1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member with questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
slowlanemcvane
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New member with questions

Hey guys, can't remember if I introduced myself over here yet. I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, trying to learn what I can about these trucks before I really get super excited about trying to buy.

Background on myself: I'm 32 years old, a 15 year veteran in the US Army. I just recently moved up to Washington from Texas as a military PCS, currently stationed at Fort Lewis (now called JBLM). Anyway, I don't currently own a truck, and the last truck I owned was taken in the divorce. It was a 4x2 Dodge Ram 1500. Got it for a steal, so I couldn't pass it up, but it had the now-infamous weak 4-speed auto that crapped out on me about 6 months after I bought it.

I'm in the market for a truck within the next few months. I'm basically a Ford guy, having owned two Mustangs, two Focuses (Foci?), and my parents pretty much raising me on a steady diet of Fords since I was a baby (Econoline van, Fairmont, Bronco II, Bronco, Thunderbird, F-150, Mustang GT).

The trucks that I am looking at are the Super Duty line. F-250, F-350, doesn't matter much. I want a diesel, mostly because of the torque and better fuel economy. I plan on towing with it, anything from personal watercraft, all the way up to travel trailers and horse trailers. If it was up to me, I would be exclusively in the market for an 8' bed, but my new wife is uncomfortable with trying to drive something that big. Trying to talk her into it, but that's tough sometimes. I also want a crew cab.

Anyway, while doing my reading, I've pretty much decided that I want a newer 6.0 Powerstroke. The fuel economy is decent, especially compared to the 6.4, and the 6.7 is out of my budget. In my reading, I think I really want a 2005-up. Here are my reasons:

- I want the 5-speed auto, instead of the 4-speed of pre-2003 models
- I want the increased torque of the later models
- My understanding is that the later Super Duty trucks had an uprated frame
- I would like a coil sprung front end. My logic on this is that I have heard that steering response, turning radius, and cornering is improved with coils. This started right around 2005, correct?
- I also like the facelifted front end better than the pre-facelift. I would take a pre-facelifted truck, but the mechanicals seem better on the later trucks.

Sorry for the long post. If there is anything that I have listed as being incorrect, let me know. All of this is from my own research, so it's not like I'm an expert by any means. If there is anything else that I should be considering, please let me know. Great forum! Thanks, y'all!