Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda sorta build thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kinda sorta build thread

I've posted a few pictures of my Bronco and some details but I figured I would do a build thread since I'm going to be doing some more things to it and wanted to share with everyone.

I'll start off when I got it and work my way to where she is now, and then I'll update as I upgrade and probably add random wheeling pictures.

I was 16 years old when I got it and had a love for Bronco's because my dad had one. 1992 5.0 E4OD and it was entirely stock. Had 153,xxx miles on it. Didn't run. Got it for $500. Turned out the computer was bad and put one in that we had around the shop and drove it that night.
Here's what it looked like the day I got it

Shortly after we got it licensed and insured, I got new wheels and tires. That's when the fun started. Found a sweet muddy field back behind the local college and tore it up for weeks. They eventually fenced it off. Thinking back now, I feel bad for tearing up their property, but when you're 16 and have a hard on for 4x4's, no *****s are given.
In the pic it had 31x10.5x15's on it and they did their job.

Drove it like that for a while, and the poor old motor was real tired. So we ended up with a rolled over '99 Mercuray Mountaneer for free. Took the engine out and put in my Bronco. That GT40P motor would roast those 31's no problem. I lined up with dad's '97 F150 that had a VERY strong 2v 5.4, we had same gearing and tire size so it was all down to weight and power. He barely beat me.
Dad also has a Bronco with a 3 inch body lift and 3 inch suspension. I wanted to be just like him and have a LIFTED Bronco, so I ended up ordering a Pro Comp 6 inch suspension lift with extended radius arms. Dad retired his Bronco from DD service (due to getting the 97), he graciously gave me his 35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's so I could put on my Bronco. I put them on before I even got the lift. Had to cut the front bumper really bad so I could turn.

After a terrible 6 month wait, the lift finally came in. That weekend me and dad put it on. Spent probably 4 hours on that Saturday and Sunday (each) and had it installed. Install wasn't really too bad since dad knew what he was doing, but I was totally lost at the time. Hadn't had much real hands on experience with mechanics even though I had been around dad's shop for a long time. So you can sort of say I started my mechanic career on my Bronco

And that's basically what she looks like today (3 years later) except I've added a visor onto it. I sure do love those things on Ford trucks.
Anyways, at about 160,000 the trans was toast. So I pulled it out on the shop floor which sucked. I'm used to having vehicles up on one of the racks but luckily the Bronco sits up high enough I didn't have to set it on jack stands lol.
Every single clutch was burnt in the trans. So dad rebuilt it along with the valve body, and since I had no signs of converter clutch slippage, I went ahead and reused my converter to save myself some money. Well roughly 3000 miles later, I'm getting a pretty sweet converter shudder when lock up mode engages so out goes the trans sometime soon.
And this is where I want to do some modding again.

Things on the to-do list are:
New converter. Gonna get a heavy duty Dacco converter
4.11's for the rear end
Already have a 4.11 front chunk that I'm going to install
Get a winch bumper (it's ordered)
and install my winch

Here's the bumper I'm gonna get

And my winch

Dad's gonna build his Bronco up sometime, he's gonna swap in a 351 and put 33's on it since he's running my old 31's lol. We're gonna go wheelin' together with them and I do believe it'll be fun.

FYI progress will probably be slow on this thing. I'm just about done with the restoration of my car, it's priority number 1 right now since that project has been dragging along for a year and a half, but if I have some extra cash it'll be going towards the Bronco.
I guess I'll post a pic of the car for *****s and giggles

It has a pretty nice engine to say the least

Old 03-28-2013, 10:24 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Anyways back to the Bronco. Here's a few more pictures of it that I had on my computer

Oh and here's a picture of dad's as well. 84 with my Mustangs old motor in it. Has no low end torque but it does excellent on the highway. And it just so happens to be stuck here lol

Here's his winch set up. He chose not to get a bumper and just made his own set up

Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice pictures, I really like the bumper you picked, is that the one from JBG's catalog?.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Stokes
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Off to a good start! Money on the torque converter is money well spent, when my bronco was still a AOD auto the new torque converter would slip too much on snow runs in high range (on 38"s with 4.88 gears). so dont skimp on the converter!

