Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 05:42 PM
Junior User

leewiffen is starting off with a positive reputation.
Indicators / turn signals 59 F100

My indicators stopped working...no fuses blown or unplugged wires. Likely cause , flasher unit?
Old 03-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Replace your flasher. Sometimes a good smack to the flasher will break a corrosion layer that can build up on the flashers' contacts if the truck sees infrequent use, and it might start working again. This has happened to me.

Clean up any grounds you can find at the signal lights bulb sockets, take a small wire brush and clean the bulb sockets. Check all bulbs. Finally, suspect the t.s. switch.

Steve
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Senior User

63flareside is starting off with a positive reputation.
Last summer me and my dad found that one of his blinkers stopped working in his 60 f250 4x4. I will post this link to the rebuild thread of his. http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...inker-fix.html It took us about a week but we were working around my dads schedule which means around a half hour each night. The biggest problem we came across was probably trying to get the new light bulb sockets from the parts store. Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Junior User

I changed the flasher...no change. Fiddled with fuses which are on the back of the light switch and got a little action, they were at least causing the indicators to stick on and the electric fuel pump I'd fitted starting to click....which is weird. I am suspecting a bad earth. I recently had a problem where the truck would start no problem, run it down the road, switch off, try and start and it did not have enough power to turn over, so I'd give it a battery boost start and it was fine. As its had a 351W fitted I thought the battery was not man enough so I've fitted a 110 amp battery which gives it a huge kick. I'm going to upgrade the earth cable from the battery to the chassis and then add a strong earth from the chassis to the body. I looked at the cables going to each light unit and they are earthed back to the vehicle somewhere so need to clean up all the bulb holders next. When I checked the flasher by switching the indicator stalk left and right, on one side I had a good voltage, lighting up my tester as I would expect, whereas the other way the tester was very dull....bad earth?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like you have several "Earths", or grounds, that are questionable. Something so simple can cause troubles that at times are hard to find.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Junior User

Sorry fellas...I'll have to learn the American terms...yes grounds. Does anyone know how the truck is normally grounded between the chassis and the cab? And where there is a centralised grounding point where such things as lights and dials are centrally grounded
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
The negative post of the battery "ground", goes to the top mounting bolt of the starter. This provides grounding for the engine. There is also a ground cable that runs from the drivers' side of the engine where the bell housing attaches to the firewall below the brake master cylinder but more towards the center of the firewall. This gives you a solid grounding path from the battery's negative post thru the engine and to the cab. All connections must be free of rust and securely tightened. You may have more on your truck but these two are essential.
Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM
Junior User

Still struggling to solve this problem.....I'm starting to suspect the turn signal stalk on the steering column. Anyone come across this causing problems?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM
Gone But Not Forgotten

ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.ibuzzard has a great reputation on FTE.
Lee, there is not a central grounding, or earthing point for the various electrical loads of the truck, most U.S. vehicles did not have this. Do/did U.K,spec vehicles do this? And, if they did, based on the history of Lucas Electrics, The Prince of Darkness, I would immediately rip my user-installed one out! LOL!

When I installed an apostate GM one-wire alternator (for which, by-the- way, I am utterly remorseful and contrite for having sinned and intend to eventually change to Ford. I live with this shame)and auxiliary fuse block for additional circuits for stereo, driving lights, loud horns, camper lights, etc. , I added my own central ground buss, and it has been nice. You might want to do that.

If you can, clean up any and all earths/ grounds that you can find, and you can even add a second redundant one for those accessories giving you problems. I had to do this for the NOS, period correct driving lights that kept giving me problems. After screwing around with their poor , undersized, and corroded ground wire, I cut it off, drilled the rivet, and installed a larger one back to by ground point instead of to the chassis. Problem solved.

I would not replace the TS switch till you have located and definitely corrected or re grounded all the bulb sockets and or light housings. I see you have done this. Replace, or add another of the main ground that ▀purredon spoke of in that other thread. At least, clean it up reall well. It could be the switch.
Anthony...Hey Kevin....Silly Boy...Hey John...Hey Dan... WOW! OYE!...OH
CRAP...just for giggles...GREAT JOB...Nice Work Tard!...takes a "womans
touch"...TeeHee...you jerks."
Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks

Tags
flasher unit, indicators