Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-19-2013, 10:36 PM
SStampede SStampede is offline
New User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
SStampede is starting off with a positive reputation.
So, I rented a 2012 Extend Cab 4x4 Ecoboost F150, my thoughts and questions....

All I can say is wow, this is a funny truck! I'm alittle disappointed, I can barely here the turbos spool, and can barely here the blow valves. Also, feels like to way detuned from Ford. How is the factory boost set at?
Finally get a truck that can pull to 100, then is stopped by speed limiter.
I own an 03 4.7 QC 4x4 Ram, that will never reach 100mph, and last week I rented an 2013 4.8 QC 4x4 Silverado, which my truck feels faster.
If I had the money I would buy one.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 AM
tseekins's Avatar
tseekins tseekins is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 19,188
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
There is a fella on my route who works in a speed shop. He owns two Buick Grand nationals with a turbo charged. I was speaking to him about the Ecoboost engines the other day.

In his opinion which I happen to respect, he states that Ford has de-tuned the 3.5L substantially below the HP/TQ numbers that it could actually produce straight off the showroom floor with no mods.

He further stated that in order to keep it running good for the long term, you have to keep your foot in it periodically and let her run hard sometimes. Any diesel guy will tell you that.

However, there are some on here who have had some issues with misfiring due largely to moisture buildup in the intercooler. My friend says that it doesn't take much moisture to send these very sensitive electronic systems into a frenzy.

Ford supposedly fixed all this for the 2013 MY and has a fix for earlier build trucks. My 2011 has been flawless after 24K miles.

As for the smooth quiet power, that's the way I like it.
__________________
Tim
SCPO United States Coast Guard Retired
2011 F-150 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 AM
j.grif's Avatar
j.grif j.grif is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: plymouth mi
Posts: 312
j.grif is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.j.grif is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tseekins View Post
There is a fella on my route who works in a speed shop. He owns two Buick Grand nationals with a turbo charged. I was speaking to him about the Ecoboost engines the other day.

In his opinion which I happen to respect, he states that Ford has de-tuned the 3.5L substantially below the HP/TQ numbers that it could actually produce straight off the showroom floor with no mods.

He further stated that in order to keep it running good for the long term, you have to keep your foot in it periodically and let her run hard sometimes. Any diesel guy will tell you that.

However, there are some on here who have had some issues with misfiring due largely to moisture buildup in the intercooler. My friend says that it doesn't take much moisture to send these very sensitive electronic systems into a frenzy.

Ford supposedly fixed all this for the 2013 MY and has a fix for earlier build trucks. My 2011 has been flawless after 24K miles.

As for the smooth quiet power, that's the way I like it.
trouble is, if you run them hard they will get you pulled over, unless of course you have a load on them, seems like every time I stuff the loud peddle, before I know it Im doing way over the speed limit anywhere I go!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 AM
03 SVT VERT 03 SVT VERT is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 410
03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.03 SVT VERT has a good reputation on FTE.
Being a first generation engine, the Ecoboost was obviously designed with future improvements in mind. Most likely, a significant horsepower bump. No manufacturer designs a new engine without taking future improvements into consideration.

If I had to guess, I would say we'll eventually see both 5.0l v8 and V6 ecoboost engines with over 400hp in the F150.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-24-2013, 06:38 AM
tseekins's Avatar
tseekins tseekins is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hampton, Virginia
Posts: 19,188
tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.grif View Post
trouble is, if you run them hard they will get you pulled over, unless of course you have a load on them, seems like every time I stuff the loud peddle, before I know it Im doing way over the speed limit anywhere I go!

Ahh yes, those pesky troopers are on the lookout for my big black truck. I've been very lucky thus far.

I will say this. My truck has the 3.31 axles and she'll roll at 80 mph all day long while only revving 2K and still gets me 19-20 mpg's at 80 on the flats.

Of course 80 MPH doesn't happen much around here since the troopers are diligent, the roads are crowded and I'm getting older and wiser.
__________________
Tim
SCPO United States Coast Guard Retired
2011 F-150 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 PM
EcoboostKev's Avatar
EcoboostKev EcoboostKev is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Meriden,Ct
Posts: 203
EcoboostKev is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is a couple guys i read about making big Hp/Tq #'s with these engines working with Full Race Motorsports on another Ford website. With just a cat back exhaust, tuner and a aftermarket intercooler they are seeing 400+ hp to the wheels and 525lb/ft torque to the wheels!!! Full Race Motorsports also built a F150 Ecoboost for Sema called " Freak-O-Boost" they changed everything on this truck along with exchanging the small twin turbos for a monster single turbo. They just had it on the Dyno the other day. Can't wait to see the #'s!! Hear is there link.

The FReak-O-Boost | Full-Race.com
__________________
2001 F350 Powerstroke
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-26-2013, 01:08 AM
j.grif's Avatar
j.grif j.grif is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: plymouth mi
Posts: 312
j.grif is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.j.grif is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoboostKev View Post
There is a couple guys i read about making big Hp/Tq #'s with these engines working with Full Race Motorsports on another Ford website. With just a cat back exhaust, tuner and a aftermarket intercooler they are seeing 400+ hp to the wheels and 525lb/ft torque to the wheels!!! Full Race Motorsports also built a F150 Ecoboost for Sema called " Freak-O-Boost" they changed everything on this truck along with exchanging the small twin turbos for a monster single turbo. They just had it on the Dyno the other day. Can't wait to see the #'s!! Hear is there link.

The FReak-O-Boost | Full-Race.com
great imformation and video's thanks a lot, these engine's put out a lot of power and are a blast in stock configuration, peaple seem to underestimate them, I can only imagine what a difference this conversion adds to the experience, like has been said before, ford hopefully left some on the table for later improvement because the market sits still for no one!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
jonrjen's Avatar
jonrjen jonrjen is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,019
jonrjen has a great reputation on FTE.jonrjen has a great reputation on FTE.jonrjen has a great reputation on FTE.jonrjen has a great reputation on FTE.
If I recall correct Mike (Five Star) has a SCT program that will add 75HP to the EB. That would put it around 440HP, don't recall what the TQ number went up.

I've only had my EB for 3 days now, and coming from a 2006 F250 reg cab manual transmission, I am impressed with the factory power and torque.
__________________
2013 FX4 F350 Lariat DWR 6.7 PSD Platinum White/Gold
2013 Ford Taurus SHO
2013 Wildcat 353LS 5th wheel
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone in phoenix know of a place with a timing meter?or group rent from icanfixall? gingrass179 Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) 5 08-25-2013 11:31 PM
looking to rent ford f100 jgauci 1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks 15 06-02-2013 10:19 PM
New 2012 F150 Issues...Cold start...towing performance ScottyB 2009+ F150 2 02-18-2013 07:09 PM
2004 f350 no start fordfreak05 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 9 11-01-2012 03:31 PM
1996 302 Rich condition shadams 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 4 10-24-2012 02:16 PM



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup