Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recently Purchased 1987

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:26 AM
Trombogon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently Purchased 1987

First, I`m new and I'd like to introduce myself, Im from KCMO, Im 18 and Ive got a 1987 F150 Lariat that Ive got a ton of questions about. Its got a 302 V8, an automatic trans that I assume is a C6, long bed red and white two tone 2WD. It has 160k miles, no power bells and whistles and is completely stock aside from the tires. It has little rust aside from the hood and rear passenger wheel well. So my questions are: When can I expect transmision issues? If I get proper tires is it offroad capable? Should I buy a new hood or paint the current one? What usual maintainance do you recommend? I appreciate any and all responses thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
If it really is a C6 tranny (do a search on this forum, I'm sure there is a thread about figuring out what tranny you have) don't expect too many problems. But if you aren't doing proper maintenance like fluid flushes and the like, you might want to think about doing it. Tranny issues is a Dodge problem, not Ford.

What kind of offroad driving are you looking to do? Of course you can probably handle a little bit of offroad driving, but it's only 2wd. Do you know if you have a limited slip rear end? Meaning both tires spin and not just 1? If you don't have that, it may be something to look into. But good tires can certainly help. Cooper Discoverer STT is a good offroad tire with good street manners.

I'd paint the stock hood. You'll be hard pressed to find an aftermarket hood for the bricknose that isn't flimsy. But it's nearly impossible to find something like a cowl hood for it so like I said, keep your original one.

Typical maintenance is about the same with these as any vehicle.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
If it really is a C6 tranny (do a search on this forum, I'm sure there is a thread about figuring out what tranny you have) don't expect too many problems. But if you aren't doing proper maintenance like fluid flushes and the like, you might want to think about doing it. Tranny issues is a Dodge problem, not Ford.

What kind of offroad driving are you looking to do? Of course you can probably handle a little bit of offroad driving, but it's only 2wd. Do you know if you have a limited slip rear end? Meaning both tires spin and not just 1? If you don't have that, it may be something to look into. But good tires can certainly help. Cooper Discoverer STT is a good offroad tire with good street manners.

I'd paint the stock hood. You'll be hard pressed to find an aftermarket hood for the bricknose that isn't flimsy. But it's nearly impossible to find something like a cowl hood for it so like I said, keep your original one.

Typical maintenance is about the same with these as any vehicle.
As far as off-roading, I'm talking light mudding and stuff like that. Not sure about the limited slip thing or if it truly is a C6, I'll check on that later. Also I should've clarified to "different hood" rather than "new hood" I meant more like getting one from a junk yard or used parts place or something like that. I don't have a '84 camaro that's three different colors and only fires on four cylinders that I always seem to see cowl hoods on.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you get all excited, Do the normal maintenance things. Oil/Filter, Lube, Check gear box, & all fluid levels. Does the tranny fluid smell burnt? Is it bright red or brown to black?
As for off roading its a two wheel drive. That said a good driver can go a lot farther in a 2wd that a poor driver can go in a 4x4. So how are your driving skills? Never go alone. Go with others that have 4x4s so if you get stuck they can help you get out. The only way to know for sure your driving skills & the trucks ability is to go out & do it. When you get stuck then you'll know.
Until you get all the maintenance done then worry about the hood. I would just repaint the hood you got, if it works OK.
But the main thing is to drive & enjoy it.
When I was 18 years old back in the caveman days we just drove them & fixed them when they quit. I have nightmares when I think back to the old junk vehicles we drove on bald tires pouring drain oil in the engine every 50 miles, & going like we had good sense. Travel hundreds of miles because I lived in the middle of nowhere in the high deserts of Nevada.
Craig

Old 04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does the truck have an overdrive off button on the end of the shift lever, if it does it has an e40d, if the shift pattern is drive 2 1 and no button on the end its a c6, there is also an AOD, check the sticker on the side of the drivers pillar when you open the door and it will tell a ton of stuff about it. on the axle code if it has a letter in front of a number then its limited slip

Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
As far as my driving skills, I haven't rolled it off a cliff or plowed into a minivan, but I'm young. The brutal winter gave me some experience and northern Missouri isn't particularly "rough terrain" anyhow. About maintainance, I've replaced the plugs, serpentine belt, wiring, battery, fuel system, oil, trans fluid, etc etc. about the trans it has P R N OD D 1 without any button on the lever. I didn't think they made the E4OD until like 92

Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
then i believe you would have the AOD being the c6 has no overdrive gear though i thought the AOD was a 4 speed and reads P R N OD D 2 1 and just doesnt have a button. you would have to ask someone with more experience with and AOD though just to be sure

Old 04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
Well the AOD was 4 speed and only put in f-series for 7th gen. So I'm operating under the philosophy of wtf could it be but a C6?

Old 04-03-2013, 03:38 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What does your shift indicator read?

P R N OD D 1

Then likely it's an AOD.

If it's just P R N D 2 L
then it's a C6.

The 4rw and E4od both had P R N D 2 1 and OD was a button on the shifter handle.

The AOD loses 2nd gear on the shift lever. Makes a real PITA in winter time because you can't lock it into 2nd. Mine tends to search ALOT on slippery roads. Goes from lugging in D, to downshifting, then lug, then downshift. Really hate it.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:44 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
I'll check on the door jamb tonight and see what the stock trans is/was. In 1987 the only stock three speed they came with was the C6 and they didn't come with the AOD at all, so I can't imagine someone swapping out a C6 for an AOD. I try to count the gears when I'm driving and I'm pretty sure it's a 3+OD

Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not too hard to figure out. A C-6 is a 3 speed, the other is a 3 SP+OD. I believe the C-6 ended in 86 in the F150.
As for your driving skills then if you haven't rolled off a cliff or slammed into a minivan then the jury is still out. LOL
Craig

Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
I'm just gonna guess you guys are right about it being an AOD. I've looked everywhere and can't figure out how to tell what type of trans it is, without getting under the truck(and I don't care that much). Anyway, if it is an AOD, should I expect problems with it?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:52 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
well what does the sticker say, it should have a letter and if not use the shift patterns above that were listed for you so we know for sure what trans you have so we can give you the correct info

Old 04-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Trombogon
Senior User
On the door jamb, under transmission it has a T

Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM
blue924.9
Posting Guru
then the AOD is what you have its a decent trans

Quick Reply: Recently Purchased 1987