Sponsored by:

Project Ecks Begins

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 10:42 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Project Ecks Begins

So, I got it home last night. Had a long drive from the purchase point so I noticed a few things.

1. Steering. Lots of small adjustments to keep it in its lane. I guess that's the steering wander everyone talks about. Another steering issue is return to center. Seems the final 1/4 turn back to center doesn't happen. I've read several posts about it but there seem to be many proposed solutions. I know its recently had the ball joints replaced and the brakes done. I'll be looking into the other variables later this evening and report back.

2. Overhead console: What is the second or rearward most pocket for? I open mine and theres nothing there. Just some tower features that look like Lego buttons but no "holder" or anything. Help!

3. I have a couple of cluster lamps out that I will be replacing. I think while I have it out, I'll replace/clean them all. Any tips for cluster removal?

4. And yes, I have the door ajar issue. I'll be stocking up on the WD for this one.

So, as far as being 12 years old and having 167k on it, I think I did fairly well. Its a solid well maintained truck. Other than the steering deal, it drives great and everything works. The interior is very clean and the only thing broken is the headlamp switch ****. It stays on but when you pull for fogs, it comes off. The exterior is really nice as well. No scratches, only one ding near the fuel door and it looks easily "dent doctor-able". It has new tires, LR E, as well as the previously mentioned parts.

Upgrades/fixes planned:
V/B spirings
rear sway bar
RAS
shocks
fix steering issues
fix door ajar
remove muffler
tuning chip
CCV mod
OEM diff cover swap
AIS replacement
locate keyless code
change to F series grille <--- anyone have one??

Other normal maintenance:
all fluids
full checkup
clay bar whole acreage
wax

I'll get some pics of it later and post them.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by carbon coupe
2. Overhead console: What is the second or rearward most pocket for? I open mine and theres nothing there. Just some tower features that look like Lego buttons but no "holder" or anything. Help!
That's the compartment o hold your garage door opener, if you have one.

Before you do the spring swap, since this is a new-to-you rig, make sure all the steering and front end suspension components are in good shape and don't need replacement or repair.

Stewart

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the Ex club but....

...wheres the pics?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:48 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
That's the compartment o hold your garage door opener, if you have one.

Before you do the spring swap, since this is a new-to-you rig, make sure all the steering and front end suspension components are in good shape and don't need replacement or repair.

Stewart
My garage is only for the hot rods at this point. So no opener for me. Maybe I'll put the ejector seat release in there!!

Im going to crawl around under there tonight and check everything out. Im also going to have the guys at my local shop have a look. The alignment/steering guy is a picky car guy....we get along well and he goes the extra mile for me.....he also owns the place. Family values wins every time!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:51 AM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Welcome to the Ex club but....

...wheres the pics?
Pics coming.....need to get home first. They get mad if I take pictures in the parking lot at work. Blue oval helicopters will get me.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:43 PM
59CRL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pics coming.....need to get home first. They get mad if I take pictures in the parking lot at work. Blue oval helicopters will get me.
Sounds good, sounds like a good project and you have your plans layed out.... have fun and post pics

Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the madness

Old 03-28-2013, 07:40 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
So I was under the Ex this evening with a pry bar searching for anything loose or moving where it shouldnt. The steering link to the pitman arm seems a bit loose but not clunky. It just seems to move on the ends quite smoothly. Then, I hit it with the palm of my hand and there was a clunk sound. I traced it to the output shaft of the steering box. Hmmm, time to get my 5/8 and 3/16 allen wrench to tighten up the box. What I did is turned it by 1/4 turns until the output shaft was snug then backed it off about an 1/8th and tightened the nut. Total turn in was about 2/3rds. I went to spray it off and it seemed much better. I may check it again tomorrow for a final adjustment but Im quite happy with it now.....and it was simple!!

So after a nice wash, I took some pictures of it for all to see. This is a fantastically clean vehicle. Garage kept and well maintained.

Couple of questions:
1. For the door ajar issue, which of the several latches in the rear hatch/doors is the one with the switch?

2. Does anyone have an extra headlamp switch ****? Mine comes off when pulled for fogs. (thanks in advance)

Attached Images        
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, nice find!

Old 03-28-2013, 09:29 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Very nice! I'm jealous.

From what I've read about the 7.3, you may want to keep a spare CPS and a small 10 mm wrench I believe handy. They tend to fail and can leave you stranded.

When you remove your cluster, I assume you'll be taking the cover off the column for better access. Check for a chafed wire by the shifter. Reinforce it with extra electircal tape while you have it opened.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:21 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jh818
Very nice! I'm jealous.

From what I've read about the 7.3, you may want to keep a spare CPS and a small 10 mm wrench I believe handy. They tend to fail and can leave you stranded.

When you remove your cluster, I assume you'll be taking the cover off the column for better access. Check for a chafed wire by the shifter. Reinforce it with extra electircal tape while you have it opened.
Thanks.

Never thought about the CPS, good tip. I remember from a few years ago there was a "kit" that was suggested to be in every 7.3 vehicle. Belt, glow plug relay with proper tools, some oil and trans fluid....other stuff I dont remember. I'll be putting this together soon.

As for the shifter wire issue, great reminder. I work in electrical and remember this being a big thing. Those are .35mm/sq wires too, like working with hair.

The good thing about this one is I believe they really were highway miles (not a lot of shifting) and it did sit in the garage most of the time. I did get lucky on this one, the guys wife was pissed it was being sold.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow, that thing seems to be in really great shape! I think I am a little jealous now, and wish to retract my request for pics.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Im thinking about the 6637 Air Filter mod. The latest kit has the dust cover. It just seems its being starved for air.

Any comments on this? Go, no go??

My worries are underhood air, sensors, filter minder (saw the mod) and a big unsupported filter bouncing around.

I started by looking at the high dollar filters with the 'box' around it. Not sure I want to spend $300 plus on it though. Was thinking about making my own box from a cheap plastic battery box but the 6637 filter seems so big.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks.
JC

Old 03-28-2013, 11:40 PM
LionFan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of questions:
1. For the door ajar issue, which of the several latches in the rear hatch/doors is the one with the switch?

2. Does anyone have an extra headlamp switch ****? Mine comes off when pulled for fogs. (thanks in advance)
The rear hatch is where the switch is.
Can't help you with the headlamp switch though, sorry.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 PM
Stebs
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upper hatch, there's actually 2 switches, 1 in each latch.

Quick Reply: Project Ecks Begins