6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

MBRP or FLO Pro 5" Exhaust

Old 04-06-2013, 11:56 PM
trunkmonkey203
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP or FLO Pro 5" Exhaust

Hi all I just purchased a mini maxx race tuner and now I need exhaust I think I may have narrowed it down to these two brands and I am going to stick with the 5" size. I know there are lots of threads out there but most of them are bouncing around and not really staying on topic. so that is why I started this one to see what people are using and recommend. I have a 09 f350. with the exhaust do you need a muffler, how loud is it in the cab and when towing?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-07-2013, 09:34 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey203
Hi all I just purchased a mini maxx race tuner and now I need exhaust I think I may have narrowed it down to these two brands and I am going to stick with the 5" size. I know there are lots of threads out there but most of them are bouncing around and not really staying on topic. so that is why I started this one to see what people are using and recommend. I have a 09 f350. with the exhaust do you need a muffler, how loud is it in the cab and when towing?

Thanks in advance
It's your money so I won't tell you that the 5 inch exhaust is wasted money. If you just do the delete pipe and tuner the truck can be returned to stock easily if you ever want to trade or sell it, or if your state starts testing emissions. Once you remove the stock down pipe it is history. It has to be cut to get it out. Besides, once you get the tuner on and the DPF off the truck has more power than a sane person would ever need. But, like I said your money and your truck.

As to sound, no noise in the cab. The stock muffler is just an open can as far as I can tell. The exhaust sounds kind of like a jet engine, a lot of air being pushed. If you find a muffler that works well let us know. I've not heard anyone say they found a good solution yet. Hope ths helps.

Old 04-07-2013, 10:46 PM
trunkmonkey203
New User
Thanks StanleyZ for the information what are your thoughts on doing a filter back system at five inch and then add a delete pipe in there so if need be to switch it back and forth for testing? just wondering

Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
I like the angle of the Flo Pro as it exits the vehicle. The old way of thinking (may still be) was that a 5" was a waste until 500hp+. Well these trucks can easily achieve that. They also sound better than a 4" in my opinion.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Thanks StanleyZ for the information what are your thoughts on doing a filter back system at five inch and then add a delete pipe in there so if need be to switch it back and forth for testing? just wondering
You have a matching up problem to overcome I think. The delete is 4 inch and just ends where it mates with the tail pipe which has the muffler welded in I think. So, the 5 inch will have to mate to the 4 inch with some sort of step up or step down. it would leave the down pipe in tact if you needed to return to stock that's a plus. I don't think it does anything for performance but would probably look good.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:02 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not 100% sure, but emission testing or inspection might include a picture of the factory exhaust, so any modifications whatsoever might be an issue if you have to do inspections.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by parkland
Not 100% sure, but emission testing or inspection might include a picture of the factory exhaust, so any modifications whatsoever might be an issue if you have to do inspections.
Oh yes, that is for sure. They claim even the factory tail pipe with the ugly little holes is part of the emissions system and may not be tampered with under penalty of I guess life in prison. Ya, gotta love this government. And, to top that I've been reading that there is some science being developed now that supports the green house gasses as contributing to improving global temperture. Wouldn't that knock your hat in the creek if they've had it backwards the whole time. Heck, they would want to pay us to delete the DPF and make some gasses.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:44 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Oh yes, that is for sure. They claim even the factory tail pipe with the ugly little holes is part of the emissions system and may not be tampered with under penalty of I guess life in prison. Ya, gotta love this government. And, to top that I've been reading that there is some science being developed now that supports the green house gasses as contributing to improving global temperture. Wouldn't that knock your hat in the creek if they've had it backwards the whole time. Heck, they would want to pay us to delete the DPF and make some gasses.
When fossil fuels became popular, we cut down all our trees, because wood wouldn't be needed for heat. We cleared them out, and continue to do so, to sell for profit, and to make room for farming, and to build new housing etc.
I think that as time goes on, hopefully some of the silly environmental laws start to diminish, and reality starts to set in.

For EG, even "garden" roof tops, allow a house roof to be made using cheap plastic, (cause no UV rays, soil & plants) and keep the house cool, while also allowing nature to live along with a home.

There are many solutions to pollution problems that make a lot more sense than DPF and EGR systems.
Simply building better vehicles that last longer, would make a HUGE difference, but it doesn't seem like that is on the menu, making money is a lot more important.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
trunkmonkey,
I just finished cleaning up my exhaust--4" MBRP all the way with Flo-Pro muffler. I don't think 5" is needed unless you want to run really hot tunes. I ran the Mini w/DPF delete, but kept the DOC on until recently. Seems much better with the DOC out of the system. Don't forget to save all the parts in case you want to put it all back to sell it sometime.
Joe

Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 AM
trunkmonkey203
New User
Thanks mud doc with 4" and the muffler do you get that pissed off hair dryer noise from the turbos?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:03 AM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
NO. Only a slightly louder rumble when driving. Can't really tell any difference at idle. No whistle, no drone. But, I haven't towed my fiver yet to see how that sounds.
I have heard a lot of straight-piped trucks, and I knew I did not want that sound.
Completely happy so far.
I also opted for the lower-cost of aluminized over stainless.
The OEM stuff was really heavy, and after having the DPF done, both factory brackets had to be re-welded twice--I was tired of that and cost of new rear section was almost as much as the entire exhaust job.
Joe

Old 04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
stevensm
5th Wheeling
Im running Spartan with 4inch Flo Pro down pipe back with muffler. Im very happy with the performance and very little sound overall. i cut the 3.5 inch pipe between dpf and muffler. The doc/dpf came right out as well as muffler tail pipe. If I ever need to put it back to stock then all that is needed piece of 3.5in pipe 21 inches long.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:09 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Mud Doc
trunkmonkey,
I just finished cleaning up my exhaust--4" MBRP all the way with Flo-Pro muffler. I don't think 5" is needed unless you want to run really hot tunes. I ran the Mini w/DPF delete, but kept the DOC on until recently. Seems much better with the DOC out of the system. Don't forget to save all the parts in case you want to put it all back to sell it sometime.
Joe
OK, so you ran an MBRP from the down pipe back, including muffler, but kept the stock down pipe on the truck, is that right? Does it bolt to the down pipe? And the sound is good, meaning it sounds like a truck and not a jet airplane, right? Thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
finaddict
Freshman User
I really think you can't go wrong with just a 4" pipe replacing the DOC/DPF and going back into the stock muffler. You can very quickly go back to stock, you retain the original stock exhaust pipe and look so as to not draw any attention to yourself, the sound is only slightly mo rethan stock, with a mini maxx you have more power than you can ever possibly need and the cost is the lowest possible way to get that power. Anything more is probably just for the Testosterone factor. ;-)

Old 04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Stanley,
Yes, kept the stock downpipe, but got rid of everything else downstream. The MBRP was the exhaust piping only and the muffler was from Flo-Pro. There is nothing left from OEM except the downpipe. I told them I did not want a loud exhaust, nor the turbo whistle, but did not stipulate what muffler--Flo-Pro is what I got. I wasn't unhappy with just the DPF delete, but the OEM brackets were failing. I think that was because I originally had the B&W gooseneck hitch installed and the exhaust had to hang lower to miss the heat deflector around the spare. For some reason, this put too much stress on the rear hanger and it broke. Was fixed 3 times, each by a muffler shop, but broke a 4th time--this time it took out the front hanger also. At that point, I was facing getting a complete OEM exhaust from the DPF-delete pipe rearward, and Ford cost was around $700 because the hangers are part of the piping. So, decided to chunk the OEM stuff and get new piping all the way back. Cost was $652 including some custom work because the 450 axle is larger than the 350s, and some extra bending/cutting was needed.
At any rate, I feel real good about it now--solid and quiet, and still no regens. I guess the old exhaust was moving around a lot and hitting something, cause the entire ride now is quieter, possibly had some leakage from the movement at the downpipe.
Joe