1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

External Transmission Filter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
External Transmission Filter question

Ok. I'm not adding this one to my build thread, as it's just a question, but I came across dieselsite.com, and they offer a bunch of cool aftermarket options at decent prices for the 94-97 7.3's.

And I found this. https://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsit...4-199773l.aspx

Will this:
1.) work on our trucks
2.) has anyone seen something like this before if so...
a.) how effective is it
b.) is it worth it
c.) does it really extend the life of your transmission?

There aren't a lot of modifications like this floating around, and they appear to make a lot of this stuff themselves, that is practical and not wallet busting. I haven't got to my transmission yet, but when I do, would this be something to look into? Or should I just contact them for more information regarding this?

Old 03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Bob typically doesn't sell junk stuff, and I'm sure it will fit if he says it will, but if it were me, I'd just throw a magnafine filter inline and call it good.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by F350-6
Bob typically doesn't sell junk stuff, and I'm sure it will fit if he says it will, but if it were me, I'd just throw a magnafine filter inline and call it good.
I bought the coolant bypass filter from them, I am quite impressed at it's build quality. I can't wait to get it on the truck. I was just curious as to whether anyone had seen or had one.

Do you have a link for a good site to get that particular filter from?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:07 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Chris, I heard that the magnafine filter can clog and then your screwed.

On my 96 I have dieselsite's trans filter, I think it does a good job but I never cut a filter open to check it out.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:35 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by oldbird1965

On my 96 I have dieselsite's trans filter, I think it does a good job but I never cut a filter open to check it out.
Well I guess the first question would be, did the 94-97 trany's have an internal transmission pump on the 5spd manual?

Did you notice any difference in the transmission after the install? How often do you replace the filter, and was the install fairly easy?(I'd be interested to see the inside of the filter after it's replaced)

For the price, I wouldn't mind getting that, I'm probably due for a transmission oil change, gasket and filter anyway, If it looks bad, I'll probably get it. Just one more thing to keep the truck parts running longer.

Either way, I keep finding myself drawn to that site. Pretty d@mn innovative if you ask me. lots of stuff you won't find anywhere else. Stickers are definitely going up on the back glass

Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I'm talking about a auto, are you? I couldn't tell any difference in the trans and the filter I got from dieselsite I got the optional gauge with it so I could tell when the filter needed changed. Its a easy install, disconnect the rear line and use the lines that come with it.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:34 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
I'm talking about a auto, are you? I couldn't tell any difference in the trans and the filter I got from dieselsite I got the optional gauge with it so I could tell when the filter needed changed. Its a easy install, disconnect the rear line and use the lines that come with it.
Gotta install radiator and a few other things tomorrow hopefully I don't need to hit up the toy store for new hoses, lots of rust in the system right now, hope I don't need a new water pump.. Still need pictures of that.. moving on to topic

Anyway, the manual transmission, the 94 7.3 PS was a manual transmission only. Guess I'll get under there tomorrow and find out. If I see lines coming out of the transmission to the radiator, I'll take a wild guess and say it was for a transmission cooler, and has an internal pump? That, or check my supplement manuals if all else fails, take a the serial off it, and throw into google.

According to the data plate on the door, Truck was manufactured in 8/94. If that helps.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ProjectDually
Well I guess the first question would be, did the 94-97 trany's have an internal transmission pump on the 5spd manual?
No. The ZF6 that went into the Super Duty trucks have an internal pump and an option for an external cooler and/or filter. It's an extreme rarity in manual transmissions. There's a reference to that in the dieselsite listing.

Tranny type would have been a good thing to mention on opening; there isn't even a mention of the tranny in your build thread.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:19 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by madpogue
No. The ZF6 that went into the Super Duty trucks have an internal pump and an option for an external cooler and/or filter. It's an extreme rarity in manual transmissions. There's a reference to that in the dieselsite listing.

Tranny type would have been a good thing to mention on opening; there isn't even a mention of the tranny in your build thread.
Good call, I don't honestly know if it was an OEM tranny nor not. When I bought it, the guy said he replaced the clutch and tranny, and they had about 10k on them.. I have no idea where on it to find out..

Uploading a picture to my build thread, I have what looks like a broken transmission oil pan..

Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
The primary filter is still there doing it's job. My thoughts would be if the magnafine clogs, you've either not changed it in several hundred thousand miles, or you're already screwed anyway because something's coming apart in there.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:05 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by F350-6
The primary filter is still there doing it's job. My thoughts would be if the magnafine clogs, you've either not changed it in several hundred thousand miles, or you're already screwed anyway because something's coming apart in there.
Makes sense Chris, I just read that once. Do you know if it restricts flow at all?

Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 AM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
If the transmission did have an internal pump, where would the lines come out? or is there a plug where the external filter could be mounted?

I'm due for a change of filter and pan anyway, I just can't for the life of me, find the transmission oil dipstick or where to fill it.. And I was all under the truck today, guess the appearance of the broken flywheel inspection dust cover threw me off my primary goal.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 AM
koski19
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok. I'm not adding this one to my build thread, as it's just a question, but I came across dieselsite.com, and they offer a bunch of cool aftermarket options at decent prices for the 94-97 7.3's.

And I found this. https://www.dieselsite.com/dieselsit...4-199773l.aspx

Will this:
1.) work on our trucks
2.) has anyone seen something like this before if so...
a.) how effective is it
b.) is it worth it
c.) does it really extend the life of your transmission?

There aren't a lot of modifications like this floating around, and they appear to make a lot of this stuff themselves, that is practical and not wallet busting. I haven't got to my transmission yet, but when I do, would this be something to look into? Or should I just contact them for more information regarding this?
I'd run the Magnafine filter abt $15.00 and good for about 15,000 miles. I run the magnafine on my E99. I now have 265,000 miles on the transmission and receive excellent oil reports back from Blackstone. I do use the truck to haul a cabover camper and pull a gooseneck horse trailer. So far, no transmission repairs...Just fluid and filters.

Jeff

Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM
ProjectDually
Postmaster
Originally Posted by koski19
I'd run the Magnafine filter abt $15.00 and good for about 15,000 miles. I run the magnafine on my E99. I now have 265,000 miles on the transmission and receive excellent oil reports back from Blackstone. I do use the truck to haul a cabover camper and pull a gooseneck horse trailer. So far, no transmission repairs...Just fluid and filters.

Jeff
I got to go back to autozone to pick up my thermostat today, so I'll ask about the filter. The guy I bought it from said transmission and clutch had 10k on them when I bought it, so It's probably due for a new filter, and fluid. A quick glance at the filter, is it mostly for the Automatic trany?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:32 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If the transmission did have an internal pump, where would the lines come out? or is there a plug where the external filter could be mounted?

I'm due for a change of filter and pan anyway, I just can't for the life of me, find the transmission oil dipstick or where to fill it.. And I was all under the truck today, guess the appearance of the broken flywheel inspection dust cover threw me off my primary goal.
Manual transmissions don't have a pan or internal filter. Most don't have a dipstick. On the ZF5, the drain is on the bottom, and there's a fill plug partway up the left side.

Quick Reply: External Transmission Filter question