'75 Econoline Oil Pan Removal Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 PM
rmh8400
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'75 Econoline Oil Pan Removal Help

I am working on this Econoline Van, and managed to get the oil pan completely loose, the oil pump removed, and dropped into the pan. Trouble now is even after removing the engine mount bolts and jacking up the engine until it hits the firewall (or something?)...I can not get the pan out. It seems like I need to lift the engine just a bit more. It appears the Air Conditioning compressor could be the problem, and in fact since it is froze up already when I purchased the van I am going to try that.
Is there anything I need to know before taking the compressor out? I am pretty sure it is empty of oil/gas. But just in case, is there a trick?
And maybe I am on the wrong path completely, and anyone have an idea how to remove this darn oil pan? I am now sixty miles from town and fully committed to this or I'll be walking. Thanks to all.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmm...i don't see what size engine you have, but in most vehicles you don't necessarily need to undo the lines....just unbolt from block and set aside. Most vans I've done to be honest, I have had to take out the motor to gain access to pan. The problem is the I-beam suspension and the oil pickup tube don't allow the room for removal....any pics available?

Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 AM
rmh8400
New User
Thank you for the reply. I have the 351 Windsor engine. Has also an air conditioner compressor out front on top. It almost appears as if the compressor is now hitting preventing my getting a couple more inches upward movement. I did manage to remove the oil pump and oil pickup tube, which are now bumping around the pan while I play with it. I had actually thought about breaking my new MIG welder in on the project, by cutting the pan in two and welding it back in place. That is how desperate I am here. I can not possibly pull the engine at this point and it would probably be the death of the van. So how hard is it to replace the head gaskets in a 3.8 liter V-6 Ford Windstar? If I can't get this Econoline going without pulling the engine, that is my next hope for now, since I have the gasket set already. Thanks again. I can post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
Are you doing this outside or in a shop/garage? How are you lifting the engine presently, to be able to drop the pan as far as you do now? No way you can fit an engine hoist in hood area....

Old 04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
rmh8400
New User
I am doing this outside, freezing night time temps still, South Dakota. Dirt & mud if it gets warm enough to thaw the dirt. If I am successful, I will be moving immediately, using the van. the goal is to replace the connecting rod bearings only to get a few months more at most. With tilting the pan, as is now, it almost looks like I could get in there sort of. There is only one connecting rod needed. any way I can check which one without removing them all one by one?
I am lifting the engine now, after removing mount bolts using a floor jack with block of wood on front pully.
How difficult is a head gasket replace on '99 Windstar 3.8L? Maybe I should go for that one instead, except I didn't buy the new head bolts yet.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:37 PM
Cubawashere
Elder User
a big job on that 3.8, especially outside.... i'm sure you will encounter more bad parts as you open it up... and both vehicles have issues with accessibility.

I think you may get through this van faster... take a look at the e350 I replaced the motor in my photo album in my profile to give you few ideas to give you more clearance underneath...

Do you have an access door on inside of van? doghouse is what i know it as....are you sure top of trans isn't hitting anything? exhaust unbolted too? I'm just trying to come up with ways to give you that clearance considering I can't see what you're working with.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM
rmh8400
New User
Is Sealant needed to install oil pump? 351 V-8 Windsor

I managed to get the oil pan out, replaced the connecting rod bearings, and now am not sure if I need to put a sealant to connect the oil pump to the block. I had removed it sort of blindly with the pan in place and dropped down a couple inches. It appears there was no sealant or gasket and I am just trying to make sure.

Next project: Head gasket in Windstar 3.8L V-6...outside, freezing temps at night, windy. Anybody have an idea or tricks to watch out for? My water pump froze overnight one time, went to low coolant and over-heated. then a few months later the bearings in the pump went out completely and went into overheat again. A few months later, the head gasket completely blew out and can't even run. I only purchased the head gasket set with new head bolts. Am I missing any parts? I have to buy everything on Ebay, since here in South Dakota there are not many people, let alone many parts handy.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
no... no sealant is needed on that pick up tube, but there is a gasket so you don't have that "broken straw" effect....needs to be sealed so it can suck up the oil. I'm pretty sure there's a gasket for the pump too.

On the 3.8, I strongly suggest "head gasket set"... it includes most of your seals and gaskets, including upper and lower intake gaskets..*edit.(i just read you did, sorry)...but you may still need injector o-rings for when you pull off rail which aren't included.... There's also a pretty good amateur youtube video I saw which gives even more insight...I post that link in a few minutes for ya.

question: how did the head gasket blow? As in did the coolant mix in the crankcase (mix with the oil)? or just blow out externally? or did oil go in the coolant?

If the gasket blew making coolant leak into the engine oil, and you didn't drain the oil pan, the coolant in that mixture does a huge number on bottom end bearings..... in that particular case only would I suggest used motor instead. For one, it would be cheaper, and last longer.

If the gasket blew the other ways, then by all means, just replace gasket and check for warp before reassembly. I only mention all that info to give you heads up, and possibly give you other options -and not throw your money or time away.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Cubawashere
Elder User
I found that youtube video I had seen which was in depth, though the guy working isn't really a mechanic, and the motor is a 3.0 but there's not too much difference from the 3.8.... I'm sure it can provide some insight and useful info.

PS... Glad to hear you made progress on that van!! Way to GO!