Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Towmaster tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 PM
rtalich
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towmaster tranny

Pretty stoked. I just pulled the trigger on a genuine Towmaster from John Wood. I've had the truck since 2003 and the tranny went out shortly after I had it. Not knowing what I should or should not have done I took the advice of the shop I took it to at the time. Well, long story short, 4 transmissions later... all repaired under warranty... it went out again!! All the while, in the back of my head I wish I would have known about John or Brian way back when. Well this time i decided to go with John Wood mainly because of where I'm located. Of course, the shop I took it to highly advised me against buying something over the internet. I hope I made the right choice.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:38 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You can't go wrong with a JW trans.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 PM
rtalich
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordpride
You can't go wrong with a JW trans.
I know. Well, I've done quite a bit research and have not come across a single bad post or bad review on his stuff. But how do you tell or convince someone who's in the profession otherwise? Who doesn't know who these guys are? I've tried and you know... it sort of makes you sound, well, quite stupid. I know exactly what they're thinking... "You believe anything you read on the Internet?" I'm putting all my faith in information gathered on these forums. But when he started telling me that it isn't necessary to over build or put certain things in the tranny that, in his opinion, was a waste money... that sealed the deal to go with John Wood!! I'm an engineer and it goes against my DNA to not make it as robust as possible. Especially if its mine.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rtalich
... it sort of makes you sound, well, quite stupid. I know exactly what they're thinking... "You believe anything you read on the Internet?"
There's a HUGE difference! There are a bunch of us who have been to John's shop, much like there are a bunch of guys who have been to Brian's shop.

Both John and Brian have had their "brick and mortar" repair facilities for many, many years. Possibly even longer than the shop who doesn't believe you.

But when he started telling me that it isn't necessary to over build or put certain things in the tranny that, in his opinion, was a waste money... that sealed the deal to go with John Wood!!
Yeah, say's the guy who had to warrantee his build for you 3 times!

Maybe if he woulda "overbuilt" his transmission (read: built it the right way the first time) you wouldn't be on your 4th trans from the guy.

If he hasn't learned his lesson after all this time, he aint gonna pull his head out of the sand and start learning now.

You made the right choice. I've been to John's shop...twice. Once for a trans and once to hang out while Jody from DP-Tuner was there for a weekend doing live tuning, and I live 9 hours away.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-26-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
BTW, where are you located?

Stewart

Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
rtalich
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
You made the right choice.
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 PM
rtalich
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
BTW, where are you located?

Stewart
Seattle area.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by rtalich
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You're welcome.

I have a JW built trans in my Excursion and one in my '99 F250.

My son has an ATS built transmission that broke on him a couple months ago. That doesn't surprise me. I feel like ATS builds are no better than stock OEM transmissions. But the former owner had the ATS put in a couple years before my son bought the truck.

I told my son when he bought the truck he needed to start saving money for a new transmission because in my opinion the ATS was junk and would break on him sooner or later.

It turned out to be sooner.

Stewart

Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Johns tranny and its awsome. Over the internet? Ask your builder how many full magazine spreads in Diesel Power and 4 Wheel magazine he has had written about his builds. Of coarse ask nicely if he is putting in the new one.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

You made the correct decision, rest assured.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:29 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I could have saved $1500 and bought a Ford HD4R100. Went with the JW Towmaster for a reason.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Dude, I had never bought a single thing from John Wood. In fact, I have a BTS valvebody in my tranny. My father had a local shop do an overhaul on his because it was running hot. New HD torque converter, new progressive HD tranny cooler, synthetic fluid. $1700 all in all and it was still running a bit higher than we would like when towing his 5er. After talking with Clay at Riff Raff, he mentioned that maybe I should talk with John Wood, so he got me his number and after leaving a message with someone at Johns shop, he called me back. I got on the phone with John Wood and he very patiently went through what was going on, gave me his insight into why he thought was going on and why, told me how he got to be so knowledgeable on the 4R100, etc. we ended up buying a bypass kit that he sells for like $40 and it helped immensely. He was on he phone with me at least 30 mins to make less than probably 20 bucks profit off me. Hardly worth a man like thats time for sure. Guy probably makes $1000 an hour or more some days. His tranny is worth every penny. Believe it.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I don't have a John Wood transmission, but I do have a few of the parts , he uses, in mine. Like Jason, John and I talked for at least 45 minutes one morning. He shared with me a few of the things he does to his transmissions and his thoughts about the parts I have in mine and why some "so called" improvements fail. He made me feel more confident about my own rebuild and how well it was going to hold up to the rigors I was going to throw at it. He treated me fairly in my parts purchase and sent them out promptly. He is a stand up guy in my books.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:12 AM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Good comments. I am in the midst of rebuilding my 7.3L and while it's out I'm taking my tranny to JW hopefully next week. At 400k miles I never had a problem with motor or tranny, but with a fresh motor and some performance upgrades I thought it wise to take care of the tranny "before" it became an issue.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:41 AM
rtalich
Senior User
Tranny due to ship tomorrow!!!

Quick Reply: Towmaster tranny