General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Anyone here use the Coleman suitcase style camp stoves? Lids for grill?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:06 PM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Anyone here use the Coleman suitcase style camp stoves? Lids for grill?

Just curious if anyone else here uses the suitcase style stoves for camp stoves. I have a coleman knock-off from bass pro that has a grill on one side and burner on the other. The only thing it is missing is a lid for the grill..

I bought an aluminum pan in the foil/zip loc bag section at the grocery store but it doesn't quite fit. I'd be curious if anyone has come up with a better solution with minimal fabrication

Old 09-23-2014, 12:40 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
We use a two burner coleman stove. Typically the Wife just brings a cast iron skillet, cast iron griddle and a tea kettle. I also purchased a adapter for the propane tanks to go from the 16oz disposable cans to a 20lb refillable.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:33 AM
KC8QVO
Cargo Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
I have the adapter hose and 20lb tank set up going. It seems to do a good job. We have a more robust grill, may even be a weber I can't remember, at the cabins but haven't used anything but the small cans with it. I may convert that one to a tank also.

I'll be on the hunt for other lid options. Maybe a cake pan? Thing is, though, they have the handles on the sides that stick out. I may have to cut them off. Not much clearance between the grill and the left wind shield.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:25 AM
old farm truck
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cake pan sounds like it would work. The disposable ones come in different sizes. They also have big aluminum trays to line the bottom of your oven. You could try folding it to fit over the grill. I've seen them at the dollar store.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:28 PM
00BlueOvalRanger
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will a lid like this work???

My wife just took a perfectly good electric skillet (that looks like this ^^^) to the Goodwill Store.

You might be able to find one like that and cut/weld or cut/rivet to fit.

??????????

Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
We have a Coleman propane 2 burner stove for when we pack light. We also have a 2 burner "Camp Chef" stove that runs off the 20 lb. propane tank. I normally use it for brewing beer, but it also hits the road for longer trips when we pack a bit more. The latest addition for it was a griddle that takes up 1/2 the space. It rocks for bacon, pancakes, eggs, grilled sandwiches, etc.

For conventional grilling, I prefer charcoal over gas since the charcoal gives a flavor that can't be duplicated with other cooking methods. Some friends introduced us to the Son-of-Hibachi which is a folding hibachi style charcoal grill that packs up nicely. You could cook on one side and flip the other one over if you wanted a "lid."

I think the idea of an electric skillet lid may work for what you are trying to do. If you have the space, think about packing different cooking tools for different tasks.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 929 Likes on 677 Posts
I like the white gas versions. I wonder if a used one of these off CL would fit your needs?

Attached Images