Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Mid-Atlantic Region > Maryland Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: jr32560

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 AM
Senior User

firewood truck is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
looking for an oddball part for my '90 F250

I'm getting ready to swap motors in my old work truck again, the last time I did it I didn't have to correct transmission spacer plate so I've been trying to find the correct one without much luck.

I have a '90 F250 w/ the 5.8 and a 5 speed manual trans. I need the metal spacer plate that goes in between the bell housing and the block, it fits in behind the flywheel. Apparently these are specific to the 5.8/manual trans because of the 164 tooth flywheel that the 5.8 uses. ( the 4.9 and 5.0 use the 157 tooth flywheel)

If anyone has one of these, I'd like to buy it from you!

Fleabay hasn't been any help, they are NLA from ford.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Jeff's Bronco Graveyard has one for $32

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...-302-351w.html

Picture shows a bell housing, Not sure why, you may want to call

This plate is listed on the same page for nearly the same price, so I imagine the other is a plate

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-...tor-plate.html

Amount of teeth should make no difference, the plate is snug around the crankshaft.

The starter head gear would be where the change appears, by the number of the teeth. You can not use a manual starter on an automatic, and vice versa

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 03-28-2013, 12:59 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustybumpers View Post

Amount of teeth should make no difference, the plate is snug around the crankshaft.

The starter head gear would be where the change appears, by the number of the teeth.
Thanks for the link, unfortunately it shows the plate for an automatic trans. I'll give them a call and see if they have anything for me.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Posting Legend

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
The first link is for the manual trans plate, but has a picture of a bell housing.
I'm sure it's a plate, because of the price. Best to make a call.

They also have used parts, so you probably will get what you need from them.

I have used them several times in the past, and have never been disapointed

Charlie slackmaster #26
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 PM
Senior User

They confirmed what I suspected- the starter index plate , flywheel tooth count and bell housing is what locates the position of the starter. The 5.8 uses the 164 tooth flywheel so it uses a specific index plate. Looks like I'm gonna have to keep looking.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:04 PM