1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Loss of a family member, not in the traditional way OT

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Holy Moly it's almost 2 AM ???? Where did everybody go ?????

I'm out...

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 AM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Kevin,
Hmmm... I don't like talking on the phone much either. An alternative would be "a random act of kindness" - just start by sending him something in the mail. Anything would work - A momento from your youth that you know he would appreciate. A picture with a little note, a box of chocolates.

I send my mother-in-law a card for her birthday every year - not your typical happy birthday card but the rudest one I can find. She sends one back equally as rude. It's helped keep our relationship loose & friendly. She collects them & puts them out on the mantle for her birthday every year. Go get him a really rude card - he'll appreciate it.

Have fun with it - they aren't making any more brothers you know..

Ben in Austin

Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
I lost my brother 20 years ago, leaving me an only child. We enjoyed talking and working on cars and trucks. I wish he was still around to share the fun of building These old trucks, even if he was a C**** man. You still have a brother, that you enjoyed this hobby with. It's not easy but patch fences and get back to the important stuff. TRUCKIN
Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like others that have posted responses know that there are two side to every story .
If you and your brother were as close as it sounds then he probably misses you as much as you do him .
Go to see him ,take him out for coffee ,drag him over to play with the truck ,someone has to take the first step .
If your waiting for him to make the first move you may run out of time.
Just my opinion but it is heartfelt .

Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 AM
fabmandelux
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Not everything can be fixed. I haven't seen or spoken to my brother since 1972, 40 years ago, and have no desire to ever see him again. If we ever do meet, he's going to the hospital, and I'm going to jail.......

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have several family members I haven't seen in decades. If it was important to me to have a relationship I'd reach out to them with no expectations. They might welcome me with open arms, or they might want to mend the relationship after some time. Then again they might want nothing to do with me, which I would respect and know in my heart I did all I could, and then get on with my life. Ben said they aren't making anymore brothers, but I disagree. I have a friend who I am closer with than any of my brothers. If he shows up at my doorstep he'd have a place to live for the rest of his life. If my brother showed up I'd be gracious, but would likely be showing him his way out after a visit. My point is that you can have a friendship that is closer than a relationship with a brother, with whom the only thing you may have in common is parents. Or in my case, one parent!

My advice to Kevin is to reach out to your brother IF it is important to you, not out of a sense of duty, but because you really want to. However, be prepared. Things might be mended and all will be good. But you might suffer rejection, just know that if you do you did all you could do, and then move on. Please though, make it personal, not a post on a forum, but a visit, or a call, or a letter.

Best wishes to you my friend.

PS- I left my dads house when I was 17 thinking I would never go back or ever see him again. I'm now his caretaker. So things can change.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:22 AM
teardropty
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fabmandelux
Not everything can be fixed.
Lot of truth in that statement also.

I always believe if there is a sliver of hope, then both parties should move on and overcome. But there are people/situations that can't be fixed also. As someone said, there are two sides (heck even three or more sides) to every situation. I hope everyone can mend their fences before their time is up on this earth but sometimes it's not possible or advisable. Peace to the FTE family.