Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:26 PM
04KingRanch's Avatar
04KingRanch 04KingRanch is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
04KingRanch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anyone switched from 6.0 PSD to 6.2?

I currently have an 04 F-350 with a 6.0 and I am curious as to what people think about the switch to a 6.2 gas. I have heard some good things about this motor and I am thinking about making the switch if I can afford it.

I currently use my truck on the farm and I don't want to lose the torque or horsepower, but I am looking for a little less maintenance and fuel cost.

Please share your opinions...

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM
claycomotrucks1991's Avatar
claycomotrucks1991 claycomotrucks1991 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MISSOURI
Posts: 253
claycomotrucks1991 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I switched 3years ago and never looked back, lower maintaince costs and still tows my 30 foot travel trailer with ease!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:47 PM
RedHorseFarm's Avatar
RedHorseFarm RedHorseFarm is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Columbus, NJ
Posts: 15
RedHorseFarm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sold my 03 F250 6.0 (202,000) and bought a 2012 F350 6.2 and wouldn't go back. I pull gooseneck horse trailers and a 38' enclosed gooseneck for my business. It will downshift to 4th on the hills, but never loses speed. I can even pass on inclines if needed. Compared to the 6.0, maintenance costs are next to nothing and most importantly the RELIABILITY is there! I have the 3.73 but would imagine the 4.10 is pretty nasty.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 PM
GSSF17's Avatar
GSSF17 GSSF17 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
GSSF17 is starting off with a positive reputation.
The gasser is no oil burner by any shake. That said, the 6.2 can pull with the best of them. Just remember, she makes power much higher in the RPM range than the diesel.... the torque is good but you need to let the engine sing a little to get it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM
sammy77's Avatar
sammy77 sammy77 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,799
sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSSF17 View Post
The gasser is no oil burner by any shake. That said, the 6.2 can pull with the best of them. Just remember, she makes power much higher in the RPM range than the diesel.... the torque is good but you need to let the engine sing a little to get it.

Coming from a diesel guy, this is the hardest thing to get used to. It just makes it seem like you and the truck have to work harder to tow with all the shifting going on. That would be the biggest hurdle for me. I towed with a 6.2 a month or so ago. Plenty of power & torque for a gasser. Mpg's sucked @ 7-8mpg. It's a much improved ride in general and the interior of these newer trucks is unbelievable. IMO, if you don't need a diesel, I'd get one without a second thought.

Btw, are the injectors normally very loud on a 6.2?
__________________
'13 F150 FX4 Boost'd
'07 Explorer 4.6 Ironman
'13 Explorer Sport
'05 F350 6.0 SOLD Problem Free..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Snowman 8 Snowman 8 is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 81
Snowman 8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had 2 6.0 headaches, I guess I didn't learn after the first one and had to try it again . Now I have a 12 F350 with a 6.2 & 3.73 gears and no regrets! I have always had diesels so it was hard to get used to not having the low end torque but the 6.2 will do anything that my old trucks would do. They do like to burn gas but you have to remember gas is cheaper than diesel and maintenance costs are cheaper also, 7qts of oil vs 15qts and so far I haven't had any repairs. By the time my first 6.0 had 45000 miles it was in the shop for head gaskets! You can go on the 6.0 forum and those guys can tell you how to make them somewhat reliable but why have that constant worry about what will happen next? I wouldn't even hesitate if I was in your shoes, if you find one you like and can swing it do it before that 6.0 costs you more money.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-25-2013, 03:43 PM
04KingRanch's Avatar
04KingRanch 04KingRanch is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
04KingRanch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman 8 View Post
I had 2 6.0 headaches, I guess I didn't learn after the first one and had to try it again . Now I have a 12 F350 with a 6.2 & 3.73 gears and no regrets! I have always had diesels so it was hard to get used to not having the low end torque but the 6.2 will do anything that my old trucks would do. They do like to burn gas but you have to remember gas is cheaper than diesel and maintenance costs are cheaper also, 7qts of oil vs 15qts and so far I haven't had any repairs. By the time my first 6.0 had 45000 miles it was in the shop for head gaskets! You can go on the 6.0 forum and those guys can tell you how to make them somewhat reliable but why have that constant worry about what will happen next? I wouldn't even hesitate if I was in your shoes, if you find one you like and can swing it do it before that 6.0 costs you more money.
I agree with the repairs. The truck had the head gaskets replaced and the turbo gone through before I bought it. I drove the truck for 20,000 miles since I bought it and had no problems until we got some bad fuel and now the Water In Fuel light is always on and the truck is having a hard time running. I believe that I am going to get this problem solved, might have it fixed now, and focus on looking for a gas vehicle.

