1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you pick a Bronco?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM
adksigns
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking back to when I was a kid...most of my toys were bronco or bronco like...secretly I think my mom or dad had influenced my future purchase and didn't even know it lol

Old 06-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I had a 66 back in the mid 80's. I drove by it every day on my way to work. I thought it was about the ugliest thing I have seen. This lasted for about 3 weeks. After some time it kind of started to grow on me. I finally stopped and took a look. Took it for a test drive and had to have it. It was awesome. I sold it in the early 90's when we moved to another province. It was a wreck.

I had an 81 as well in the late 80's for a bit. The next was a 79, but it was too far gone to do anything with. I found my current one on Craigslist a few years ago. Dropped in the engine from my other 79 and the rest is history. Hoping to park this one soon for a resto but it's just too much fun to drive.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Ghosteh
Freshman User
I started my law enforcement career in 1997, and the government stuck me in a 1996 Bronco. I drove that thing all over the hills, canyons, city, and desert and through some very hairy situations. Later, I transferred to a different state & was issued an Excursion (which I didn't like), and eventually ended up in a different branch and driving a Dodge Journey (horrible torture).

I stumbled across an old decommissioned '96 Bronco a few weeks ago, from my original station, and in good condition, considering the abuse they took. Apparently only 23 survived to be resold to the public (out of 1800), so I feel very fortunate to have found her! And the fact that it was at my same station... the odds are very good that I drove this in the field at least a few times!

I'll be retiring in a few years, and will do a frame-up restoration of this one (which will 25 & eligible for antique plates), and will have fun participating in emergency vehicle shows & events.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Snowymountainman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One trip to the mountains in a Bronco and I was hooked.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 PM
SDDL-UP
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
As many of you - I've been a Ford fan for a long time!

I still remember looking under the hood of a 70's vintage F-250 and seeing the distributor right in front - it seemed like such a better idea than my dad's 350 powered Chevy truck. Don't get me wrong that 4bbl. 350 would flat scoot, but I started liking Fords right then.

Years later I purchased the 77 Bronco seen on the left, my current one is on the right. The 77 received a 4" lift from Wild Horses, but was otherwise stock. Thanks to a rear limited slip, and automatic, that thing would go just about anywhere! I sold it years ago, and yes - kinda regret it. Then I ran across the 78 - just like my 77 a one owner rig, but instead of the $5000 I had spent on the 77, I drove it away for only $750! The reason I bought it is that I've always wanted a 79 F-150 4X4, but since I like Bronco's as well... Why not a 78/79 Bronco? Done!!!

Very happy with my decision. I had to rebuild the engine right off since a head gasket failed - didn't hurt my feelings since the factory 400 was such a dog. It's all finished now except the stainless exhaust, and should be right about 400 HP. I will install a 4" Wild Horses lift on this one too, but stock -vs- stock the 78 has a far better suspension than the 77 - that thing would beat you to death, and forget about being able to handle washboards!

No - the 78 will never be the "Jeep Slayer" the smaller Bronco's are, but I was never going to have a 400HP, engine in my 77 either. I just seems to me the bigger Bronco's are meant to have more POWER! I will be curious to see how it is wheeling once lifted. The 78 has open differentials, so I will be upgrading those at some point as well. I'd like to run 35" or 37" tires so probably 4.56 or 5.13 gears.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:12 PM
1985 Bronco
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was never really looking for a bronco, I wanted a 460! This one had a 460, ran great and looked good, so I bought it!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 PM
shaker666
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My first car was a '71 Mustang in rough shape. I loved that car and learned how to wrench and modify vehicles working on it. A close friend of mine, who is a professional mechanic, suggested a '78-79 Bronco when I asked what the basis of a good 4x4 project would be. A very good decision. Over the years, I've driven that Bronco into Mexico and Canada, overloaded it with ridiculous amounts of gear as it relocated me from country to country, and despite never being garaged, has never let me down. It is one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, easy to repair, and very durable. I'm now realizing how good looking it is as well, compared to all the crap on the road today.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:17 PM
brocluno
Junior User
Ride quality, turning radius, longevity

Old 08-27-2015, 07:27 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Always wanted one. Never managed to buy one because I couldn't justify NOT having a truck. Picked up a cherry two owner about a month ago. Ahhhh, life is complete now! The stable has always been full of Fords. Right now it includes 5 Mustangs (two '66s, one '76, a '97 convertible and a '73 Q code Mach 1), a '77 4x4 F150, a '78 F150 (also 4x4), a '97 PS F350 HD 4x4 and the '93 Bronco. The wife had an Expedition that we pretty much gave the oldest son. The Bronco replaced it. She loves it and comments everyday about how someone will ask her if it's for sale or tells her how good it looks.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 PM
winger4647
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why the Bronco

Wellllllll, not my first 4x4 but do have a love for Fords couldn't pass this up as it brought back memories of my younger years.

