General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Such a cool little toy for what it costs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:37 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by william_04_x
I ordered the MK808B(Bluetooth enabled), and a Logitech K400. I have a couple of pretty decent 1080P TV's to try them on, and a nice smartphone and tablet to compare them to.

I'll definitely post back after I put them through their paces. The reviews, and your recommendation, are all excellent.
Perfect, hopefully this is a success story !! lol

Old 04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
I had sprung for two day shipping and a package arrived today. I'm an Android geek and couldn't wait too long. Success is an understatement!

Within 5 minutes I had the battery tabs removed from the the keyboard, keyboard receiver in Mini TV , power on, plugged into TV HDMI input, and connected to my home WiFi. Wireless keyboard was instantly recognized.

Had to check the internet connection.. No problem there.

Had to see which version of Android it's running. Jelly Bean. Very nice.

Had to see what kind of apps were pre-loaded. Hey, there's some good stuff on here already.

Lemme see what YouTube looks like. Perfect.

Find an HD movie trailer and see what I get. Perfect picture, and not even a hint of lag. The A9 is doin it's job well. Clean streaming.

Push the home button on the keyboard. Set a live wallpaper. Still silky smooth.

Had to check the Bluetooth functionality. Paired it with my phone, and transferred all the screenshots above. Resolution on the TV, and BT transfers are crystal clear. The screenshot images look a little fuzzy because Photobucket is bringing them down.

Like parkland said, for less than $100 you can have a really powerful little Android computer connected to your TV. Every TV in my house is getting this same equipment. Thanks for the heads up, parkland!
I'll post anything else I discover.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

I'll run Quadrant Standard tonight to see how this thing really stacks up to other devices. From what I see, it's going to show really good numbers.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:35 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Also FWIW, Before I enter any personal or account information, I looked at every preloaded app on the device for security. Android and Linux are pretty secure by their very nature, but if malicious permissions are already granted to preloaded apps, info may be shared that I'm not cool with. With Android versions 3.x.Honeycomb), 4.0.Ice Cream Sandwich), and 4.1.x (Jelly Bean) have the ability to disable apps, if they can't be deleted entirely. This stops them from ever running, and they don't show up in your app drawer. Settings>Apps>click an App> and select Disable. These are the only one's I shut off, and that's because everything in the App is written in Chinese. LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Wow, that was fast LOL!!!
Yeah thats amazing what 50$ of technology can do haha.

Glad it worked good for ya !!!
Same here, I'm putting these things everywhere lol.
I've never seen another computer product with such a bang:buck ratio!!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by parkland
Wow, that was fast LOL!!!
Yeah thats amazing what 50$ of technology can do haha.

Glad it worked good for ya !!!
Same here, I'm putting these things everywhere lol.
I've never seen another computer product with such a bang:buck ratio!!
I don't think there can ever be another computer product with a better bang to buck ratio. LOL

I've got this on my home network now so I can pull media( movies/music/PDFs) right from my desktop PC. It connects to my wireless printer too. I'm trying to find something it can't do. So far, I can't. LOL Awesome find, parkland!

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I ordered our kids webcams from the same site, 7.80$ each, lol, and you can skype and stuff.
If you bought skype minutes, I guess you could use your TV as a phone haha.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
I was thinking of getting this USB GPS unit, and a 19" monitor, and another android unit, and trying to make a 19" GPS for a boat i'm trying to make.

Buy G.Mouse Mini USB SiRF Star-III 20-Channel GPS Receiver for PC and Laptops

Theres places I found nautical maps, and I think you get get open source GPS software, so I think it should work.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So if I'm understanding this right....I can put a TV in my shop, plug one of these do-hickies into it and have internet on my TV in the shop?

I have WI-FI in the house, and my droid phone would pick it up out in the shop.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-11-2013, 07:27 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
And you could pair it to your phone's Bluetooth?

"Dongles" have come a LONG way!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
So if I'm understanding this right....I can put a TV in my shop, plug one of these do-hickies into it and have internet on my TV in the shop?

I have WI-FI in the house, and my droid phone would pick it up out in the shop.

Diesel Rod
These devices are basically little computers. If you have a TV in your shop, internet there, and one of these devices, you'll have an android computer in your shop.

You'll also want a keyboard and mouse though.

And I'm not sure how good the wireless is on them, is it considered better or worse than a phone? I don't know.

I have an old computer in my garage, running linux, and I use it all the time in the garage to use internet, and listening to music.

Old 11-07-2013, 05:24 PM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the hardest part is choosing one. I wonder how well these would work with a touch screen? I have a 10" touchscreen monitor that's just begging to pair with one of these for kid entertainment in the car. The touch screen has it's own USB plug but the only drivers I've used were for Windows.

Or I have a couple nice 19" widescreen Samsungs from when upgraded my desktop to 24s. Now we're talking. Just need to get a mouse/keyboard controller in that case.

I like that they have basic Android on them, I've grown fond of the stripped down feel on my Nexus.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by damarble
Looks like the hardest part is choosing one. I wonder how well these would work with a touch screen? I have a 10" touchscreen monitor that's just begging to pair with one of these for kid entertainment in the car. The touch screen has it's own USB plug but the only drivers I've used were for Windows.

Or I have a couple nice 19" widescreen Samsungs from when upgraded my desktop to 24s. Now we're talking. Just need to get a mouse/keyboard controller in that case.

I like that they have basic Android on them, I've grown fond of the stripped down feel on my Nexus.
I don't know about the touchscreen, but it wouldn't suprise me at all if you plugged it in and it worked, I've had excellent luck with these thing working with everything!
The same place has plenty of cheap wired / wireless keyboards and mice.
I'm pretty sure any USB mouse or keyboard will work.
I bought 2 of them, and 2 usb mini keyboard touchpad mini combos, and everything is still working strong. My daughters keyboard it a little sticky inside, but thats cause shes 4 and it's full of juice lol.

These have been way way better than dvd players and even those "media players" from WD and seagate, and cheaper to boot.
I ran network cables to the kids room, so they can watch any of the movies I have downloaded on my main computer, and they like netflix too.

For anyone who has a windows computer, and your kids are downloading all kinds of stuff and getting viruses, this could also be the answer. I installed a bittorrent program on one of the android boxes, and it downloaded several things just fine. Buy them one of these, and let them wreck it instead of a 1000$ computer.

We use linux on all our computers, so I don't worry about viruses and malware, but I realise not everyone is ready to jump into that

Old 11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering getting one to take over video duties from the Wii in the living room as well. We use it for Netflix but it struggles with HD video.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by damarble
I'm considering getting one to take over video duties from the Wii in the living room as well. We use it for Netflix but it struggles with HD video.
Are you sure it's not your internet connection?
We only have 1.5 mbps internet here, so HD is sketchy.

Quick Reply: Such a cool little toy for what it costs...