1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

truck shipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 PM
84redwolf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck shipping

Hey all, so I'm moving across the country (California to Virginia)! While it's tempting to take a few weeks and do a long scenic route w/ the truck, I've opted to ship it.

Does anyone have recommendations for shipping companies? Any/all advice is appreciated!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM
teardropty
Posting Guru
I use to own a transport company so I will throw my 2 cents out there. First of all, make sure any company you use has their DOT AND MC authority. Any idiot can get a DOT number, but in order to haul for hire across state lines a carrier MUST have an MC (motor carrier) authority. You can verify their company on the Federal Motor Vehicle/DOT website. There are too many fly-by-night guys out there throwing vehicles inside enclosed trailers and hauling them cheap. It's all good until your truck disappears, there is an accident or they get stopped by the authorities and your vehicle is impounded. I am cheap just like most people and love fudging the rules sometimes, but when I hand over my cargo I want someone that has the proper insurances and authorities to operate legally. I have been removed from the business so long that I can't really offer any suggestions about a carrier. You might want to check out Uship.com but MAKE SURE the bidder has the authorities to legally bid the job. It will list their numbers/credentials. Another option, if the truck would make the trip, is find a trusted friend to drive it for you. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I had a non running, flat bed F4 shipped from NM to east TN late last year. I got quite a few bids, some realistic and some not so. Some of the contacts sounded like absolute fools and some of them tried to take me for being one. Estimates were all over the board. I paid what I thought was a reasonable price. My oversize, immobile vehicle compounded the problem of finding the right sub with the right equipment. Truck had to be winched on and off the carrier and was too wide for many carriers. Verify and question whatever anyone in the vehicle shipping business may tell you. There are some very impressive web sites. Many shippers will have you believe they own the trucks and control everything. Not so. Most, if not all hauls are subcontracted.
I went with Stateway Auto Transport as the broker. Stateway was pretty much up front in all respects and kept me abreast of what was happening until they put me in contact with the sub. Turns out the sub was a good ol boy, headquartered not far from me here in east TN. The sub and I were both very flexible on delivery as it ran into a long holiday weekend. I knew he wanted to be home with family over Thanksgiving more than I wanted the truck so we both agreed to slide delivery date. Delivery was uneventful and I really enjoyed conversation with the driver. He happened to own a couple old Fords.
There are some real horror stories related to shipping a vehicle but my experience was quite good. Having the truck shipped was a lot cheaper than I could have gone to pick it up myself.
Good luck

Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
I was looking at the pictures of your truck in your album. It looks pretty darn sweet! I know this is easy for me to say, but I'd change the oil, make sure the tires and brakes are in good shape, buy myself a AAA membership, and tell the family that I'll see them on "the other side" in Virginia in about a week. This is your opportunity to have an adventure that you can remember for the rest of your life. Where are you moving in Virginia?

Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 PM
84redwolf
New User
Ya know, I really want to do that. Maybe stop by a few ballparks and see some baseball games. Here are my hangups:

- GAS! Since it only has the stock 10 gal tank, I'll be stopping every 3 hours to fill up! Not to mention the cost and having to stop that many times.
- Tires. I honestly don't know how old the tires are but they look decent. I do need to rotate them. In the end, I want brand new tires and new wheels w/ stock trim and hubcaps
- Weather. I have a bunch of duffle bags that'll go in the bed but I need to figure out a cover. Ideas?

Finally, overall uneasiness. I think the truck will do just fine, but there is some doubt. I put in a new radiator last week and this weekend will finish up the short task of a kickdown kit and checking the brakes. Even with all that, I'm still a little uneasy.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:50 AM
FP
Elder User
Originally Posted by raytasch
I had a non running, flat bed F4 shipped from NM to east TN late last year. I got quite a few bids, some realistic and some not so. Some of the contacts sounded like absolute fools and some of them tried to take me for being one. Estimates were all over the board. I paid what I thought was a reasonable price. My oversize, immobile vehicle compounded the problem of finding the right sub with the right equipment. Truck had to be winched on and off the carrier and was too wide for many carriers. Verify and question whatever anyone in the vehicle shipping business may tell you. There are some very impressive web sites. Many shippers will have you believe they own the trucks and control everything. Not so. Most, if not all hauls are subcontracted.
I went with Stateway Auto Transport as the broker. Stateway was pretty much up front in all respects and kept me abreast of what was happening until they put me in contact with the sub. Turns out the sub was a good ol boy, headquartered not far from me here in east TN. The sub and I were both very flexible on delivery as it ran into a long holiday weekend. I knew he wanted to be home with family over Thanksgiving more than I wanted the truck so we both agreed to slide delivery date. Delivery was uneventful and I really enjoyed conversation with the driver. He happened to own a couple old Fords.
There are some real horror stories related to shipping a vehicle but my experience was quite good. Having the truck shipped was a lot cheaper than I could have gone to pick it up myself.
Good luck

I second this. This is who I used to transport my truck from California to Illinois. It was a good experience, and communication was excellent. I research them well, and found their credentials to be legit.

Good luck with the move.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM
oscajo
Senior User
Duffel bags

Just get a box of contactors trash bags at the home depot. I travel from Jacksonville florida to the keys every year. Whatever goes in the back other than coolers goes in a bag. Have never wet anything yet, even with some fierce rain storms I`ve had to drive in. Enjoy your trip.

Sincerely,

Oscar

Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
It's like sex.The first time you are unsure and worried if it will go all right. Then no matter how bad it was you can't wait to do it again.Drive the old girl.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Everyone thought I was nuts last year when I said I was driving my 53 to AK, but I made the trip of 15K miles with only one small breakdown. Thank You Dano78 for the use of your shop, all of the help in finding parts and use of your spare truck while mine was down.
Believe me, a trip like this will make memories that you will cherish for a lifetime.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by mechmagcn
Everyone thought I was nuts last year when I said I was driving my 53 to AK, but I made the trip of 15K miles with only one small breakdown. Thank You Dano78 for the use of your shop, all of the help in finding parts and use of your spare truck while mine was down.
Believe me, a trip like this will make memories that you will cherish for a lifetime.
Wrong, not everyone thought you were "nuts." I followed along and read each and every post, looked at each picture. Quite envious. Trip of a lifetime, for sure.

I suspect the OP is possibly military and may not have complete flexibility.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:06 AM
oscajo
Senior User
Drive

Originally Posted by mechmagcn

15,000 miles? where did you drive from, Australia? just kidding ,but mileage seems to be way off. Still hope you enjoyed the trip.

Take care,

Oscar

Old 03-28-2013, 10:07 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
We have FTE members in AZ, NM, TX, AL, IL, KS, OK, IN, KY, VA, GA, NC, .... You'll never be very far from help if needed. Some may be willing to put you up for a night. Hotels and meals are the big cost items, unless you camp out.

But replace the tires first, if there is any question. Why is your gas capacity oonly 10 gallons?

Old 03-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by oscajo
15,000 miles? where did you drive from, Australia? just kidding ,but mileage seems to be way off.
He drove from Arkansas all over the western U.S., then up through California and the Pacific northwest before driving all over Alaska and wandering back and forth through Canada on his way home. I'm surprised the mileage wasn't more. We all just sat back and cheered him on.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Last year for Truckstock we drove my stock '49 F-2 with flat six and heavy duty four speed 1600 miles round trip. Not quite the same as your 2500 mile trip but I had a limited time to do the trip, I don't know your time table for yours so this type of trip might not be viable for you. I would do it if you have the time. The way I looked at my trip to KY was it might be an once in a life time adventure that the truck and I will ever take. I planned that if the F-2 would break down on the way down there I'd find a storage facility to tow it to and then rent a car to finish the trip and then later come back with my trailer and retrieve the truck.

I have told literally hundreds of people about the trip and I know I will continue for the rest of my life. If you have the time I say go for it, it will be a story you have to tell for the rest of your life. Also, as Ross said, you have family all along the way to help if you have a problem. The one thing that will always stay with me was the chatter on this board from almost the minute we left home until we got to Doc's and then after we left and got home again. Everyone wanted to know where we were ever every step of the way. I posted every night on our way to let everyone know how our trip was going.

You also mentioned your limited fuel capacity. Half the fun I had on my trip were the gas station stops. At almost every one some one came up to me to talk about the F-2. I got all kinds of attention from younger people and from older guys who had a story to tell about the truck they grew up with. With the F-2 it rides like a buckboard and has a small cab so the frequent breaks were welcomed to just get out and stretch my legs. With my truck I think we made about two gas stop a day, once in the morning before we started and then one in the afternoon.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mechmagcn. Jeff, Stopped by my Island and spent about a week here. We drove all over everyday checking stuff out. Only problem he had was when 70+ girl scouts moved into his camp ground. He was scared to death and couldn't get moved out of there fast enough. I will add that the Mercedes diesel running gear worked great. Hows the new little wife Jeff?

Quick Reply: truck shipping