Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Crappy stock rims

Old 04-01-2013, 04:17 AM
MKEBoost
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crappy stock rims

I have the stock XLT rims on my 2011 F150 EBoost. These are the type that have that cheap plastic chrome cover thing over the actual metal rims. I just can't keep (or sometimes get) these things clean. They easilly get stained with brake dust and other road crap! I really hate them. I've tried several wheel cleaners and poer washing them to no avail...the only way I can get them clean is a lot of elbow grease with a scratch free scrubby pad and some wheel cleaner...takes for ever!

Anyone else have this issue? Short of scrubbing the heck out of them, what have you been doing to clean them?

I would like to get some other "real" rims from Ford, simular to what is offered when you build your truck but can't seem to find where to purchase them?? Thoughts?

Old 04-01-2013, 05:19 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
I also have the standard XLT (non chrome package) wheels and I love them. They clean up easy as pie and look real nice after.

I use any and all of he store bought wheel cleaners. I wet t hem, spray them and let them sit for a few minutes then I take a hand held scrub brush and scrub the sidewall and wheel. I then take a terry towel and clean the smaller areas that the brush missed. Hose them off and they're just like new again.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:22 AM
OldMasterTech
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here. Spent Saturday mid-day doing a thorough hand wash and have nothing good to say about those wheel covers. Front ones look worse from brake dust.
Time to start planning on wheels & tires upgrade!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 AM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
MKE,

have you tried waxing your wheels?

This usually helps a TON when it comes time to clean them next time.

get them clean as you usually do, then put a good coat (or two) of wax on them. from there they should clean up pretty easily. then just keep the wax maintained. the "wax as you dry" type stuff works well to keep the wax in good shape, but for the first time i'd use a regular car wax.

The guys at work who have the chrome hubcaps such as yours just apply the "wax as you dry" every time they wash the truck and their wheels always look fantastic.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:56 AM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are getting the same way. I am thinking when these tires wear out doing what gDMJoe did and get me a set of Raptor wheels. That way I will have some crappy winter wheels and some sexy "other than winter" Raptor wheels. *disclaimer* This is my wish list, I will have to see what the CFO says when the time comes.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 AM
NotMyHusbandsF150
Senior User
With my 10, I never had any problems. I loved how easy they were to clean! My 13... The jury is still out.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Going_Going_Gone
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You could check on craigslist for takeoff Lariat 18" polished aluminum rims or maybe even go to 20" wheels.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2012 with chrome 18" wheels. I have never had a vehicle that makes such a mess with brake dust! And it's aggressive stuff, too. At least you only had to clean a chrome hub cap! I had to clean the entire wheel!

Everything was fine last summer. Easy cleaning with just a wipe down. Never noticed anything unusual. And then came winter.... that's when the bad stuff happened. I washed my truck a few times over winter and after a few months I noticed large areas of brown brake dust covering front wheels. It absolutely would not clean off with car soap and rag. I became extremely concerned it would pit the chrome. Last weekend I bought two products:

1. Eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner (hand pump spray bottle)
2. Super Clean cleaner degreaser

The Eagle 1 is more mild so I tried it first. Everything came off easy with a rag. That stuff is made from some nasty chemicals so wear large rubber gloves and large safety glasses. Don't let it touch your skin. The Super Clean was the backup plan. The clerk at the store said he worked for an auto detailer and they used Super Clean to get off the really bad stuff.

Good luck

Old 04-02-2013, 05:10 AM
MKEBoost
Senior User
I have tried waxing my rims and that has helped a bit. The winter is the real killer to the rims...between the brake dust, road salt and not being able to hand wash the truck really takes it's toll. New England winters are brutal. I did get the car wash again the other day and sprayed the heck out of them with Black Magic wheel cleaner and a scrub brush. Most of it came of...I can't wait for the warmer weather so I can really clean everything. I'm definately going to try the Eagle One products to see how they work...thanks for the tips.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:26 AM
meborder
i've always had great luck with Eagle One products.

Castrol Super Clean, Greased Lightning, and Purple Power are very good products as well. I would always cut them 4:1 if using them on anything i liked.

used full strength, i have removed soaked in oil from concrete and paint from painted garage floors.

simple green works good too. i cut that 4:1 as well. I clean the interior of my cars with 4:1 simple green; works great on greasy door handles.

:: off-topic :: if someone ever parks in your drive way and drips oil, the easiest way to get it out is to spray super clean on it right before a rain. hit it with a scrub brush if you have one and when the rain stops, the oil stain will be gone. good stuff.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
PrinceValium
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Meborder is correct...after cleaning off all that brake dust (which has a lot of metal particles in it) you need to protect the rim with a wax or paint sealant. Once you seal the rim it will be MUCH easier to clean it.

I do not work for this company nor do I profit from their product sales...I am just one of their customers that love their products.

Here is their new product...a wheel cleaner. I will let the video speak for itself. (The guy in the video is Adam the owner of the company) The video is a bit long and yes he is pushing some of his other products...but this guy has some excellent products. (which I use myself)

Now after cleaning the rim...you need to protect it. I can say I am not a fan of regular car waxes...they do not last or protect as long as good waxes or especially paint sealants.

Here is another product by Adams Polishes that will seal your rim and keep the brake dust from adhering to the rim.

If you prefer to use a wax...they have an excellent carnauba wax (which I use on my wife's G37) it is the best wax I have ever bought and protects excellent!

Here is the issue I have with the brilliant glaze they talk about. They say it enhances the shine to which I don't agree. The shine you get from your paint happens in the polishing stages of your paint correction. The sealants and waxes are just PROTECTION. The good thing about that glaze is that it does fill in minor scratches in your clear coat.

Anyway...hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 PM
meborder
another possible solution is to change your brake pads to ceramics.

Advance Auto has their Wearever Platinum pads which are usually a tick under the $50 mark.

i put a set of those on my explorer and i'd say they are the best set of pads i've ever used, bar none. even with the boat on, there was never any dust. brake action is very smooth and the harder you try to stop the better they work.

Wagner Thermo quiet pads would do you well to, but the Wearevers are cheaper and better IMO.

$50 makes the problem go away for many years, at least with regard to brake dust. road grime is as road grime does, but whatdayado?

just a thought.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Masterducker
New User
I had the same rims though less cleaning trouble. I looked on EBAY and purchased a complete set of Platinum wheels AND Perelli tires with 11/32nds tread shipped to my dealer for $1350.00 I saw several other sets on there also along with Harley wheels and other Ford"stock" choices.
Hope this helps, great place to shop if you have patience and take your time to price compare.