Is the dealer trying to screw me? Gauge Cluster / Overhead console

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:56 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the dealer trying to screw me? Gauge Cluster / Overhead console

2003 7.3 F250 Lariat.

Bought truck in Texas, drive it 2100 miles home to Oregon.

My overhead console worked perfectly during the entire trip home and the whole time I've had the truck since (about 3 weeks). The display wasn't even dim.

My 4x4 indicator lights were not coming on when the 4x4 system was engaged. I took it to my local Ford dealer. They diagnosed the problem as a bad gauge cluster.

Had them replace cluster, $791.00 later, I now have working 4x4 indicator lights. I picked the truck up from them, drove it home, and noticed my overhead console was not coming on. Acted like it had no power.

I called the dealer that same day and told them about it. Dealer said it was probably a programing issue and to bring it back after the weekend.

I dropped it off on Monday. Dealer said they couldn't get the overhead console to work with my new cluster they replaced, but they hooked up my old cluster they still had and the overhead console worked fine. Dealer said the new cluster was probably bad. They said they would order a new one, would be in next day.

Next day comes, dealer calls, says they forgot to order the cluster, and it'll be in today.

Just got off the phone with dealer. Now they are saying my overhead console just suddenly went bad and they can no longer get it to work with the new cluster or my old one. They say no power is coming out of it, it is a coincidence and not their fault.

Sounds fishy to me. I am waiting to hear back from their service manager. I think they should replace my overhead console.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:07 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i say there trying to screw you again. i have never seen a cluster go bad, and the over heads have a problem with the coming loss and not working.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by snakedoc
i say there trying to screw you again. i have never seen a cluster go bad, and the over heads have a problem with the coming loss and not working.
After the new cluster my 4x4 lights work, so I think there was a problem with my old cluster.

What do you mean "coming loss and not working"

Old 03-13-2013, 03:13 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 90pioneer
After the new cluster my 4x4 lights work, so I think there was a problem with my old cluster.

What do you mean "coming loss and not working"
Components on the pcb board come loose or loose connection due to cold solder joints. Generally just reflowing all the connections on the board fixes the problem.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
The overhead consoles do die suddenly, nothing unusual there. I don't think the dealer was trying to screw ya that time. I got mine fixed by Tanin a few weeks ago for $23 total cost.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM
90pioneer
Laughing Gas
Well some **** went down at the Ford dealer!

I spoke with the service manager, explained my side of the situation. It worked when I dropped it off, was not working once I picked it up, brought it back to dealer, they said it was faulty cluster and tested it with my old one and it worked. The service manager denied that it ever worked and fabricated a story saying one of their techs tried to see what my average fuel mileage was when I first brought it in it never worked. This is after they told me they didn't remember if it worked or not when I first brought it in.

He "graciously" offered to pay 50% of the repair. I explained my point of view, that it worked, they tested it with the old cluster, still worked, and now it magically doesn't even after they ordered a second cluster. I told him if 50% of $385.00 is worth bad reviews to them then so be it, and declined his offer.

The service manager then said he had my name, address, and a website development team and if I post any bad reviews they will create a website and say bad things about me. HOW CRAZY IS THAT?

Then he told me that their dealership no longer wants me as a customer and gave me two hours to pick up my vehicle or they will have it towed off the lot. I was like WTF.

Not wanting my truck towed, I rush down there in my other car since I couldn't get a ride. Park it two blocks away, walk into dealer lot. Didn't want my car towed either.

So I go inside, find out the dealership owner's contact information, and call her. Explain what happened. She said the service manager was WAY out of line and has no authority to say they don't want me as a customer or have my truck towed. Said she will talk to him and get back with me.

15 minutes later, call from the service manager, apologizes, and they are going to replace my overhead console at no cost to me. Will call me when the part is in.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Good deal! Maybe service man was having a bad day or whatever, shouldn't be like that towards customers. Glad it worked out for you!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Well played!

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
WTF is right! I would still give them bad reviews, until they fire that service manager. I think these franchise dealerships, (and even the manufacturers themselves) need to take a closer look at who they hire for this particular position. One situation like that with a bad service manager can turn a customer away from an entire brand for life.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
KH85
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW!!! Im glad to hear they are going to fix it buuuut.....that kinda of behavior is absolutly unacceptable!! These stories along with the few run ins ive had are the reason I will not go to a Dealership unless I absolutly have to. It drives me nuts the way they treat people in there, like your a lower class of person than they are and you dont know sh**!!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Excursion Gary
Excursion's 4ever!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Way to stand your ground, calling the owner was a really smart move. Threatening you was a stupid move on the service managers part. He get's "chump" marks for that move, bad day or not. Hope all works out for you!