6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Anyone switched from 6.0 PSD to 6.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone switched from 6.0 PSD to 6.2?

I currently have an 04 F-350 with a 6.0 and I am curious as to what people think about the switch to a 6.2 gas. I have heard some good things about this motor and I am thinking about making the switch if I can afford it.

I currently use my truck on the farm and I don't want to lose the torque or horsepower, but I am looking for a little less maintenance and fuel cost.

Please share your opinions...

Adam

Old 03-24-2013, 08:25 PM
claycomotrucks1991
Senior User
I switched 3years ago and never looked back, lower maintaince costs and still tows my 30 foot travel trailer with ease!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:47 PM
RedHorseFarm
New User
Sold my 03 F250 6.0 (202,000) and bought a 2012 F350 6.2 and wouldn't go back. I pull gooseneck horse trailers and a 38' enclosed gooseneck for my business. It will downshift to 4th on the hills, but never loses speed. I can even pass on inclines if needed. Compared to the 6.0, maintenance costs are next to nothing and most importantly the RELIABILITY is there! I have the 3.73 but would imagine the 4.10 is pretty nasty.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:31 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The gasser is no oil burner by any shake. That said, the 6.2 can pull with the best of them. Just remember, she makes power much higher in the RPM range than the diesel.... the torque is good but you need to let the engine sing a little to get it.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by GSSF17
The gasser is no oil burner by any shake. That said, the 6.2 can pull with the best of them. Just remember, she makes power much higher in the RPM range than the diesel.... the torque is good but you need to let the engine sing a little to get it.

Coming from a diesel guy, this is the hardest thing to get used to. It just makes it seem like you and the truck have to work harder to tow with all the shifting going on. That would be the biggest hurdle for me. I towed with a 6.2 a month or so ago. Plenty of power & torque for a gasser. Mpg's sucked @ 7-8mpg. It's a much improved ride in general and the interior of these newer trucks is unbelievable. IMO, if you don't need a diesel, I'd get one without a second thought.

Btw, are the injectors normally very loud on a 6.2?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 PM
Snowman 8
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I had 2 6.0 headaches, I guess I didn't learn after the first one and had to try it again . Now I have a 12 F350 with a 6.2 & 3.73 gears and no regrets! I have always had diesels so it was hard to get used to not having the low end torque but the 6.2 will do anything that my old trucks would do. They do like to burn gas but you have to remember gas is cheaper than diesel and maintenance costs are cheaper also, 7qts of oil vs 15qts and so far I haven't had any repairs. By the time my first 6.0 had 45000 miles it was in the shop for head gaskets! You can go on the 6.0 forum and those guys can tell you how to make them somewhat reliable but why have that constant worry about what will happen next? I wouldn't even hesitate if I was in your shoes, if you find one you like and can swing it do it before that 6.0 costs you more money.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:43 PM
04KingRanch
Junior User
Originally Posted by Snowman 8
I had 2 6.0 headaches, I guess I didn't learn after the first one and had to try it again . Now I have a 12 F350 with a 6.2 & 3.73 gears and no regrets! I have always had diesels so it was hard to get used to not having the low end torque but the 6.2 will do anything that my old trucks would do. They do like to burn gas but you have to remember gas is cheaper than diesel and maintenance costs are cheaper also, 7qts of oil vs 15qts and so far I haven't had any repairs. By the time my first 6.0 had 45000 miles it was in the shop for head gaskets! You can go on the 6.0 forum and those guys can tell you how to make them somewhat reliable but why have that constant worry about what will happen next? I wouldn't even hesitate if I was in your shoes, if you find one you like and can swing it do it before that 6.0 costs you more money.
I agree with the repairs. The truck had the head gaskets replaced and the turbo gone through before I bought it. I drove the truck for 20,000 miles since I bought it and had no problems until we got some bad fuel and now the Water In Fuel light is always on and the truck is having a hard time running. I believe that I am going to get this problem solved, might have it fixed now, and focus on looking for a gas vehicle.

As far as towing, I will pull a 26ft. cattle trailer with 8-10 cows on it from time to time. Our farm has an F-250 with a 7.3 PSD and my F-350 with the 6.0. My truck seems to handle the weight better, even though our farm truck will run circles around it with the 7.3. Should I go with a F-350 to handle the weight or will the F-250 handle it?

After reading about the gas vs. diesel, I believe that the gas will make the most since for what I am looking for, unless they come back out with the 7.3 in the new trucks .

Keep the opinions coming.

Adam

Old 03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 04KingRanch
I currently have an 04 F-350 with a 6.0 and I am curious as to what people think about the switch to a 6.2 gas. I have heard some good things about this motor and I am thinking about making the switch if I can afford it.

I currently use my truck on the farm and I don't want to lose the torque or horsepower, but I am looking for a little less maintenance and fuel cost.

Please share your opinions...

