1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

truck shipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:22 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Just my 2 cents, go for it. This was the day in the late 70's leaving California for Massachusetts. You can't see the tow bar in this picture, however I flat towed the Model A 31 Vicky with my 49 that was running a 56 Nailhead Buick back then. Not in the picture was an old Mercedes. I got 3 cars cross country in just over 3 days with 4 drivers. I have fine memories of that trip

Old 03-28-2013, 12:35 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's so nice a pic Bill.

I saved it to my screen saver thing.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2013, 01:20 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Its funny, when we were young we just took off for anywhere with bald tires a leaky radiator, heck the car i had in High School , any gas over 1/2 tank ran rite out. And as carefree and stupid as we were everything always seed to work out fine, and now those are the memories we call the good ol days, LOL. But these days I over think everything, and consequently never, or rarly do anything worth mentioning. I think the guys may be right, this could be an adventure of a lifetime. Its easy for me sitting here to give anyone advise, so what ever you end up doing, have fun, be safe, and keep us posted.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Its funny, when we were young we just took off for anywhere with bald tires a leaky radiator, heck the car i had in High School , any gas over 1/2 tank ran rite out. And as carefree and stupid as we were everything always seed to work out fine, and now those are the memories we call the good ol days, LOL. But these days I over think everything, and consequently never, or rarly do anything worth mentioning. I think the guys may be right, this could be an adventure of a lifetime. Its easy for me sitting here to give anyone advise, so what ever you end up doing, have fun, be safe, and keep us posted.
The ironic thing is we were a lot more gung ho about just jumping in the car and shooting across the country before the age of cellphones, roadside service, GPS units, Onstar, Sync, etc. than we are now.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:42 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
My then wife and I drove the freshly ebay purchased panel from NM to NC in two days. I had the truck checked out by the father of a friend, but I hadn't seen it except in pictures until we picked it up. Flew out there with a suitcase full of tools and a GPS equipped laptop. Would I do it again? Probably.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
I read a quote someplace not too long ago, I don't if it was here or somewhere else, something like "The less life we have left the more we value it". We don't want to waste what we have, when we were younger we never thought about dying or getting into situations we would have to pay for later. I know we'd just throw some stuff in the back of my car with a tent and go off for the week end. Now my wife wants to pack half of the house to good some place where we'll be staying at a hotel.

Originally Posted by Doc
The ironic thing is we were a lot more gung ho about just jumping in the car and shooting across the country before the age of cellphones, roadside service, GPS units, Onstar, Sync, etc. than we are now.
That's why driving down to your house didn't really bother me. I had my GPS(a lot of good that did), my cell phone and towing insurance, none of which I had when I was young. One thing I might have more of than most is time. Being self-employed I do have a little leeway so if I broke down I could take an extra day or two to get back.

Originally Posted by AXracer
My then wife and I drove the freshly ebay purchased panel from NM to NC in two days. I had the truck checked out by the father of a friend, but I hadn't seen it except in pictures until we picked it up. Flew out there with a suitcase full of tools and a GPS equipped laptop. Would I do it again? Probably.
That's the way to do it. I know that my wife would never have gone along with that plan, she needs start and end dates, routes, names, numbers, but I would. That is a true adventure.

My all time favorite commentator was Charles Kuralt. I envied his job, he got paid to drive around to small town America and find human interest stories. HE GOT PAID TO DO IT!!! Now that would have been the job I would want. He had an adventure every week!!

Old 03-28-2013, 06:33 PM
84redwolf
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All sounds great! I'm currently looking at different routes as well as recruiting a buddy to ride with me.

If it doesn't work out, I'm still looking at shipping. I looked at Stateway based on the comments earlier and it seems ok (although there are quite a few bad reviews). Any thoughts on DAS transport?

Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
My son used DAS twice with excellent results. Deal directly with them, tho, not thru a broker.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 PM
84redwolf
New User
Sounds good. They seem pretty on the ball w/ everything. I'll probably use them if I go that route. Next question, Open or Enclosed trailer? Obviously enclosed would be better, but is it really worth the extra $600? Can I just lash down a cover and put it on the open trailer?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by 84redwolf
Sounds good. They seem pretty on the ball w/ everything. I'll probably use them if I go that route. Next question, Open or Enclosed trailer? Obviously enclosed would be better, but is it really worth the extra $600? Can I just lash down a cover and put it on the open trailer?
IMO, a cover may not be a good idea.
Is the truck nice enough to warrant a cover?
If the cover were to work loose and start flapping at 70 mph, will the driver really see it or care? There will be some disclaimer about loose items. May or may not apply.
Will the transporter even allow a cover?
If your truck has to be repositioned on the transporter, will the driver want to play with a cover? Extra charge, perhaps.

If you decide to make the cross country drive, Know thy truck.
Has it been driven regularly?
If you know of any problems, rectify them prior to the trip.
Are you comfortable with the cruise speed of the truck?
Is the driveline modern enough that you can find parts in most towns?
Three hours is a good time to get out and move about.

And as I mentioned, and you found out, there are lots of horror stories and bad reviews. You have to go with your gut. Expect schedule flexibility.
Good luck with what you decide. We'll want to know if you make the trip.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:55 PM
tomrflorida
Junior User
shipping a non running 49F1

I shipped my non running 49F1 from Ky to Florida with no trouble It was the 3rd car I shipped from Ky to Florida The other 2 were a running 71 Mustang MACH 1, and a non running 67 Mercury Cougar XR7. When I shipped I just rolled the dice and looked at shippers on the internet. I agree that I was quoted all over the place but took a quote in the middle and every thing went fine all 3 times

Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by arctic y block
Hows the new little wife Jeff?
The new wife is doing great Never thought I would do this again, but have no regrets

Old 03-28-2013, 09:51 PM
homade
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you Jeff.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
We have FTE members in AZ, NM, TX, AL, IL, KS, OK, IN, KY, VA, GA, NC, .... You'll never be very far from help if needed. Some may be willing to put you up for a night. Hotels and meals are the big cost items, unless you camp out.

But replace the tires first, if there is any question. Why is your gas capacity oonly 10 gallons?
And don't forget Missouri. I'm right in the center of the state and we have a newer member in the St. Louis area. There are couple just off I-44 in the Southwest of the state.
A cross country trip sounds cool. I would be willing to bet we could get you there without you having to get a hotel room.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 PM
jmerson
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shippers

I've had three cars shipped here to the west coast by Thomas Sunday. Great service and good drivers. Reasonable prices good equipment. Besides, he's my brother-in-law. No, just kidding, but Thomas Sunday himself did bring one out for me, a 1934 sedan. They started with a '55 Chevy hard top from Maine and then a '58 Corvette from New Orleans and last was the '34 Ford.
Always good service. No deposit, wrote him a check when the car arrived.Can't beat that. Always in covered vans and the cars were covered within the van.

Quick Reply: truck shipping