As far as towing, I will pull a 26ft. cattle trailer with 8-10 cows on it from time to time. Our farm has an F-250 with a 7.3 PSD and my F-350 with the 6.0. My truck seems to handle the weight better, even though our farm truck will run circles around it with the 7.3. Should I go with a F-350 to handle the weight or will the F-250 handle it?

After reading about the gas vs. diesel, I believe that the gas will make the most since for what I am looking for, unless they come back out with the 7.3 in the new trucks .

Keep the opinions coming.

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
2000silverbullet's Avatar
2000silverbullet 2000silverbullet is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 5,314
2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold2000silverbullet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04KingRanch View Post
I currently have an 04 F-350 with a 6.0 and I am curious as to what people think about the switch to a 6.2 gas. I have heard some good things about this motor and I am thinking about making the switch if I can afford it.

I currently use my truck on the farm and I don't want to lose the torque or horsepower, but I am looking for a little less maintenance and fuel cost.

Please share your opinions...

Adam
Well, your fuel bill will go up, diesels get much better mpg's, but the maintenance on the gasser is significantly less than a diesel. Repairs on the diesel are higher, but resale is higher with the diesel, etc. It's all relative... Of course I'm assuming you've seen one of the many posts of me spamming the forum with my 16,500lb pull from the Ohio meet.

Some good perspectives in this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...?highlight=6.0


Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy77 View Post
Btw, are the injectors normally very loud on a 6.2?
Yes, they chatter quite a bit. I was concerned about this and brought it to my dealers attention when I bought the truck, he noted it, and the tech and service manager said it's normal. I didn't believe them so I went and bought a cheap harbor freight mechanics stethoscope, sure as heck, they were right, those things will blow out your ear drums with a stethoscope.
__________________

Matt
2011 F350 - 6.2 CC, LB, 4.30s, Lariat Ultimate pkg, FX4, Amp steps, Lockpick, AC LC6i, JL HD900/5, JL 13TW5, JL C5-570's, Bilstein 7100 stabilizer, Rancho RS9000XL's, Leveled w/ 35" Toyo M/T's and 5 Star tuned
**Sold - 2000 F250 V10, 6.5" Pro Comp, 37" Toyo MT's
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
dualwheels66 dualwheels66 is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,715
dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.dualwheels66 has a good reputation on FTE.
Since you are towing, I would highly recommend the 4:30 gears.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM
sammy77's Avatar
sammy77 sammy77 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,799
sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet View Post
Well, your fuel bill will go up, diesels get much better mpg's, but the maintenance on the gasser is significantly less than a diesel. Repairs on the diesel are higher, but resale is higher with the diesel, etc. It's all relative... Of course I'm assuming you've seen one of the many posts of me spamming the forum with my 16,500lb pull from the Ohio meet.

Some good perspectives in this thread:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/12...?highlight=6.0




Yes, they chatter quite a bit. I was concerned about this and brought it to my dealers attention when I bought the truck, he noted it, and the tech and service manager said it's normal. I didn't believe them so I went and bought a cheap harbor freight mechanics stethoscope, sure as heck, they were right, those things will blow out your ear drums with a stethoscope.

My friend who owns the truck was concerned it was something internal. I did the same thing with my stethoscope, once I heard it was the injectors, I figured they all sound loud it's gotta be normal? Like I said, I wouldn't think twice about buying one and my 6.0 has been good to me.
__________________
'13 F150 FX4 Boost'd
'07 Explorer 4.6 Ironman
'13 Explorer Sport
'05 F350 6.0 SOLD Problem Free..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 PM
nico963's Avatar
nico963 nico963 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: chicago,IL
Posts: 961
nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy77 View Post
My friend who owns the truck was concerned it was something internal. I did the same thing with my stethoscope, once I heard it was the injectors, I figured they all sound loud it's gotta be normal? Like I said, I wouldn't think twice about buying one and my 6.0 has been good to me.
So you liked it Sam?I keep getting the "new truck Itch".I have diesel in my blood and I keep looking at the 6.7.I also keep thinking about the potential problems ANY new diesel can have.The 6.2 is definitely a worry free engine.I drive the 2012 F-450's at work with the V-10's and I can't get used to the high reving.Then again I've never owned a gasser before.
__________________
Rob
2007 F-250 6.0 CC SB 4x4 Black FX4
20in Black BMF Novakane 8's W/ Toyo M/T 33x12.50x20
Stock Motor with a pipe that makes noise.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM
cparks cparks is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Linden USA
Posts: 469
cparks is starting off with a positive reputation.
I switched from 2005 F250 6.0 to 2012 Raptor 6.2 and love it.
__________________
Clayton Parks - Michigan
2012 Ford Raptor SuperCrew Supercharged 6.2
1957 Ford Ranchero 4x4 428 project
1960 Ford F250 4x4 521 stroker project
2014 Ford Explorer 4x4
1971 Ford Bronco
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:54 AM
sammy77's Avatar
sammy77 sammy77 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Illinois
Posts: 3,799
sammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant futuresammy77 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico963 View Post
So you liked it Sam?I keep getting the "new truck Itch".I have diesel in my blood and I keep looking at the 6.7.I also keep thinking about the potential problems ANY new diesel can have.The 6.2 is definitely a worry free engine.I drive the 2012 F-450's at work with the V-10's and I can't get used to the high reving.Then again I've never owned a gasser before.


