Advice on lifter inspection/replacing

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Advice on lifter inspection/replacing

I did a tune up yesterday and broke out the old timing light and vacuum gauge. It was kind of fun using the old simple tools to do a tune up. Also after timing the engine it would back fire through the carb so last night while pondering why I remembered you have to pull off the vacuum line to distributor to time it. After I got to work this morning and re timed it the correct way its doing just fine.

Engine has a tapping noise and if I remember correctly 6 cyl kind of always do but its been awhile but I want to either try and find out for sure and if need be replace them. Can you take off the inspection plates on the side and crank the engine and find the noisy lifter that way or will I flood the floor with oil or just remove valve cover that way. Also do these engines have adjustable valves or just torque the rockers down?? I have read there is a special tool to remove the lifters (magnet) are these still available these days?

Old 03-14-2013, 01:33 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
A vacuum gauge is about the best tuning tool you can get! I love using mine for tuning. Since engines are basically a big air pump, the amount of vacuum present can tell you so much.

I wouldn't run the engine at all with the lifter cover off. I snapped a head off of one of the bolts on my lifter cover and thought that since it was just a small hole, and it wasn't the oil pan, but just the side cover, that I could stuff a towel in it and limp the engine down to pick up some parts to get the old bolt out. I couldn't believe the amount of oil that came out of that one little bolt hole!!

I later learned that all the oil from under the valve cover drains back down through the lifter area, so removing that cover would be like running it with a sliced artery.

Having the valve cover off, though, is a different story. You'll get some oil splattering around, it's kind of messy, but it's not too bad. Some people take an old valve cover, cut the top off, and bolt that on the engine while they're inspecting valves.

The adjustable valves vs. torque down depends on the style of rockers/studs you have. I don't know which years are what. Yours may or may not be adjustable. I *think* that if your rocker arm studs are 3/8" all the way from top to bottom (no taper), they're adjustable. If they are 3/8 and then taper down about half way up to 5/16", they're non-adjustable/torque down.

As for a special tool, there is a specific "lifter removal magnet" but you really don't need it. I just use a regular magnet to nab them with. I have one of these:

The stronger the magnet (obviously) the easier it'll be. Just rotate the engine until the lifters rise above the lifter area floor, and then pop'm out.

If your lifters have old caked oil on them, it's going to be difficult to get them out and a magnet may or may not work. When I first did mine, the engine hadn't been well cared for and they were really stuck in there. I had to disassemble each one in-engine, pull the innards of the lifter out, stick my finger in, and slowly work them out of the engine until the block shaved all the caked oil off the sides of the lifter and I could pull it out. Took hours! Hopefully you won't have that issue.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:37 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Oh wow that would suck. Thanks for the info on the side covers also. Old V8s had either the rocker arm assembly or each individual rocker so I didnt know if the 300's had the same set up. Guess I will find out when I dive in.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:52 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
First, what kind or oil change intervals have you maintained? Sometimes a good oil change will stop a light tapping. Some people swear by adding a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to clean and quieten noisey lifters. You might try something like that first. It will cost very little and will harm nothing.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 1986F150six
First, what kind or oil change intervals have you maintained? Sometimes a good oil change will stop a light tapping. Some people swear by adding a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil to clean and quieten noisey lifters. You might try something like that first. It will cost very little and will harm nothing.
I havent had it long at all, As soon as I got it I changed the oil and I will change it again and put a thicker oil in it. I think it has sat up for awhile so maybe the have lost their prime and will quieten up some after i drive it. I have had it since dec and havent driven it 5 miles. I may break down and get the mystery oil and add that as well.