Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM
New User

Mike_Smith460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
mike_smith460
Best battery for the 460 Motor

I just bought a 1996 Ford F250 with the 460 Ci motor in it, only 85 thousand miles and really clean truck. The battery is a older optoma yellow top and it needs replacing, what is the best battery to get for it?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Mechanic By Necessity

Immortal_Ben has a very good reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a very good reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a very good reputation on FTE.Immortal_Ben has a very good reputation on FTE.
Most guys I know want an Optima. You might not need one if you just tool around town. A Walmart special will work fine.

RIP "Lady Grey" - '05 F-150, 5.4l, FX4, 134k, 6" Rancho Lift, 35" Duratracks, Edge Evolution, Ranch Hand front bumper, was Fiancée's truck
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
I have yet to see where a $300 battery is needed for everyday normal use, vs an Interstate or Napa battery for half or less. Maybe I'm missing something. But I just put an Interstate in my 99 Dodge V10 4x4. The Optima was almost $300 vs $150.
Craig
Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 AM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
optima batteries are way over rated. a good old group 65 battery with 800+ cold cranking amps will serve you very well for around $100

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
and give the shirt off his back to a friend.
Steve Price was that kind of person.
Godspeed "window licker", the short bus will never be the same with you gone.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Post Fiend

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
optima batteries are way over rated. a good old group 65 battery with 800+ cold cranking amps will serve you very well for around $100
I agree Tom. If you were running hard off-road racing then maybe the gel batteries would work better. But I have driven thousands of miles off-road & have never owned anything but standard batteries.
Craig
Old 03-17-2013, 03:45 PM
Posting Guru

blue924.9 is starting off with a positive reputation.
consumer reports says diehard batterys are still the best. i dont know if they are the best overall or the best battery for the price though
Old 03-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Senior User

2003EXPY is starting off with a positive reputation.
I checked recently and the place that makes Die Hard batteries also makes Wally World's,and CostCo's and maybe Auto Zone's DuraLast,I got CRS today and am not for certain on the DuraLast.
The first three are top rated for regular lead acid batteries.
I'll find a link to the report I read and post it here.
Great,now I can't find the site.
But,I can tell you way back I used to use Diehards until they got too expensive.
My last three vehicles were all FoMoCo,all had the original installed Motorcraft battery in them.
My first 2004 Mercury Marauder still had the original battery in it when I sold it New Year's Eve of 2009.
My 2002 Crown Vic ex Champaign County,IL Sheriffs unmarked car's original (I has all the service records on the car since new) finally failed in Oct. of 2011.(not bad surviving roughly 10 years in a cop car). I replaced it with a 65 series DuraLast Gold as I couldn't beat the price/performance.
My current 2004 Mercury Marauder still has the originally installed Motorcraft battery in it.I bought the car from the original owner and he was a fanatic on it saving ALL the paperwork including gas receipts,from day 1.
I'd say Motorcraft batteries held up quite well between the nasty winters and high humidity sometimes broiling summers in my non garage kept cars in Chicago.
If I do replace a battery in the future it will probably be one of the first three brands I listed unless I can get a really decent price break on a Motorcraft battery.
2004 DTR Mercury Marauder #2
2005 Lava Red Sunglo Harley Geezer Glide
"The Big Red Bug Killer"

Last edited by 2003EXPY; 03-17-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM
New User

mike_smith460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben View Post
Most guys I know want an Optima. You might not need one if you just tool around town. A Walmart special will work fine.
Thanks, yeah thats what I dont understand, I think Im gonna go with something along the lines of the Interstate megatron plus, looks like a good alround afforable battery for what Im gonna use it for
Old 03-17-2013, 05:41 PM
New User

mike_smith460
Quote:
Originally Posted by kermmydog View Post
I have yet to see where a $300 battery is needed for everyday normal use, vs an Interstate or Napa battery for half or less. Maybe I'm missing something. But I just put an Interstate in my 99 Dodge V10 4x4. The Optima was almost $300 vs $150.
Craig
Oh yeah I agree, deffinatly not worth the 300 if you can get something the same or better for less
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM
New User

mike_smith460
Quote:
Yeah I agree, thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
New User

mike_smith460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EXPY View Post
I checked recently and the place that makes Die Hard batteries also makes Wally World's,and CostCo's and maybe Auto Zone's DuraLast,I got CRS today and am not for certain on the DuraLast.

Okay yeah, If you come across it go ahead and post it here
Old 03-17-2013, 05:58 PM
i ain't rite

tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003EXPY View Post
they are all made by Johnson Controls.
Johnson makes the Motorcraft battery too.
same exact battery you buy in Costco under the Kirkland name. the only difference is the name tag and the price.

rarely in life do you meet a person that will drop everything to help a stranger,
Old 03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Post Fiend

Even several years ago there were only I believe three companies that made ALL the batteries. Johnson Control makes NAPA batteries also. I believe they are the largest & main manufacture of batteries.

Craig
Old 03-17-2013, 06:27 PM
i ain't rite

johnson, excide, and interstate.
last i heard interstate was for sale,and johnson was seriously looking to do a buyout. but i don't know if johnson bought them or not.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Post Fiend

Smile

Quote:
johnson, excide, and interstate.
last i heard interstate was for sale,and johnson was seriously looking to do a buyout. but i don't know if johnson bought them or not.
Thanks Tom sounds like it is still three. I was pretty sure about Excide being one. I knew they were years ago.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks