1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Intermittent wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 02:59 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Intermittent wipers?

Has anyone tried to adapt a later intermittent wiper motor and column control switch to their F100. I plan to try this on my 56 with a 95 Taurus motor and then either try to use the column with the switch or just modify the switch and mount elsewhere.
Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks.

Larry

Old 06-03-2003, 04:39 PM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent wipers?

LEckert,

If you have success, please let me know! I am attempting the same thing right now, but with NO success. I have a new wiper motor for my '59 F100. My rod shop guy and I got a new wiper switch that has intermittent, slow, fast, and off on it. Getting the motor to run the wiper blades was easy. But, for some STRANGE reason, we can't for the life of us get the wiper blades to "park" (ie, come to the resting position at the bottom of the windshield) when we turn it off. Strangest darn thing. I did pick up a used OEM wiper switch just in case this late model switch won't adapt.

Anyway, let me know if you have success. Ironically, I'm in the same predicament and am out of ideas on how to solve!

Thanks,
Daryl

Old 06-03-2003, 07:38 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 717 Likes on 257 Posts
Intermittent wipers?

Daryl,

does a stock '59 wiper motor have the 'smarts' to work intermittently and park ??? I thought there was some circuitry involved...

john

Old 06-03-2003, 08:07 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Intermittent wipers?

Daryl and John-

I assumed you had to go to a later model wiper motor to get the "smarts" for intermittent and park plus I want more than two speeds and a real "stop/go" cycle. I stated earlier I bought a Taurus motor but actually I bought a 95 Windstar motor (may be the same for all I know, a senior moment thing) and the column so I could get the factory switch that it hooked to. Now I just have to figure out how to install the motor with the stock wiper arms plus decide if the column is worth the trouble to install or just find a way to adapt the column switch to a different location and use my intended Ididit column. This may take awhile.

Larry

Old 06-03-2003, 08:18 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Intermittent wipers?

Yes the stock wiper motor has the smarts to park on it's own if wired correctly. A after market wiper delay can be installed to it. Fyi their is a screw on the back of the motor that ajust were the wipers stop on the wind sheld.

Old 06-04-2003, 09:08 AM
DS02F250
Posting Guru
Intermittent wipers?

57_Ford,

Thanks for the 4-1-1. The motor I got from Bob's F-100's and it should be a direct replacement for the OEM wiper motor. I'll take the info to my installer and hopefully that will shed the necessary light on the matter to resolve it. Guess I need to adjust that screw to get the proper "sweep". I guess I also need to get the after market wiper delay for my wiper motor since it is a direct replacement and couldn't otherwise function in the intermittent mode.

Daryl

Old 06-04-2003, 05:32 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Intermittent wipers?

DS59F100, I may have worded that wrong that screw only affects were the wipers park when the switch is turned off. I looked in my shop manual and the factory wires are hooked to the switch like this. Yellow (power) hooks to term. B, Green wire to term.F, Black wire to term. P, Red wire to term A,The ledders are labled on the back of the switch.

Old 06-05-2003, 06:38 AM
Jim VA.
Senior User
Intermittent wipers?

Gentlmen, I guess that we are working on the same parts this week. I also have a wiper question. on my 54 I do not know if the wiper motor is still 6 volts or 12 volts,how can I tell?. the truck had a 302 prior to my buying it so I figure that it is 12 v. .all I can tell is the motor has three wires. black,red,and green. what wire does what. and what is the current draw?it seems excessive. Larry, sorry for stepping on your post. Jim VA.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:42 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Intermittent wipers?

Jim-

No problem. I usually learn something with each new post or reply.

Larry

Old 06-05-2003, 07:30 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Intermittent wipers?

Jim a stock 54 should be 6V I am not sure 12V will hurt it or not. Sounds like the wire colors are the same. If it works the same as my 57 all 3 wires are power. One wire stays hot when turned off it is the park wire. Then one of the other 2 is low and both together will be hi. Don't remember what colors do what.

Old 06-07-2003, 03:17 PM
blueovalinvestments
Junior User
Intermittent wipers?

Hi all, I'm just finishing up a late model intermittent wiper install in our '55. Using a wiper motor from our donor car, an 87 Grand Marquis. Made an adapter plate from scrap stainless to bolt the motor to the 55's wiper mechanism. The wiring will be the Mercury wire harness plugging into the Merc switch & steering column. Re-using the wire harness is a bit tedius, but makes things like this easier, not to mention cruise control, EFI and a host of other ameneties.
If anyone wants to see pics, I can post them in the gallery.
Ed

Old 06-07-2003, 09:23 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Intermittent wipers?

Ed-
Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the wiper motor install.

Thanks. Larry

Old 06-09-2003, 06:29 PM
blueovalinvestments
Junior User
Intermittent wipers?

Larry, Posted some pics of the adapter, the wiring will be a plug in deal, as the wiper, switch, steering column and wire harness are all out of the same car.
Ed

Old 06-09-2003, 08:18 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Intermittent wipers?

Ed- thanks for the photos. If I understand them correctly, the wiper motor will now be under the dash? Does that interferewith the cowl vent? Larry

Old 06-09-2003, 08:23 PM
blueovalinvestments
Junior User
Intermittent wipers?

Yes, the assy goes in just as the original did, and it's real close to the cowl vent. I still need to reinstall the vent and check it's operation for clearance. I'll let you know.....
Ed

Quick Reply: Intermittent wipers?