1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need some info before I pick her up

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
declinetostate
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some info before I pick her up

I have a 48 f6 that the seller has been storing over the winter. The truck is an hour or so away from me and I'm planning on going up there this Friday to try and get it started. The truck has a 226 inline in it. The seller said it runs but there was no battery so I didn't get to check. Anyway here are my questions. I want to get her started so I can get her on a trailer without a winch. I am thinking of bypassing the gas tank and rigging up a small container with some fuel line to the carb. Can someone tell me what size fuel line I would need to run from my tank to the carb? I don't have any experience with these trucks so any input would be great. What are the best procedures to take to get one of these trucks started? I'm also having a hard time trying to locate a high enough gvw rated trailer to rent. The truck is a dump truck with a 156" wheelbase. I'm sure it's pretty heavy so I'm looking for a 10,000lb rated bumper pull trailer. I live in Parker Colorado so if anyone local might know where I can rent one of these trailers that would be great. I'm thinking the truck could be up to 7500lb with the bed. If I can't get it started and need to buy a winch what would be the smallest usable rating? I'm trying to do this on the cheap. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:41 PM
douglpr42
Tuned
Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
sometimes trying to do things on the cheap becomes a nightmare . why not try and find contractor or farmer in the area with a truck and trailer they move a backhoe with? you need a fairly big unit to tow a truck that size.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:22 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hooking up a "temporary tank" is a tricky job. The carb I think takes a 3/8" line. You could just buy some rubber fuel line and a couple of clamps and go from there. I would suggest hooking it up to the existing fuel pump. If the pump doesn't work, hook it directly into the carb. You'll have to have your tank above the carb in that situation for the gas to get to the carb by gravity. The best advice I can give you is to find a professional who knows how to transport it. I will be cheaper in the long run. You'll have get a brand new 6volt battery and you may drain it before or if it starts. Doing things on the cheap is great as long as you don't get hurt. I mean physically. That's a lot of weight. It can bite you real quick. Good luck

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 124 Likes on 54 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase! We needs pics! Before anything else is said, find a winch or a come-along and take it with you--trust me, Murphy's law loves to wreak havoc in situations like this. And if you've already purchased the truck (i.e. no going back), I'd personally just load it as-is and then try to get it running when I got home. That seller could get "anxious" and try to cob something up to get you and the truck on the road ASAP. Not trying to be devil's advocate--just speaking from experience with various things like this.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you can't find a suitable trailer, consider contracting at least a medium duty wrecker, dropping the driveshaft and having it towed.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM
declinetostate
Freshman User
Thanks for the input. I found a local place that rents an 18' 10,000 lb trailer for 75 dollars a day. The guy said it's 78" inside the fenders. One dual is already removed so worst case is to take off the other to get her centered. The dump ends at the rear of the frame so it won't hang off the back too much. I have a 3/4 ton dodge diesel so I'm not worried there. Now that I found a trailer rated high enough I think I should be fine. I'll take it slow and steady. I want to do it cheap but that doesn't mean I'm cheap. I just would like to avoid purchasing a winch that would get very little use.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by declinetostate
Thanks for the input. I found a local place that rents an 18' 10,000 lb trailer for 75 dollars a day. The guy said it's 78" inside the fenders. One dual is already removed so worst case is to take off the other to get her centered. The dump ends at the rear of the frame so it won't hang off the back too much. I have a 3/4 ton dodge diesel so I'm not worried there. Now that I found a trailer rated high enough I think I should be fine. I'll take it slow and steady. I want to do it cheap but that doesn't mean I'm cheap. I just would like to avoid purchasing a winch that would get very little use.
You'll be fine with that trailer and that truck. But, honestly, at least find a neighbor or friend who has a manual come-along, and take it with you.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought an F-6 last fall. I looked into renting a trailer because I have my F-100 on mine and didn't want to take it off yet. Also, my trailer has wheel wells which meant I would have had to pull the outer wheels off the rear. I couldn't find anything to rent that would have handled it. U-Haul only had something I might consider moving a VW Bug with. The local rental yard had a trailer that was too short. An industrial yard did have one, but wouldn't rent unless you were a bonded business. Fortunately I had a friend with a flatbed gooseneck trailer that was going to bid a job near where the truck was so I covered his fuel and he brought it home for me. So my advice is either find a suitable flatbed or hire a tow company. The "cheap" will bite you in the ***.

As to loading, mine was a runner so we just drove it up. You'll need a good winch, not the cheap one they have at a discount auto store. I burned one of those up trying to get my F-100 on a trailer. Come-a-longs and heavy chain work great. You'll need to block the wheels as you go for safety and to unhook and run out the come-a-long as it won't do the job with one hook.

I had to scale mine when I bought some hay, it tared at 6110.

It appears I took too long looking for that tare slip. Good on you for finding a trailer! Like Doc said, take the come-a-long and log chain.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
declinetostate
Freshman User
How painful are come alongs to use? I have a friend coming with me to try to get her started. Is there a benefit to have two come alongs at the same time or should we take turns on a single? I just don't want to kill ourselves and take an hour getting the truck on the trailer.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by declinetostate
How painful are come alongs to use? I have a friend coming with me to try to get her started. Is there a benefit to have two come alongs at the same time or should we take turns on a single? I just don't want to kill ourselves and take an hour getting the truck on the trailer.
You just hook it up and crank away. Shouldn't take more than a minute or two. One will do the job unless you're trying to pull it straight up a big hill or something. Pretty much anybody who has used a come-along before can show you how. Also take some chains, binders, and/or some big 3 inch straps to bind it down to the trailer. If you have a friend who hauls cars, tractors, etc. regularly, take him along and buy his lunch. You'll not regret it.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:08 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come-a-longs I've used aren't long enough to reach from the front of a trailer to the front of the truck. So I've always hooked up the come-a-long to the trailer, run it out as far as I could, then use a log chain to make up the difference. As I pull it up onto the trailer I have someone keep chocks behind the wheels in case something goes wrong. When I've pulled the come-a-long up as far as it will go, chocks are secured and the come-a-long is run back out and the party goes on. Be aware that once the truck is up on the trailer it may roll forward towards the come-a-long, so the people chocking wheels will need to be ready to throw a block in front of the wheels. It goes surprisingly well, be safety conscious and nobody should get killed. I'd give yourself an hour, but it shouldn't take that long.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:46 PM
declinetostate
Freshman User
A final thanks! The previous owner has a tractor and offered to help load the truck for me. Now all the things I've been dreading seem to be working out. The truck is pretty rough but I got it in trade for a couple guns I haven't been using so I'm pretty happy. I'll get some pictures of it up here when I finally get it to the storage place(thanks HOA). I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions to come.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I have never seen a bumper hitch that is rated for the amount of weight you're planning to tow. 3500 lbs is the norm. An aftermarket step-bumper might be rated higher. You really need a Class IV setup (12,000 lbs), Class III tops out at 6,000.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
My 3/4 ton truck has a Class IV hitch. I think that's pretty much the standard for any heavy duty truck of that class nowadays.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Rojak
Posting Guru
Maybe these are simple reminders but they are good ones....

Make sure you've got the load on the trailer distributed properly. We tried to haul my brother-in-laws Corvair back home on a regular 16' flatbed trailer several years ago and had the car (engine in rear) facing the wrong way. Too much weight on the back of the trailer about took us off the road at 45 miles per hour. I won't forget that lesson. Also, I always wrap an old towel around the chain in case it snaps. If someone gets whipped in the head with the chain it is lights out.

Congrats and good luck. Will be looking forward to the pics...

Quick Reply: Need some info before I pick her up