool and get a replacement?
because the old belt is not there.

Originally Posted by ford2go
Hi,
I'd say that the best bet for a replacement would be a JD dealer -- although places like home depot carry some of the more popular ones. You'll want one designed for that kind of service.

You might want to check out mytractorforum.com -- it's pretty much the fte of tractors -- and they cover pretty much every size. I'm sure that they have a section for small John Deeres.

Whoa, I just did a search and I found this site
John Deere 116 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com

Opens right up to a diagrams section that has drawings for every part of the tractor and the various decks. there's some little pics on top and you just find the one you want and click on it -- impressive.

Good Luck,

hj
thanks for the link,I will check it out later.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
To determine which belt/deck size you have, measure ONE blade, from tip-to-tip.
Double (or triple, depending on how many blades are under the deck!) that length to determine deck size.