1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet Another Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 AM
MoJoWales
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another Build Thread

For those who need CliffsNotes:
I bought an 05 F250 XLT SC SB 4X4 5.4 3.73 AT.
I did stuff to it.
I will probably do more stuff to it.

For everyone else, this started as another "tire input wanted" thread but I figured why not just start a build thread?

I'll apologize in advance for the pending gab, and for the emoticons. There will be both.

So, get your yawn on , grab some popcorn, and try to contain your excitement because,,,
it's,,,
another,,,
tire thread,,,
but it's okay,,,
because it's REALLY,,,
a build thread.
/Party mode/ on .

Back story:
I wanted a new $uper Duty, and I wanted to do $tuff to it. In the end I couldn't ju$tify both at the same time so I started looking for a good USED Super Duty.
I've already got heavy towing covered so figuring on primarily being used as a daily driver I ruled out the diesels. Leaving the diesel debate at the door , I targeted a 6.8 or 5.4 with the TorqShift transmission. I preferred cloth so an XLT it would be. I came across a packaged deal that included just such a Super Duty last year so I bought an 05 F250 XLT SC SB 4X4 5.4 3.73 AT. The only option I would have preferred was a long bed but it was time to pull the trigger.
Of only minor note is that I was about to get married and I wanted one last project that answered only to me .
Aside from that last epic delusion, the build has gone great. I'm still under my original budget and more importantly I'm still under my own roof. But delusional or not, I'm running out of time to play.

Disclaimer:
I'm usually conservative... ...form follows function......Really. But this was a project with planned modifications from the get-go. Here is what I've done $o far and I'll add some ()along the way to let you know who's guilty of taking this fools money.

On the suspension side:
PMF adjustable 3 links (Trevor @ Precision Metal Fab was a straight shooter and I recommend him highly), Icon +2.5" progressive springs (gave me +3.15" owing to 5.4 weight), PMF adjustable track bar, Bilstein 5160's, greaseable u-joints, new hub seals, XRF extreme duty ball joints, inner and outer tie-rods, OEM updated axle dust cover/shield, PMF sway bar extensions, PMF 4.5" unitized rear blocks, Redhead steering box (group buy here ), new brake pads, XRF 0 degree ball joint inserts (because Caster is now adjusted with the links ) and whatever else I'm forgetting.

The engine side:
new timing chains/tensioners (Cloyes for their updated tensioner seals, time will tell), OEM cam phasers (upgraded from 05 type), OEM cam phaser solenoids with new housings, Motorcraft one piece plugs, OEM injectors (updated from 05 type), new water pump, updated transmission pan to internal cartridge filter type and kept the in-line-10%-AFTER-reaching-operating-temperature-TP-filter (thank you Mark K.), battery upgrade (Sears Platinum deep cycle 31M), battery mount box from E-series (ambulance conversion takeoff, took some fab), big three wiring upgrade, idler and tensioner, rerouted the exhaust from the muffler back to make clearance for the shock remotes, replaced anything else that needed it along the way, and whatever I'm forgetting.

If you're still reading this you probably have "the fever" and would appreciate that I also:
upgraded to 08 style tow mirrors (A1AutoTony here), 08 OEM tailgate (already needs dent pulled ), 08 style OEM taillights, new OEM steering wheel, interior disassembled cleaned and reconditioned (everything), door seal/tubing mod, dash vent mod with self adhesive felt, added factory brake controller and master cylinder, tinted the side windows, added factory upfitter switches, aftermarket stereo and backup camera (in-progress, Sony XAV-601, Clarion XH 7110, Orion 2125 SX, Stereo Integrity BM mk 12, PPI 356cs), replaced the remote starter and alarm system, front and rear wired for 12,000lb receiver winch (Engo) or large inverter, sound deadened roof doors and floor (roof flashing, closed cell foam), pop-up cargo tie-downs, AVS smoked Aeroskin (not installed yet), color matched door ding strips, pocket flares painted to match (Prestige brand on advice of local Ford Body shop manager), Husky mud flaps, Husky floor mats, bought a CST dual stabilizer and mount to go on AFTER I get the alignment and Caster correct (close but not quite there), billet door and tailgate handles (All Sales), new OEM body mounts (already creaking, you listening Energy suspension?), coated all the shocks and stabilizers with POR-15, primed and painted the Moog tie rods because they instantly rusted whereas XRF didn't , pulled a few dents (friend), painted a few bits (another friend), bought these OEM steps from a member here, checked and repaired if necessary every vacuum and electric connection, removed any aftermarket wiring and restored to factory (added pigtails whenever possible or solder and shrink rap if not), whatever else I'm forgetting.

Unfortunately, I am probably forgetting some stuff, but I digress. The point is, I peeled back the layers until more Ford goodness was staring back at me.

To-do:
Truetrac in the rear, cleaning out the rear evaporation canister, cleaning and coating the rear frame crossovers (only rust on the truck), the anytime fog light mod, the electrical protection idle mod, wiring the mirror heater to the up fitters, build front receiver hitch, and whatever else I'm still forgetting/just don't know I need to do yet .

I took some pictures during the process and I'll add them later.

Here is the truck as it sits now on 285/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Grade AT's:

A big thanks to everyone who has posted up so much information. It really helped as I narrowed down what I was looking for and what I wanted to do. ,

MOJoWales

Old 03-20-2013, 03:17 AM
MoJoWales
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was serious about wanting some feedback on what tires to go with.

I like looks of the factory wheels. Limiting the tire height to 35" or under allows me to get into SOME parking garages. The problem is how the front looks a bit naked to me now with these Goodyears which are nearly new and and book at 32.6" X 11.5". Going to 37" would likely mean new wheels, a re-gear, less parking, so I'm going to try to be satisfied at 35". Classic .
Looks aside, I need to choose a width between 11"-12.5". A daily driver on highways and gravel roads, seeing winters and summers, with once or twice monthly 5'000-10'000 lb trailer duty. It will go off road but nothing severe, mostly farm duty. Owing to the non-extreme Missouri winters I'd like to run year round tires versus seasonal takeoffs. Add in the appearance and I'm a bit stuck on the options.

The factory 18"X8" wheels would cap the sizes around 35X12.50 or 285/75r18. These sizes allow options in Toyo AT II's, Toyo MT's, or Cooper STT's. I wish Cooper made the AT3 or ST Maxx in bigger sizes but no go. The Toyo MT's seem to be good all around but I'd like to hear from people about an aggressive AT like the Toyo ATII's as I can't find much on them. The Coopers have been good to me in the past but I'm leaning towards the Toyo's because they're a bit cheaper right now. I think the MT could go wider without floating on snow or slush but it's late and I don't remember why I'm holding onto this notion.

What say you Enthusiasts? I realize I'm asking for it , err, would appreciate your learned opinions. Also, I may have just hijacked my own thread but I did wait till the second post to do so. This should be interesting.

MOJoWales