Adam
Well, your fuel bill will go up, diesels get much better mpg's, but the maintenance on the gasser is significantly less than a diesel. Repairs on the diesel are higher, but resale is higher with the diesel, etc. It's all relative... Of course I'm assuming you've seen one of the many posts of me spamming the forum with my 16,500lb pull from the Ohio meet.

Some good perspectives in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...?highlight=6.0

Originally Posted by sammy77
Btw, are the injectors normally very loud on a 6.2?
Yes, they chatter quite a bit. I was concerned about this and brought it to my dealers attention when I bought the truck, he noted it, and the tech and service manager said it's normal. I didn't believe them so I went and bought a cheap harbor freight mechanics stethoscope, sure as heck, they were right, those things will blow out your ear drums with a stethoscope.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you are towing, I would highly recommend the 4:30 gears.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
Well, your fuel bill will go up, diesels get much better mpg's, but the maintenance on the gasser is significantly less than a diesel. Repairs on the diesel are higher, but resale is higher with the diesel, etc. It's all relative... Of course I'm assuming you've seen one of the many posts of me spamming the forum with my 16,500lb pull from the Ohio meet.

Some good perspectives in this thread:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...?highlight=6.0

Yes, they chatter quite a bit. I was concerned about this and brought it to my dealers attention when I bought the truck, he noted it, and the tech and service manager said it's normal. I didn't believe them so I went and bought a cheap harbor freight mechanics stethoscope, sure as heck, they were right, those things will blow out your ear drums with a stethoscope.

My friend who owns the truck was concerned it was something internal. I did the same thing with my stethoscope, once I heard it was the injectors, I figured they all sound loud it's gotta be normal? Like I said, I wouldn't think twice about buying one and my 6.0 has been good to me.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 PM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My friend who owns the truck was concerned it was something internal. I did the same thing with my stethoscope, once I heard it was the injectors, I figured they all sound loud it's gotta be normal? Like I said, I wouldn't think twice about buying one and my 6.0 has been good to me.
So you liked it Sam?I keep getting the "new truck Itch".I have diesel in my blood and I keep looking at the 6.7.I also keep thinking about the potential problems ANY new diesel can have.The 6.2 is definitely a worry free engine.I drive the 2012 F-450's at work with the V-10's and I can't get used to the high reving.Then again I've never owned a gasser before.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:04 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I switched from 2005 F250 6.0 to 2012 Raptor 6.2 and love it.

Old 03-26-2013, 05:54 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by nico963
So you liked it Sam?I keep getting the "new truck Itch".I have diesel in my blood and I keep looking at the 6.7.I also keep thinking about the potential problems ANY new diesel can have.The 6.2 is definitely a worry free engine.I drive the 2012 F-450's at work with the V-10's and I can't get used to the high reving.Then again I've never owned a gasser before.

I do like it.

And I love the interior, man are they nice! I can't get used to the reving either..lol I only towed 6k lbs with the 6.2, but it made the 6hr drive seem longer cause I kept trying to keep it from shifting so high and frequently. But the gassers are all like that. They make power in the higher rpm's. It did make me want a new truck again, but my 6.0 has been pretty much like yours... trouble free. I'll tell you one thing, around here it's not easy to find a 6.2 loaded. There are 6.7's everywhere though. If I were to replace my truck today, I'd lean more towards a 6.2.

We have an '11 F450 6.7 that we use for the car business we have, 130k miles on it and it's been a great truck. It's amazing what that truck does with 17k lbs behind it. I know how you are Nico, don't ever tow with a 6.7..

Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM
04KingRanch
Junior User
I do like it.

And I love the interior, man are they nice! I can't get used to the reving either..lol I only towed 6k lbs with the 6.2, but it made the 6hr drive seem longer cause I kept trying to keep it from shifting so high and frequently. But the gassers are all like that. They make power in the higher rpm's. It did make me want a new truck again, but my 6.0 has been pretty much like yours... trouble free. I'll tell you one thing, around here it's not easy to find a 6.2 loaded. There are 6.7's everywhere though. If I were to replace my truck today, I'd lean more towards a 6.2.

We have an '11 F450 6.7 that we use for the car business we have, 130k miles on it and it's been a great truck. It's amazing what that truck does with 17k lbs behind it. I know how you are Nico, don't ever tow with a 6.7..
So is it a consensus that everyone here would go to the 6.2 over diesel if they were going new? The ONLY thing that I am worried about is the lack of torque. What kind of numbers does the 6.2 make for torque? I have also read some guys using tuners to free up some torque. Is this common?

I am sure that when it comes time I will go with the 6.2 and not the 6.7, I am just trying to do as much research as possible and use my resources .

Adam

Old 03-26-2013, 10:14 AM
nico963
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I do like it.

Too late Sam,We have 6.7's at work and you better believe I've been useing them to tow.Man are they fun!I do like the 6.2 and I suppose I would get used to the high reving after awhile.Im not in any rush to go out and buy right this second but a left over 13' does sound temping.I just don't know if it will be gas or diesel.

Quick Reply: Anyone switched from 6.0 PSD to 6.2?