I do like it.

And I love the interior, man are they nice! I can't get used to the reving either..lol I only towed 6k lbs with the 6.2, but it made the 6hr drive seem longer cause I kept trying to keep it from shifting so high and frequently. But the gassers are all like that. They make power in the higher rpm's. It did make me want a new truck again, but my 6.0 has been pretty much like yours... trouble free. I'll tell you one thing, around here it's not easy to find a 6.2 loaded. There are 6.7's everywhere though. If I were to replace my truck today, I'd lean more towards a 6.2.

We have an '11 F450 6.7 that we use for the car business we have, 130k miles on it and it's been a great truck. It's amazing what that truck does with 17k lbs behind it. I know how you are Nico, don't ever tow with a 6.7..
__________________
'13 F150 FX4 Boost'd
'07 Explorer 4.6 Ironman
'13 Explorer Sport
'05 F350 6.0 SOLD Problem Free..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
04KingRanch's Avatar
04KingRanch 04KingRanch is offline
Junior User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 71
04KingRanch is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy77 View Post
I do like it.

And I love the interior, man are they nice! I can't get used to the reving either..lol I only towed 6k lbs with the 6.2, but it made the 6hr drive seem longer cause I kept trying to keep it from shifting so high and frequently. But the gassers are all like that. They make power in the higher rpm's. It did make me want a new truck again, but my 6.0 has been pretty much like yours... trouble free. I'll tell you one thing, around here it's not easy to find a 6.2 loaded. There are 6.7's everywhere though. If I were to replace my truck today, I'd lean more towards a 6.2.

We have an '11 F450 6.7 that we use for the car business we have, 130k miles on it and it's been a great truck. It's amazing what that truck does with 17k lbs behind it. I know how you are Nico, don't ever tow with a 6.7..
So is it a consensus that everyone here would go to the 6.2 over diesel if they were going new? The ONLY thing that I am worried about is the lack of torque. What kind of numbers does the 6.2 make for torque? I have also read some guys using tuners to free up some torque. Is this common?

I am sure that when it comes time I will go with the 6.2 and not the 6.7, I am just trying to do as much research as possible and use my resources .

Adam
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM
nico963's Avatar
nico963 nico963 is offline
Elder User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: chicago,IL
Posts: 961
nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.nico963 has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy77 View Post
I do like it.

And I love the interior, man are they nice! I can't get used to the reving either..lol I only towed 6k lbs with the 6.2, but it made the 6hr drive seem longer cause I kept trying to keep it from shifting so high and frequently. But the gassers are all like that. They make power in the higher rpm's. It did make me want a new truck again, but my 6.0 has been pretty much like yours... trouble free. I'll tell you one thing, around here it's not easy to find a 6.2 loaded. There are 6.7's everywhere though. If I were to replace my truck today, I'd lean more towards a 6.2.

We have an '11 F450 6.7 that we use for the car business we have, 130k miles on it and it's been a great truck. It's amazing what that truck does with 17k lbs behind it. I know how you are Nico, don't ever tow with a 6.7..
Too late Sam,We have 6.7's at work and you better believe I've been useing them to tow.Man are they fun!I do like the 6.2 and I suppose I would get used to the high reving after awhile.Im not in any rush to go out and buy right this second but a left over 13' does sound temping.I just don't know if it will be gas or diesel.
Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:14 AM
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Picking up my 6.2 TOMORROW! 04KingRanch 6.2L V8 12 05-01-2014 07:01 AM
Fuel Mileage 04KingRanch 6.2L V8 21 12-17-2013 11:45 PM
Mods that should be done to my 04 PSD 04KingRanch 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 6 03-22-2013 12:22 PM
04 F250 exhaust 115POWERSTROKE Super Duty & Heavy Duty 0 01-06-2010 07:59 PM
Question for Matt and other 03' trucks with SCT tune turboman24 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 18 08-13-2007 01:28 AM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


Participate In The Forums

Create new posts and participate in discussions. It's free!

Sign Up »





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup