Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Senior User

AB328 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question GM'S NEW 3.6TT PUTTING OUT 420/430 HOW MUCH OF A THREAT TO ECOBOOST??

I just saw an article about GM's new 3.6 Twin Turbo for the Cadillac CTS and numbers are very impressive at 420HP and 430TQ. Assuming this gets in the trucks fairly soon what numbers do people think it will have for a truck package??
Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Senior User

gDMJoe has a good reputation on FTE.gDMJoe has a good reputation on FTE.
I once saw Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Elder User

Charlie Bravo has a great reputation on FTE.Charlie Bravo has a great reputation on FTE.Charlie Bravo has a great reputation on FTE.Charlie Bravo has a great reputation on FTE.Charlie Bravo has a great reputation on FTE.
Doesn't matter to me, I won't set foot on ground of a GM dealer. CB
Old 03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
WV Chapter LDR

Archion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant futureArchion has a brilliant future
Archion.Uberpimp PartsGuyMatt mvose OVC Archion
WHY ARE WE YELLING?
Carlisle - 2014 Mid-Atlantic Meet at Carlise >>CLICK ME<<
Old 03-20-2013, 03:42 PM
Senior User

03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
It's impossible to say what it would do in a truck. Right now it's tuned as a premium car engine on premium gas. Totally different from a truck engine.

Chances are it's going to loose some horsepower and maybe a little torque if they put it in a truck. Likely anywhere from a 5% to 15% horsepower drop.

If I had to guess, in a truck application I would say they're probably shooting for about 400hp. That would leave them room to bring out a ~425hp version of the new 6.2L (which we already know makes around 450hp in corvette trim).

With that said, I doubt Ford is worried. They've already got the next generation of the Ecoboost designed and I have no doubt they were shooting for a similar HP number for that engine.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Senior User

tspangle84 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.tspangle84 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm sure Ford isn't sitting still. They will continue to develop the Ecoboost to make it competitive with whatever The General or others have up their sleeves.

Also, while those are impressive numbers for the GM motor, I believe it also requires premium fuel. That might fly in a Cadillac, but it's not likely to in a pickup. So you may see it downrated a bit for truck use.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Ecoboost
2008 Ford Taurus X Limited
2005 Pontiac GTO
1985 BMW 325e
Old 03-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Posting Guru

Buck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to beholdBuck 1 is a splendid one to behold
Bottom Line: a GMC is still not a Ford. End of story.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
New User

gregsf150xl is starting off with a positive reputation.
being developed for a car, not a truck.....Where's the comparison???
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Posting Guru

QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.QwkTrip has a great reputation on FTE.
Do you know that Chevy is putting the 3.6 turbo engine in trucks, or is this just a "what if?"

Truck engines have more difficult requirements of durability at higher work cycles. An engine developed for a car won't land in a truck in the same configuration. And it's more than just changes of HP and Torque figures. The engine design actually changes as well. Prime example is the Ecoboost 3.5L is actually different design between F150 and Taurus SHO.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Elder User

efx4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I read an article in Truck Trend not too long ago, and it was a Q and A with the head honcho of GM's truck development. One of the questions asked to him was what's their answer to the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost going to be, if any. He said in the article that their up coming V8's already have V6 fuel economy with strong V8 power, and that there was no plans for a turbo V6. But who really knows.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:24 PM
FTE Arizona Chapter LDR

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
I think what Ford better be concerned with is the new V-6 diesel Dodge is coming out end of this year or next in the 1500. Dodge already a new a V-6 with better fuel economy in a 1500 than the EB. Even the 1500 4x4 Ram since 10 with a hemi gets 20 mpg.
I'm not all that about the EB. I want to see what 5 or 6 years & 150,000-200,000 miles of towing heavy loads etc. What will the EB show us. See not all new technology is all that great over time. Ford diesels show that point. Nobody has had more different diesels than Ford. They didn't change because they were to good.
Craig
Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip View Post
Do you know that Chevy is putting the 3.6 turbo engine in trucks, or is this just a "what if?"

Truck engines have more difficult requirements of durability at higher work cycles. An engine developed for a car won't land in a truck in the same configuration. And it's more than just changes of HP and Torque figures. The engine design actually changes as well. Prime example is the Ecoboost 3.5L is actually different design between F150 and Taurus SHO.
So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspangle84 View Post
I'm sure Ford isn't sitting still. They will continue to develop the Ecoboost to make it competitive with whatever The General or others have up their sleeves.

Also, while those are impressive numbers for the GM motor, I believe it also requires premium fuel. That might fly in a Cadillac, but it's not likely to in a pickup. So you may see it downrated a bit for truck use.
Actually, if this engine made it to the truck line, it could pick up some HP/TQ. The six speed that GM uses is as high of a torque rated transmission as Ford's 6R80.

GM just went and converted all of the truck engines to non turbo DI for 2013 and increased the HP/TQ significantly. I doubt they need to come out with a new engine this year.

There was a later post covering Dodge's small diesel and high MPG's V-6 gasser. That's all possible with the use of the 8 speed tranny and nothing else.

Ford and GM and jointly developing a 10 speed for the truck and a 9 speed for the sedans and crossovers.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM
Post Fiend

dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I think what Ford better be concerned with is the new V-6 diesel Dodge is coming out end of this year or next in the 1500. Dodge already a new a V-6 with better fuel economy in a 1500 than the EB. Even the 1500 4x4 Ram since 10 with a hemi gets 20 mpg.
Sorry 240hp does not excite me at all, but the 420 tq is good. It will probably get a nice big DPF and urea tank to go along with the cat as well. No thanks.

As for the GMs 3.6l TT in a 1500 truck. Just compare the power difference of the 5.0l in Ford's Mustang vs the 5.0l in the F-150. i would expect the new GM's offering to put out slightly more HP/TQ than the current EB F-150 because I think GM will try to outpower Ford out of the gate for PR reasons.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:58 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition