Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Offroad & 4x4
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Offroad & 4x4 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 PM
New User

valleyoaks is starting off with a positive reputation.
F-250 stock 4x4 auto hubs or aftermarket?

First I apologize if there is already a thread on this question. I'm a newbie to FTE. Just bought my first 4w4 superduty. 2000 F-250 crew 7.3. Truck has 200K on it with stock "automatic" hubs stuck in the locked position. I've been told that the vacuum seals deteriorate with age and some people just put on Warn or other manual hubs. I'm not a serious 4x4er, just need to get going in mud/snow around the farm, pull a trailer on soft ground, etc. I like the idea of an automatic hub so I don't have to get out when I'm already stuck (or almost stuck, due to poor planning, I know). So why not just rebuild or replace the stock auto hubs? Are there better aftermarket auto hubs?
Second question: how much is the mpg penalty of running locked hubs all the time?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:54 PM
New User

one more thing re 4x4 hubs

Sorry. Forgot to add, if there is an existing thread or other definitive info on FTE please direct me to it.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
Manual hubs...you know they are locked unless you screwed them up.

Auto hubs your on the hopes of it locking it in for you when it wont.

Auto hubs will 10xs likely fail on you when you need them the most unlike manuals.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Post Fiend

alpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to all
The stock auto hubs suck.

Warn premiums.....

Amount of mpg loss is not a definitive number but I'd say its definitely enough to notice. 3-4mpg maybe depending on all other specs. You will also have to properly maintain your axle shafts, hubs and wheel bearings more often than with them unlocked
Old 03-21-2013, 03:14 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen View Post
Manual hubs...you know they are locked unless you screwed them up.
Yes that makes sense

Auto hubs will 10xs likely fail on you when you need them the most unlike manuals.
At which point don't you just go out and switch them manually, just like you would have had to do with the manual ones?

I know the common complaint is that they sometimmes go in and sometimes don't. Is this equally true for brand new ones as with older ones? Seems like Ford would have only released a production model if the features worked at least the great majority of the time for a new unit.

If that's true, then there should be some data (maybe anecdotal) that they last for xxx miles or yyy years before they become unreliable. Yes?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha/omega View Post
The stock auto hubs suck bawls.

Are there any aftermarket auto hubs that are more reliable than the OEM units?

Warn premiums.....

Amount of mpg loss is not a definitive number but I'd say its definitely enough to notice. 3-4mpg maybe depending on all other specs. You will also have to properly maintain your axle shafts, hubs and wheel bearings more often than with them unlocked
Let's assume my truck is well maintained, but stock and I drive like grandma. If I could get 3-4 mpg increase I'd be tickled pink! Anybody else have data on this?

And reducing wear/tear on the front driveline is also important to me (too old to crawl around under a truck anymore).
Old 03-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Junior User

2012 F250 6.2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have had many auto fords with auto locking hubs over the years. My 2012 has manual hubs on them with a manual 4x4 shifter. I simply lock them during snow season and run with the transfer case in 2 wheel drive until I need them and it has worked fine. If I think I am going to need 4x4 in the summer, I just lock the hubs and shift into 4x4 when I need it.

I say ditch the vacuum hubs and get a set of Warn hubs.

I had the premiums on my 97 and actually prefer the standards. They are easier to turn when its cold with gloves or freezing cold hands

2000 F-250 SUPER DUTY Warn Standard Manual Hubs - 1.312 in. Axle Outside Diameter (in) - SummitRacing.com
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 F250 6.2 View Post
I have had many auto fords with auto locking hubs over the years. My 2012 has manual hubs on them with a manual 4x4 shifter.

Came this way from the factory? If so, is this because Ford gave up on making reliable auto hubs?

I simply lock them during snow season and run with the transfer case in 2 wheel drive until I need them and it has worked fine. If I think I am going to need 4x4 in the summer, I just lock the hubs and shift into 4x4 when I need it.

I say ditch the vacuum hubs and get a set of Warn hubs.

I had the premiums on my 97 and actually prefer the standards. This is very much appreciated. I would have assumed Premium = better. Anybody else have this experience?

They are easier to turn when its cold with gloves or freezing cold hands

2000 F-250 SUPER DUTY Warn Standard Manual Hubs - 1.312 in. Axle Outside Diameter (in) - SummitRacing.com
Thanks for all the input
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
Postmaster

ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.ManfredVonRichtofen has a great reputation on FTE.
Ford stop puttin new 4x4s with manual locking hubs (unless its a solid axle equip truck) because people are getting lazy. They look for comfort. They rather not get out and turn a ****. They rather push a button hoping it works.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Junior User

Came this way from the factory? If so, is this because Ford gave up on making reliable auto hubs?

-- It is just an option. Maybe to keep price down, maybe because some people prefer it. Mine is a XL with the FX4 package.

I would have assumed Premium = better. Anybody else have this experience?

-- The premium ones just have a metal inner piece. I think the regular warns will be plenty stout for many years. I mainly prefer them due to their ease of turning.

Premium
Click the image to open in full size.

Standard
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Post Fiend

alpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to allalpha/omega is a name known to all
There are no aftermarket auto hubs that I am aware of. . If your truck is bone stock and you have good front wheel bearings and all associated parts and you kept the hubs unlocked, I'd say its possible you could see a 3-4mpg gain at cruise speed vs locked manual hubs. Around town with autos I'd expect it to be the same or a small enough difference not to notice.

The premiums ARE better hubs than the standards...period

The superdutys are available factory with either manual or auto hubs and either manual or auto shifted t-cases. I special ordered the manual case and manual hubs on my SD Lariat. I wouldn't have had it otherwise. Ford auto hubs suck.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfredVonRichtofen View Post
Ford stop puttin new 4x4s with manual locking hubs (unless its a solid axle equip truck) because people are getting lazy. They look for comfort. They rather not get out and turn a ****. They rather push a button hoping it works.
I hear ya. I wish they made the new Super Duty in a manual transmission.

So many people drive one handed with the other one up their **** because they are too lazy to shift.

Although the amish could argue that we are lazy for not taking a horse and buggy. I dont know where the line is.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Post Fiend

I don't want to shift my dd. Toys are a totally different thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Post Fiend

captain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud ofcaptain p4 has much to be proud of
The superduty autos aren't all that bad. We have 3 in our fleet with them, the transfer case part has never failed us. We've had one set of the hubs fail, but the superduty auto hubs come with a backup.. get yr *** out the truck and turn it to lock and it still works. I'd replace with stock autos unless there's a huge cost difference, I'm not sure on that. It's nice to not have to get out when they work, and if they fail then you're in the same place as if you had manual hubs.

My old '03 personal truck had the autos as well but they didn't work (180k miles on it, something had to break eventually..) I had to use a big set of vice grips to turn them from auto to lock or the other way.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM
New User

Many thanks for all the good info. I'll keep watchin the thread. Don't have to do anything about it right away as my OEM units are stuck in locked. I'm afraid to put visegrips to it as I might break something, and with my luck one would break locked and the other in the unlock position!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:29 PM