Of course it didn't hurt that it wasn't full of holes

Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 PM
cammobus
New User
Originally Posted by greystreak92
What finally made you opt to pull the trigger and buy a Bronco? (And don't hand us that "I got a great deal!" line.)

in 32 yrs of driving I have owned;

8 VW's 6 bugs, 1 Karmen Giha and a 78 Westie
3 Chevy's [Chevette and 74 PU w/454 and a 72 w/400sb]
66 and 67 Dodge Darts
67 Jeepster Commando
Multiple Jeep Wagoneers - 85, 86, 87
1995 Saturn

my 1st Ford I drove after I got my license was a 1952 Ford F1 Panel Truck - 8BA Flat Head - my 1st Wife drove it all through high school
- her dad had 14 Fords on 1.3 Acres of land 90% of the ran ... i'll give you the list so you can drool
46 Super Deluxe
52 Panel
52 Truck ex bomb carrier or crypt carrier for a grave yard had this weird U shaped I-Beam on the back
53 F-100
55 Ford Custom
57 F-250
58 Country Sedan - 352 Column shift
59 F-700
62 Galaxy 292 W/3sp Column Shift and Factory OD
65 F-100
77 F-250 [called 4 Sq] 400M Warner 4 sp - shifter in that truck was always stiff
80 Pinto
and some how this life long ford guy ended up buying a
78 Chevette, getting a replacement motor for that was lying in the dirt at the wrecking yard and going 100,000 miles working as a Courier in DC in the 90's

I am still missing a vehicle or 2 - that guy was an enthusiast

the 1st Ford I bought was a 1985 Ford LTD - V6 w/100k

my 1st Bronco was a 1984 Ranger XLT w/460 - Edlebrock Carb and Intake Duel Exhaust and I put 33x12.5x15 BFG ATs and went 4 wheeling all over WV
circumstances dictated I sell the bronco so away it went.

my 2nd wife was driving a 94 Explorer while we dated / when we got married, tells me one day

-honey the neighbor up the street is selling their bronco ...

zing out the door I go ....
... yep super clean, straight - white on this light blueish / purple color - new tires, tune up
- oh you only want $ 1800 and you have been trying sell it for 8 months ...
- will you take $ 1500 ... no, ok let me see what I can do ...

yeah I bought it .. wife parked the Explorer, baby you are now driving a Bronco

do I like Fords - Hell Yeah
... Purchases were all about convenience ...

I once bought a 68 VW for $ 50 bucks that some other guy looked at, could not get running and walked ... I offered the owner $ 50 ... drug it home and had it running in less than an hour ... I had that car 6 yrs.

I bought the wife the bronco for $ 1800, and probably put another $3600 including another set of tires in the last 6 yrs ... still cheaper than a payment

and before people blow up my inbox, all my Ex Father in Laws Fords are gone
I don't know what happened after my ex-wife died and her 1/2 brother moved my ex-mil to Florida and they cleaned out the house ....

Old 10-29-2015, 06:10 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I had a bit of a mishap last weekend. My parents had a willow tree growing in the yard and we realized if we let it keep going, it would become an issue as it got bigger. So my mom cut it down and asked if I'd pull the stump out with the Bronco. Long story short, mother nature kicked my **** and broke the Bronco..

Not a great weekend. So the Bronco is down again till I can repair that. Shouldn't be hard, I just need to order the pinion yoke and get started.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:59 PM
phillips91
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had wanted a bronco since middle school(early 90's) but my love for mustangs kept me from having enough money to buy one. I eventually bought a bronco 2, but it just wasn't the same. I kept it for a few months and traded it in on my big bronco in about 06. I've informed my wife that my bronco is not ever going anywhere and that I'm buying my sons broncos so that we can all have one. Once they get in your blood you just can't ever rid of them

Old 10-30-2015, 11:28 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
It certainly becomes an addiction.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grew up in mine, If all goes to plan, I will eventually be buried in it.

It has given me a quarter million faithful miles so far, has no rust, manual everything, interior is 99%, same with paint. I drive it whenever I don't drive the highboy. It is very sentimental to me. Everything works, gets 20mpg, attracts mountains of women (not mountain-sized women), done everything I could ever ask it to. I change the oil regularly, maybe a bit too early, and really baby it. It has never let me down. The Bronco will abide.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why did you pick a Bronco?