1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1983 Econo restore. Now the seats/foam. Arrrg

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
conis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1983 Econo restore. Now the seats/foam. Arrrg

Its been a work in progress. All A1 to date. EXCEPT the seats. So here's my sad saga. I am the original owner... bought this beast as a bare bones beer can and had it converted to a "luxury van" ( hahaha luxury???) Two Kustom Fit captains chairs were installed (in '83) The foam, especially in the seats, is beyond shot; Crumbles- GONE. Upholstery is good.

Fast fwd. I have them apart. Fabbing up new foam with countours is gonna be a biotche. I have gotten nowhere with Kustom Fit as far as replacement molded cushions as in "hey buy new seats from us instead?" Ah... no. It's an '83 I use for camping and hunting...

Some company out there must make replacement molded cushions for van seats. I am not finding much on line.

For what I will have into fabbing new foam for the seats, time and money, I could replace them with so-so from JC... except the freight $$ is scary. Fixed income and all.

Any leads on molded van seat replacement foam?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:41 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You have 30 year old seats in a specific aftermarket design and I really think it's gonna be unlikely you would ever find foam to fit those seats well.

I have had a number of conversion vans over the years and have found that aftermarket conversion seats are basically not very long lasting. I had a real high end Chevy van that I bought from a work buddy and flipped for a profit but the seats were hilarious--I think the van was about 6 years old and was a high end Starcraft. They are made like cheap furniture--to look fancy in a showroom but not built to manufacturer standards. Is there any way you could get a pair of Ford captain's chairs or stock van seats from a junkyard?

I have an '02 E150 mild conversion and a bad back. When the van was a couple years old, I bought a pair of OEM new van seats from a converter and I LOVE the factory seats. I suspect they will outlast any conversion seats.

Just an idea. Call some junkyards and see what they'll sell a pair of OEM Ford van seats for. They won't be velour (which I also hate) but chances are they will have some support and will last you a while.

George

Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Can understand an original owner wanting to "restore...All A1" & salvage the original seat material IF "Upholstery is good". But don't see strong case to believe "Some company out there must make replacement molded cushions for van seats" matching your '83 "Kustom Fit" you can buy Off The Shelf - especially IF they can't help you.

Not sure how expensive: "For what (you) will have into fabbing new foam for the seats, time and money, (you) could replace them with so-so from JC" IS? But, IF you're stuck on restoring the old seats USING the old coverings & ran out of steam as a DIY project - look for a pro.

Look for local furniture repair shop. Good ones have a variety of different density foam, special tools to cut/carve foam & the adhesives/fasteners to assemble foam on frame. Some are experts at it, especially if there's enough "beyond shot; Crumbles- GONE" foam left to use as a pattern.

Not sure how much more expensive "freight $$ is scary" IS? But, IF, Price Is No Object & you just got to have those 30 YO old seats - have you considered services ads in 'Hemmings Motor News'?

Like George, IMO there's never been a conversion van seat anywhere near as good as the high end FORD OEM Capt. Chairs.

Unlike George, I've grown reluctant to "Call some junkyards" since the several Self Service recycling yards in my region, for the most part, can't/won't tell you anything about availability, or condition, of seats. One yard tries, but is unreliable. It's best just to go, consider it a fishing trip & hope for good luck.

However by looking in a Self Serve yard you gain the benefit of being able to consider a huge variety of alternative seats - not just FORD OEM. For instance you might find Kustom Fit seats in a GM van? Or other conversion seats that are close enough to reskin w/you old hides? Or throw in a pair of Mustang or Lincoln seats?

The beauty of it is that these so called U-Pull yards are cheap, b/c you do the work. On 3 'parts menus' from my local yards bucket seats are under $20.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:27 AM
conis
New User
DIY foam job

Thanks for the comments.

Have local sources for med density foam, tools to cut and contour foam, hog rings/ pliers, more time than money. Enthusiasm is lacking, however.

95% probability it will be a DIY effort.

The seat foam is at the point there is nothing left to use for a pattern.

Should I get involved in fabbing up new seat cushions, I ought to post some photos which might help someone else in this situation. Right now I have the foam out and seat upholstery off. I don't think this will be rocket science, just cut and fit= slow going. Once I have one...I can copy it. #2 much easier. No hurry.

They were quality seats at the time they were bought. Having lasted 30 years. Upholstery is still A1... so might as well spend $100 and try to salvage them? The Econosaur only sees 2-3k miles a year in summer, so putting new ^$ seats in it doesn't make huge sense. Not going for cosmetics or custom, here.

I hadn't considered salvage yard seats but might be worth a look. Never know. There are a couple van conversion places within an hour. They might have something used? I have a feeling that the economy-grade J.C.W. seats are uncomfortable-minimal losers. Like all else, get what ya pay for... + truck freight.

