1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

McLaughlin Ford Sumter SC Worst Dealership EVER!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:18 PM
mclarengts
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
McLaughlin Ford Sumter SC Worst Dealership EVER!!!!!!

So my steering gear snaps and my truck is stuck. So I get my truck towed to McLaughlin Ford in Sumter SC. While its there I tell them to check out my vibration I'm getting so they quote me like $2000 and say I need a steering gear (obviously), a ICP Sensor, and a Fuel Pump. Well after research I order the Red Head Steering Gear and tell them that's all I want fixed. (I can do the rest myself). So today I go to check on the truck and they tell me it's going to be $406. So I'm like why? You said the labor for the Steering gear was $265 labor.. And the diagnostic is $85. That's $350... Then he said and $41 to PULL THE TRUCK INTO THE SHOP!! REALLY YOU GOTTA BE Sh#**^% Me! So since my truck had no steering they charged me $41. To me that's a part of FIXING THE TRUCK! Its not about the money its the principle. If they doing this what else are they doing? who else are they taking advantage of?? Needless to say Ill never spend another penny at McLaughin Ford in Sumter SC!! If my truck breaks Ill tow in to Columbia SC 50miles away!

Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 PM
caedo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least they only did what you told them to and didn't do all sorts of other junk that they just took the liberty to do without telling you.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:06 AM
mclarengts
Senior User
yea i really would have flipped out

Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM
KH85
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is one of many reasons why I have never taken my truck to a dealer (aside from recalls). While this is absolutely ridiculous it could be much worse, but either way the way dealerships seem to treat people drivers me nuts!! And to add the fact that it seems like most of the techs at these dealerships know next to nothing about our trucks!! I am 100% confident I can fix almost anything on my truck by myself with the help of my FTE brothers!!

I should add that I have saved literally thousands of dollars doing all my work myself with the assistance of FTE!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Seems reasonable to me ...

Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by nlemerise
Me too, but I didn't want to be the first to say it.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
mclarengts
Senior User
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Originally Posted by Robert6401
Me too, but I didn't want to be the first to say it.
I respect your opinion.. I just don't agree.. But no BS I really do respect your opinions, I know I'm not always right..

Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
While thr price to replace the gear is about right, $41 to pull the truck in the shop? Sorry but thats just funny!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:14 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
While thr price to replace the gear is about right, $41 to pull the truck in the shop? Sorry but thats just funny!
A shop I use to work at told people," to put it on the rack and inspect is free . It costs $25 to get it down !" At least we told them up front !

Old 04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mclarengts
I respect your opinion.. I just don't agree.. But no BS I really do respect your opinions, I know I'm not always right..
I was referring to your original thread about this truck where I said: "Get it out of the dealership". You were warned and you rolled snake eyes in having a dealership do the work. You are lucky that is all they did to you....seriously.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
mclarengts
Senior User
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Since it had no steering they had to tow it in.. =$41... I still don't agree... Crazy... After I get over being mad, then it's funny

Old 04-03-2013, 08:28 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
I really doubt they towed it in. I imagine one guy drove and one guy kicked the front tires in the right direction.

I say this because I have had to do it with cars many times here.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was really expecting a much better/worse story than this. So this dealership installed a part that you brought them? Did they warranty the work? If yes to both, consider yourself very lucky on both counts, and who knows, I actually may use them in the future. And $41 to get your non-steerable truck in the garage? I dont know where they came up with that number, but it could have been for shop supplies and they just told you it was to get it in the garage to **** you off. "Worst dealership ever" come on, man. Im by no means a big advocate of dealerships, but.....

Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM
MTalley
More Turbo

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Tow charge in our parts is higher than $41 to put a 4 ton vehicle up on a sizeable rollback and haul it somewhere to get it fixed.

An $85 diagnostic fee is about what I would expect when bringing a vehicle into most any place (especially a dealer) and telling them to find out what is wrong with my vehicle.

I agree with a couple others that none of it sounds unreasonable given the circumstances.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM
mclarengts
Senior User
Originally Posted by Studawg
I was really expecting a much better/worse story than this. So this dealership installed a part that you brought them? Did they warranty the work? If yes to both, consider yourself very lucky on both counts, and who knows, I actually may use them in the future. And $41 to get your non-steerable truck in the garage? I dont know where they came up with that number, but it could have been for shop supplies and they just told you it was to get it in the garage to **** you off. "Worst dealership ever" come on, man. Im by no means a big advocate of dealerships, but.....
Over all you might be right, but after the $41 there was also $15 for shop supplies..

Quick Reply: McLaughlin Ford Sumter SC Worst Dealership EVER!!!!!!