Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6 and 2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 PM
New User

db ford owner is starting off with a positive reputation.
3.5 Eco or 5.0 V8 with which rear end

I am looking for a crew cab to haul a 1500 lb boat approx 200 miles 2 times a month. I like the idea of the fuel economy of a 3.5 Eco with a 3.15 rear end ratio, but not sure if I should go with something like a 3.31 or 3.55 rear end. Or if the 5.0 V8 with a 3.31 or 3.55 would work better. If I choose to go with the 3.31 or 3.55 ratios want I pay for it with fewer mpg? I have a 3000 lb tractor that I may need to haul once every couple years. Additionally, this truck will be my ride to work plus general use 300 miles weekly.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Senior User

cschannuth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
3.15's all the way if you decide on the EB. I haul 5 times that weight on occasion and have no problems. I lock out 6th gear and it never shifts out of 5th, even on hills. The fuel mileage will be the best with the 3.15's when not towing.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:28 PM
New User

Thanks for your comments.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Senior User

cschannuth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Follow up...

Took a 600 mile round trip today from central Missouri down through the Ozark hills/mountains to Jonesborough, Arkansas and back to pick up a truck my son bought on Ebay. Going down I just had my 18' flatbed car hauler that weighs in at about 2000 lbs. Got 18.1 mpg calculated with a heavy cross wind. Pulled all the way in 6th gear. On the way back with the Ranger loaded aboard I got 14.2 bucking a strong head wind. The trailer loaded was 5400 lbs. I locked out 6th gear and it towed in 5th even through the hills. It was awesome. There were a lot of slow/passing lanes on the hills for slower traffic that I thought I may need to use but never needed to with all the reserve power. It never got above 2500 rpm's even on the longest steepest grades. Just set the cruise at 66 and it chugged along at 1800 rpm's. Many folks were staring in disbelief as I blew by them up hill. I have an EcoBoost 2WD with 3.15 gears by the way. If it was set up with gears for towing I can't imagine what this thing could do.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:33 AM
New User

Great information. Thanks
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
Senior User

caveman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Glad to hear this. Mine is coming with the 3.31 gears. Was a little worried about towing or if I wanted a little bigger tire. Originally wanted 3.55 but.....
Although the 0-60 or racing off the light may suffer

SOLD LONG AGO:2005 f350, Looney tuned, Edge Insight, Suncoast Ram air Hood, Airraid Intake, MBRP duals,EGR Delete, ICON 4.5" suspension, ARE tonneau, Recon smoked lights. 35 Mud grapplers on 20x10 wheels.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
The 3.31's in my truck are all the gear that most people need if buying an ecoboost.

Remember, the 1996 and older F-150's with the 300 I-6's had 3.08's and still got the job done. The EB with the 3.31's is like a rocket.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Senior User

EcoboostKev is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the 3.73's that came with the max tow pkg and this thing tows remarkably well!! I have absolutely no complaints with this truck.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > EcoBoost (3.5L, 2.0L)