Old 03-29-2013, 01:46 AM
JayderAK
New User
Awesome strand I love the colors on yours red and white......I need paint baad lol

Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Originally Posted by Encho
Nice pictures, I really like the bumper you picked, is that the one from JBG's catalog?.
If by JBG you mean Jeffs Bronco Graveyard, then yes that's the one
It'll take 6 weeks to get here which kind of sucks but it's the only bumper I found for a reasonable price and it's the only style I liked

Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stokes
Off to a good start! Money on the torque converter is money well spent, when my bronco was still a AOD auto the new torque converter would slip too much on snow runs in high range (on 38"s with 4.88 gears). so dont skimp on the converter!
Yeah definitely not gonna skimp on the converter, that's for sure! Last time I checked, the converter was about $300. And dad had one in his '97 F150 and it held up to his abuse, and when lock-up came in, you better hold the F on cuz it grabbed and held good.

Also to correct my original post, I have a 4.10 front chunk, not a 4.11 lol

Old 04-03-2013, 11:23 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Had a Powerstroke come in the shop that had a MASSIVE skid plate. It covered everything from the 7.3's oil pan all the way to the back of the transfer case. Bought it off the guy for $80. Going to put it on one of the Bronco's and sometime make a duplicate so we can both have one

Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice, alot of people in my town have foxbody 5.0's. Someone I know has 1 thats supercharged, making a little over 400hp and used to have a turbocharged 5.0. Nothing like hearing a supercharged 5.0 from across town. My brother used to have a 95 5.0 no mods except H -pipe exhaust setup to flowmasters, thing was loud and fast, ended up selling it to a kid that bored it and put new cam shafts in.

Anyways back on track nice bronco, I like the pre-runner light bar on the bumper, cant justify spending over 300$ for one though. I'd rather make one.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 AM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewEnglander
Nice, alot of people in my town have foxbody 5.0's. Someone I know has 1 thats supercharged, making a little over 400hp and used to have a turbocharged 5.0. Nothing like hearing a supercharged 5.0 from across town. My brother used to have a 95 5.0 no mods except H -pipe exhaust setup to flowmasters, thing was loud and fast, ended up selling it to a kid that bored it and put new cam shafts in.

Anyways back on track nice bronco, I like the pre-runner light bar on the bumper, cant justify spending over 300$ for one though. I'd rather make one.
I got lucky on the bar. One of my dad's friends ordered it for his Powerstroke and when he got it, he realized it was miss-packaged. Turns out it was for a little Ford Ranger. It's not as wide as the actual F150/Bronco prerunner light bar. So I picked it up off him for $100.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:21 AM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Originally Posted by NewEnglander

Oh and about the car
Here's the engine

FRPP B303 cam, roller rockers, BBK SSI intake, Edelbrock 170cc heads with 2.02 intake and 1.6 valves, MAF conversion, Flowtech equal length long tubes and underdrive pulleys. I'm guessing right at 300 hp to the tires

Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
thin blue line
Freshman User
nice work keep it up

Old 04-08-2013, 05:14 PM
NewEnglander
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Very nice, I wish I had the time to take my engine out just to clean it up and replace my oil pan

Old 04-09-2013, 08:00 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Ordered rear gears and new axles tonight. My drivers side rear axle seal has a decent leak and the rear end makes a little howling, so I figure the axle bearing has already pitted the axle pretty bad so went ahead and got new axles. Gonna get all new bearings from O'reilly's and get a shim kit from a local guy who can cut me a sweet deal. So hopefully by next weekend I'll have this thing running 4.10's and actually be pleased with how it drives lol

Old 04-16-2013, 07:52 PM
88LX5.0H
Senior User
Got the rear 4.10's installed today. They're a good improvement over the 3.55's BUT if I could go back in time, I would get 4.56's. The 4.10's didn't quite make as drastic of an improvement as I thought, and I can already tell that I'll still have trouble towing with the Bronco since it doesn't make enough torque when lock up comes on in third gear. But when unloaded and I'm not driving it hard, it does way better than it did before. I'm either going to install the front chunk this weekend, or haul my four wheelers out to the family cabin to test out how the 4.10's do with a load on them. It's a good 30+ mile one way trip so I'll definitely be able to tell if the 4.10's do good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kinda sorta build thread