Sponsored by: Moser

Painter Woes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:36 PM
SilverTrucker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painter Woes

Been without my truck 2.5 weeks now, had someone repair some rust issues. Price was way too good for the service, jumped up after they found some deep rust in the doors and under the windshield.

So I paid the extra. Finally, truck back from paint and I go to inspect. Sorry, no pics but I'll probably go take some tomorrow and post em up here.

The rust repair on the outside of the doors and above the windshield, perfect. Except the guy installing the windshield put three long deep gouges in the general area.

Next to the 250 symbol, a whole slew of new scratches, looked like from someone's belt, all up and down. Probably didn't have a step to use when he was mudding above the windshield area and just reached instead.

The drip rail. It's coated in chrome, I saw tape on them when I went to inspect them doing it but apparently it wasn't enough to stop whatever he was using to sand it down. New scratches and dents throughout. Whole thing needs replaced and it looks like they're welded on. Guy tried to talk me into taking $300 off the price and replacing those myself. Hello, mcfly... No, you're eating that one.

All the around the drip wells, deep gouges from sanding. I have no idea how the painter thought I'd not notice that.

Inside the doors, forgot to address the issue with the door colliding with the step area, newly painted area already rusting out.

They completely ignored one of the spots they agreed to repair, the rust bubble had already grown since I dropped it off. Back area near the top seam and on the drivers side seam he bondoed a portion of the seam but not another part.

Long story long, I chose the wrong person to do this, should have paid the extra thousand, I'd probably be driving it right now and it'd have been done right.

Rant over, but I do HAVE A QUESTION for the forum. There was some sort of caulk type material in the drip rails, he messed that up too but they installed it prior to paint. Is this right? It can't be right, was like caulk, the moment it shrinks down or weather fluctuates the paint's going to peel up there right?

*sigh*

Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
Man It's not even my truck and that hurts .. It makes me think about shotguns

Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverTrucker

Rant over, but I do HAVE A QUESTION for the forum. There was some sort of caulk type material in the drip rails, he messed that up too but they installed it prior to paint. Is this right? It can't be right, was like caulk, the moment it shrinks down or weather fluctuates the paint's going to peel up there right?
The gutters need a seam sealer like PN 5159 from 3M. Ask to see what they used.

Originally Posted by redroad
Man It's not even my truck and that hurts .. It makes me think about shotguns
'makes me think of chains, cuffs, an anchor, and being offshore in about 2,000 feet of ocean.... but in comparison I like my freedom too much.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
devino246
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good, Cheap, Fast; pick two.

Seems like you only picked one

Old 03-26-2013, 10:13 PM
KIKKUP
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ouch! I have realized I cannot afford to have a shop paint mine so I will be doing it myself. I think my truck is in pretty good shape and does not need a lot of body work but I'm told it would be 5500 or so to do it right.

Pull off the bed, front clip, gut the cab, remove the glass doors etc. Cost of paint system is 1200-1500 and the rest is labor. I cannot tell you how hot I would be paying that kind of coin and the getting surprises or extra charges for something they left out of their quote. I am hoping I can paint it myself for 3500 or less and that would include buying a decent compressor and paint guns. I'll probably take a heck of a lot longer and I don't have a paint booth or oven but I've seen many done in garages that have turned out pretty nice.

I wish the best of luck to you and hope they get it sorted and make you happy.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:11 PM
SilverTrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by devino246
Good, Cheap, Fast; pick two.

Seems like you only picked one
More like only got one. Cheap...

Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 AM
lurch460
Senior User
The caulk looking stuff is seam sealer, sounds like cheap stuff as is rest of the job.

My advice would be to get your truck out of that shop soon. He is not going to fix his screwups, if he did not do it right the first time. Take what you can get out of him and take the loss man, sorry to say that, but its the truth. If he agrees to fix it , more than likely it will just sit at the shop while he takes on new work. The longer its there the more likely more stuff is going to be damaged.

And yes seam sealer is applied under primer and paint, its used where two pieces are welded together to keep the seam from getting crap in it and rusting out.

