6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Spartan tuner and EGR Delete???'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolen&smoken
Yes. Called them back about this. Any hp added under 500 and it would be fine without wastegate. Took awhile to get their but hopefully that clears this up.
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Horsepower mean nothing when It come's to the need of a waste gate or not. The main reason for a waste gate is to keep the turbo's from over speeding which results in an extreme loss of efficiency, and EGT's going thru the roof. The 6.4 turbo's are out of their efficiency zone at around 40 PSI anyting higher does becomes inefficient horsepower.

As far as the EGR coolers they are junk period nothing better then the 6.0's had, it not a matter of if there going to fail its when there there going to fail and if your one of the not so lucky guys your engine will get scraped from a hydro lock. If your stock its hand down worth the investment to upgrade the EGR coolers to bullet proof cooler the design is simply what ford should have done to begin with. If urn considering a block off delete id just delete the entire cooler its about the work IMO.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:08 PM
spoolen&smoken
Junior User
What are the average EGT's?

Old 04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
I think earlier when I was test driving I was around 800 doing 75 on the 210 tune... I might be wrong I don't remember ... That's with stock intake also

Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

With ambient temp around 90 degrees this is wat i saw with my stock turbos stock tuning
empty crusing 75 down road around 550-600
loaded say pullin a trailer around 17,000 about 700-800 on the flats
loaded say pullin a trailer around 17,000 about 1150-1250 up a 6% grade (1270 is the max i ever saw with stock tuning)

Old 04-07-2013, 08:26 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Horsepower mean nothing when It come's to the need of a waste gate or not. The main reason for a waste gate is to keep the turbo's from over speeding which results in an extreme loss of efficiency, and EGT's going thru the roof. The 6.4 turbo's are out of their efficiency zone at around 40 PSI anyting higher does becomes inefficient horsepower.

As far as the EGR coolers they are junk period nothing better then the 6.0's had, it not a matter of if there going to fail its when there there going to fail and if your one of the not so lucky guys your engine will get scraped from a hydro lock. If your stock its hand down worth the investment to upgrade the EGR coolers to bullet proof cooler the design is simply what ford should have done to begin with. If urn considering a block off delete id just delete the entire cooler its about the work IMO.
Not to pick a fight here but, I've been on this forum and read most every post for 4 years and I do not remember a failed EGR cooler. Of course I may have missed or forgotten a couple, but the problem is far from epidemic like it was with the 6.0s.

I think the prudent course is to keep a close eye on the coolant, if it starts to disappear without an external leak, then you have an EGR problem, correct it then if needed. Otherwise, leave the truck close to stock so you can return it to stock when ready to sell. Modified trucks are hard to sell.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 AM
tgreening
Elder User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
Not to pick a fight here but, I've been on this forum and read most every post for 4 years and I do not remember a failed EGR cooler. Of course I may have missed or forgotten a couple, but the problem is far from epidemic like it was with the 6.0s.

I think the prudent course is to keep a close eye on the coolant, if it starts to disappear without an external leak, then you have an EGR problem, correct it then if needed. Otherwise, leave the truck close to stock so you can return it to stock when ready to sell. Modified trucks are hard to sell.

The shop I use does nothing but powerstrokes 24/7, and they say it's a rare occurrence. Of course as soon as I hit the post button I'll become one of those rare occurrences . Seems to be the way it goes for me. That way my mouth gets to make me look like an idiot AND cost me money, all at the same time. Hehe.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tgreening
Of course as soon as I hit the post button I'll become one of those rare occurrences .
LOL, same for me haha.

I haven't heard of much negative things about 6.4 EGR systems in general, compared to the 6.0.
The EGR coolers must be a hell of a lot tougher, considering the 6.4 does regens as well, and the 6.0 didn't.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:07 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Parkland,

I know you have a spartan and had a question... The cord that comes with the DD, can you use that to update with if you don't have an SD slot on your computer.. If not the. What's the purpose of the cord? Still need to update and prob gonna need to EGR delete tunes here soon too..

Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM
spoolen&smoken
Junior User
Only reason I want to remove the Egr is simply because of what it does. Just don't like the idea of it. Never heard anything bad about it either. Guess its just a personal thing, and can't do anything but help imo.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Only reason I want to remove the Egr is simply because of what it does. Just don't like the idea of it. Never heard anything bad about it either. Guess its just a personal thing, and can't do anything but help imo.
Agreed...!

Old 04-07-2013, 03:04 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
The downside to physically removing it, is that it could be hard or even impossible to sell the truck like that, some places.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:05 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by countryboy73703
Parkland,

I know you have a spartan and had a question... The cord that comes with the DD, can you use that to update with if you don't have an SD slot on your computer.. If not the. What's the purpose of the cord? Still need to update and prob gonna need to EGR delete tunes here soon too..
I forgot all about that cord, I haven't a hot clue what its for lol....

Old 04-07-2013, 03:20 PM
countryboy73703
Senior User
Originally Posted by parkland
I forgot all about that cord, I haven't a hot clue what its for lol....
Lol.. Me either, that's what I'm trying to figure out! HA

Old 04-07-2013, 03:23 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tgreening
Main page, click on forums. Next page click on 6.4 tuning. Done.
I can't sign up, it asks for an engine calibration or something. I never did figure out what it wants.

Then again, I didn't try too hard either.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:20 AM
MTSancho
New User
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
RU sure about that 20 psi during regen? First I've heard of that. But what I want to say is about EGRs on the 6.4L. I've had my 6.4L since may of 09 and moved over here from the 7.3L forum at that time. I have pretty much read every post on the 6.4L forum since then. What I have read about is a lot of owners and others being concerned about the EGR coolers, but, I do not recall very many if any actual EGR cooler failures. I did not own a 6L but from what I've heard they made a habit of EGR problems and I think a lor of the concern for the 6.4L coolers stems from the poor reputation of the 6L. Or maybe thay are failing and people are not telling us.
I've owned a 2008 6.4 for one year (my first diesel truck). In January my DPF went out and needed replacing. My mechanic took a look at the EGR and was was worried about how bad it looked. He showed me where there was evidence that coolant was leaking into it. We decided to replace it. When he got the new EGR from Ford, two things made me raise my eyebrows. First, the local dealer had several in stock (they sell a lot of these??). Second, supposedly the OEM part had been "redesigned" - there was now nowhere to attach the coolant hoses! When we asked them about it, they replied that that indeed was the right part, but Ford had "updated the design." It all seems odd. Is the EGR no longer cooled? I thought that it gets extremely hot even with the cooler. Was I sold the wrong part by Ford/my mechanic?

Quick Reply: Spartan tuner and EGR Delete???'s