Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.0 start up problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5.0 start up problem

94 f150 2wd 5.0 it is having trouble starting it starts fine in the morning but but once I leave it sitting for awhile it takes a while to start up later in the day I have to push the gas peddle like crazy just to get it going. is it low fuel pressure?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD-or-Die
94 f150 2wd 5.0 it is having trouble starting it starts fine in the morning but but once I leave it sitting for awhile it takes a while to start up later in the day I have to push the gas peddle like crazy just to get it going. is it low fuel pressure?
The only way to know for certain is to get a fuel pressure gauge and test it.

You should not use the gas pedal to start your truck unless it's flooded, and then you should press it all the way to the floor. If you're pumping the gas pedal now to start it, you're not helping the ignition process.

The next time you try to start it, turn the key to the on position, but don't try to start it. Make sure your radio, heater fan, and any other electronics are turned off and listen for the fuel pumps to engage. They should only turn on for a second or 2, then turn off. This primes the fuel lines. Then, without using the gas pedal, try to start it.

You can check the fuel pressure regulator by removing the vacuum line. If you see gas dripping out of the vac line or smell gas, it's bad and needs replacement.

Fuel Injection Technical Library » Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR)

Old 03-16-2013, 11:51 PM
BritonCaleb
New User
I had to do the same thing with my truck until I gave it a tune up. When's the last time you changed spark plugs?

Old 03-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Hursh123
New User
Hi I have a 92 f150 5.0 Will turn over buy won't start. I have fuel an spark?
Here's all that I have replaced.
Pip in distributer.
Computer.
Map sensor.
Timing chain.
An it is in time I lined up the chain marks, an it is also at TDC with the distributer rotor pointing at #1. I don't know what else to do.
Please help

Old 03-17-2013, 07:33 AM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Hursh123
Hi I have a 92 f150 5.0 Will turn over buy won't start. I have fuel an spark?
Here's all that I have replaced.
Pip in distributer.
Computer.
Map sensor.
Timing chain.
An it is in time I lined up the chain marks, an it is also at TDC with the distributer rotor pointing at #1. I don't know what else to do.
Please help
Have you spent any time trying to diagnose the issue or just started replacing parts and hope for the best? Because the latter is a terrible method, and you'll replace just about everything and still have the same problem if you don't take the time to diagnose what's really going on.

Go to this web page and run the test outlined: Fuel Injection Technical Library » How To Run a Self-Test

If that's too difficult, a code reader is only about $30 and worth the investment.

At this point you should start with pulling diagnostic codes and see what codes are stored. Let us know what they are and we'll go from there.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:58 PM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
i have changed the spank plugs and distributor cap 5-10k miles ago, and boy where those plugs dirty

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
Dbgrif91 i tried that and it started sometimes but still not working im gunna look at the vacuum line tomorrow and hopefully get back to ya soon

Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 PM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
Sorry has taken so long to get back to y'all, but so far I have checked for vacuum leaks changed fuel filter checked all spark plugs cleansed the idle air control valve. Haven't done anything else issue has gotten worse truck is now idling intermittently mainly in drive but now in park a little. It'll putter a back fire wtf! Is going on I really need help! Thank you

Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 PM
DBGrif91
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by FORD-or-Die
Sorry has taken so long to get back to y'all, but so far I have checked for vacuum leaks changed fuel filter checked all spark plugs cleansed the idle air control valve. Haven't done anything else issue has gotten worse truck is now idling intermittently mainly in drive but now in park a little. It'll putter a back fire wtf! Is going on I really need help! Thank you
Until you methodically and patiently work your way through the problem, and stop replacing parts at random in hopes of fixing it, you're not going to solve the problem.

Reset the computer by unhooking it for 15 minutes. Then, if possible, take it on a 20 minute drive to get the engine up to operating temp. If that's not possible, at least keep it idling in your driveway to get the temperature up.

THEN CHECK THE CODES!!!

The trouble codes are a starting point. They're not going to give you the exact problem but they will at least point you towards a solution.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:02 PM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
Well I cleaned the idle air control valve and egr it started to run better need to replace one

Old 04-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Pequeaford
Junior User
BDGrif91 is right quit replacing parts until the problem is diagnosed. If there is the correct mix of air and fuel and an ignition source it most of the time it will run. Mine is running rich and throws a code if I let it idle to long. I don't have a code reader but I have a friend that does lookin at it tomorrow. If I rum the rpms up the code clears. I think it's running rich because the exhaust smells a lil funny. Like there's some unburnt fuel in it. I'll let y'all know what my friend says tomorrow.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:14 AM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
Ok iv only plugs fuel filter b/c it was time the distributer cap had a messes up pin so relax I'm not just replacing **** like crazzy I have already ran than codes it pulls up a code for my smog b/c I dont run with one. I cleaned the egr and it started to run better but not good so I need to know how to test it

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Loganc95
New User
You shouldn't have to pump the pedal because of EFI. I have a 94 myself, and it seems to be cold natured

Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 AM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
Ya it stoped pumping and just hold it I realize now pumping is stupid

Old 04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
FORD-or-Die
Junior User
so i cleaned the iac valve it started to run better so i replaced it its running better alot more power but still idling mainly in acceleration. i ran some codes 172(runnning lean) 538(insufficiant rpm change) 632 (overdrive cancel switch)

Quick Reply: 5.0 start up problem