My original question was if anyone knew of aftermarket molded foam replacements for van seats and I knew it was a long shot. Unless I get a response from "Kustom Fit" ( OEM), that idea is out the window. Never hurts to probe around a little. Asking and probing is cheap.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM
conis
New User
Van Seat replacement foam.

I'd like to give Kustom Fit van seats at "10" for customer support and service! So here's an update!

I had emailed them on a long shot about replacement foam, and got back the anticipated response: "Too long ago"... So tried again. This time noting their recliner van seat model# near identical to mine and asked if they would measure the foam and supply the seat cushions only? They did and I took a chance... ordered a a pair, thinking their seat config or people butts probably haven't changed that much in 30+ years?

So they arrived today and after a prelim test fit to the frames and covers, VERY CLOSE. They are a little long and can easily be trimmed to fit. I'll use my band saw and a metal blade to trim where needed,

A day job rather than a week long hacked and patched job.

I am a retired guy so It's nice when I don't have to struggle to make do, and things come together for a change. Customer service still matters and in this day and age, it seems to be an exception.

Keep this in mind if you have some van seats that could use a foam refurb.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:53 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
Thanks for sharing---there indeed might be a few who'd need something similar for older seat frames.

I will add my '03 new-to-me E250's lower cushion had a sag I thought was just a broken spring, easy enough to replace. Instead the metal frame is now so thin the spring simply pulled through the frame making it impossible to reattach it.

Local auto upholstery shop did a great job of welding and strengthening it to the tune of $60; new was available for about $118 from Ford. Seat foam and fabric cover also available, each of those about $100 too.

Long story short the newer frames are much less robust, in my case only three years makes a big difference. Saving an older seat that's still in good shape and probably has a good frame is probably a good idea, especially in an older van.

Great update---glad you found something workable!

Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 AM
conis
New User
Seat frames.

1983 predates cheap-flimsy-throwaway. Frames-springs in my seats are sherman tank grade. The new foam will wear out before the frames ever do.. which is never..

These were top of the line seats in 1983 (translated ^^^$$$ in'83) and in my mind would be worth restoring even if I had to replace ALL the foam and upholstery. Extremely comfortable with fold down arm rests... recliners. The van has no other seats in the rear, The front seats can be swiveled 180º facing rearward. I have slept in them. Have a slide in convertable table/bed for the back. This is a great road trip/ resturant/ motel mobile. All I need is a peace sign in the back window...

The upholstery shows some wear and fading but is still in tact and not brittle. A few battle scars here and there. When I get through this, I plan to invest in some decent seat covers...

Old 04-06-2013, 07:57 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
One quick add-on. It does not sound like you will be doing *that* much extended traveling, but the front passenger seat of an E van bothers the heck out of my wife where she can't tolerate more than 100 miles or so...knee and spinal alignment problems.

And frankly, I can't stand any big chunks of time in that seat either. Our next van (which will be a retirement/travel vehicle) will have to be something with a front seat suited for someone who is not a left amputee.

Just a thought...with that many kids, your wife may be happy to sit in back with them, but for us, it's just the 2 of us most of the time, and I like my honey to ride "shotgun" and converse, have her read maps, etc.

George

Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 AM
conis
New User
I pretty much use the van for hunting and fishing trips, grounded in the winter.. No kids. No wife. Just one happy camper piloting an econosaur.

I would have to agree on legroom issues, passenger side. Pretty tight. I have to remove the passenger seat to get the engine cover off. A pain.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Another agreeing that right seat is NOT meant for adults! If your feet can touch the floor there's just no position that's comfortable. Now on my fourth E Van I've sat in that seat no more than 50 miles cumulative---I'd almost rather walk!

Removing both seats is such snap its my first step for doing almost anything under the dog house. Well, if not both then certainly the one closest to where I'll be working.

FWIW I'm also a lone wolf of sorts!

Old 04-07-2013, 10:36 AM
conis
New User
Yeah. 4 nuts hold each seat to the pedestal. 2 minutes max/ea. Further complicating things is that this van has a factory floor shift to work around. I think I'll replace the nuts with wingnuts!

Just finished seat #2 this morning: 5.5 hrs labor for both, and $84 in mat'l and shipping. Feel like NEW!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:31 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Later E Van's use two Torx Plus bolts at the base front, 18MM nuts at the back---I bought sockets just for those fasteners. Suggesting seat removal to someone whose not done it gets a blank stare---until they realize how easy it is to do and what a difference it makes in some chores.

Not a lot of time or money invested in restoring good seats---glad you can ride in comfort now!