The drip rail is welded on, but the trim should not be. Its an easy on and off if you know what you are doing. Should have been taken off to do the job properly. If you get new ones, I advise against LmC, have a set they are poor quality as you can expect.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:27 AM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KIKKUP
Ouch! I have realized I cannot afford to have a shop paint mine so I will be doing it myself. I think my truck is in pretty good shape and does not need a lot of body work but I'm told it would be 5500 or so to do it right.

Pull off the bed, front clip, gut the cab, remove the glass doors etc. Cost of paint system is 1200-1500 and the rest is labor. I cannot tell you how hot I would be paying that kind of coin and the getting surprises or extra charges for something they left out of their quote. I am hoping I can paint it myself for 3500 or less and that would include buying a decent compressor and paint guns. I'll probably take a heck of a lot longer and I don't have a paint booth or oven but I've seen many done in garages that have turned out pretty nice.

I wish the best of luck to you and hope they get it sorted and make you happy.
$3500 should buy a pretty good paint job and bodywork, depending on how much of the latter you have. Not show winning quality but not cheap either.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 AM
SilverTrucker
Senior User
Originally Posted by lurch460
The caulk looking stuff is seam sealer, sounds like cheap stuff as is rest of the job.

My advice would be to get your truck out of that shop soon. He is not going to fix his screwups, if he did not do it right the first time. Take what you can get out of him and take the loss man, sorry to say that, but its the truth. If he agrees to fix it , more than likely it will just sit at the shop while he takes on new work. The longer its there the more likely more stuff is going to be damaged.

And yes seam sealer is applied under primer and paint, its used where two pieces are welded together to keep the seam from getting crap in it and rusting out.

The drip rail is welded on, but the trim should not be. Its an easy on and off if you know what you are doing. Should have been taken off to do the job properly. If you get new ones, I advise against LmC, have a set they are poor quality as you can expect.
I saw what they did on the doors, unfortunately did not see the cab area. It was mudded when I showed up. I only pray he did that part right and his boss is the the cause of the other but I agree. I should get it out of there but at what cost.

A wise man once told me when I was dissatisfied with the work done on another project to ask

"is this the best you can do?"

I did, and he's willing to fix it. It's a small shop and they do lots of different things for income there. I gambled and I lost for now but I still have to give the benefit of the doubt. Sucks for me but sucks for him too. I've yet to have to go to court for anything in this life and I'd prefer to keep it this way.

He ordered the trim tonight without argument, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM
lurch460
Senior User
Well thats good if he lives up to it. Don't stay away,pop in and check on the work. If it seems he starts pushing it off get on him to get it down and out of there. Nothing is worse to a small shop than bad customer reviews. Spread the word about his work. The same goes if he stands up and fixes the truck right, brag about his quality.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Filthy Beast
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch460
Well thats good if he lives up to it. Don't stay away,pop in and check on the work. If it seems he starts pushing it off get on him to get it down and out of there. Nothing is worse to a small shop than bad customer reviews. Spread the word about his work. The same goes if he stands up and fixes the truck right, brag about his quality.
Agreed!!!
There's nothing like "word of mouth" advertising! But if you still are getting 'pooned,' I definitely agree with the 'rope and a stout tree' idea. No courts, no witnesses and good for the buzzards and coyotes.
You still have trees in Utah, no?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM
redroad
Lead Driver
Received 493 Likes on 411 Posts
I think if I were to farm out my paint work .. I would take them a couple of doors and agree on a price to do the prep work on them .. If it went well I'd bring them the hood and fenders .. If that went well I'd roll the frame and the cab down to them .. If that went well we we can start shooting primer .. If they didn't want to work that way I'd find someone who would .. That way you' would have control of the job more and nip in the bud if they weren't up to the task ..

Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 PM
bamaf150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by redroad
I think if I were to farm out my paint work .. I would take them a couple of doors and agree on a price to do the prep work on them .. If it went well I'd bring them the hood and fenders .. If that went well I'd roll the frame and the cab down to them .. If that went well we we can start shooting primer .. If they didn't want to work that way I'd find someone who would .. That way you' would have control of the job more and nip in the bud if they weren't up to the task ..
I'd just ask to see some of the work they have already performed. You can usually find out who does the good work pretty quick by asking around as well.