1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Thinking of going to the dark side for...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thinking of going to the dark side for...

the Ram 1500 diesel in 2014. If I make the move, I was wondering what a fair price to ask for my truck (early 1999 F350 Lariat CCLB) would be? Notable change was a John Wood transmission about 15k miles ago, gauges (EGT, boost, tranny temp, fuel pressure), 40 hp tow DP PCM, two extra commercial Michelin tires, class 5 hitch, fifth-wheel hitch...140k miles. KBB has it at about $12k...this sound right to you?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's an extremely clean truck with very low mileage. I don't find 12k unreasonable at all.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM
twg1966
Trying to Gain Knowledge

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think I will part with my beloved 7.3, but the dodge half-ton with a diesel is very appealing to me.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
I'm debating either selling our 2009 VW TDI or my truck (probably the truck though). The Ram 1500 would become mom's daily driver...it would have to be a 4x4 (I don't know if they will offer the diesel/8-speed auto with 4wd though). Throw a canopy on that Ram and it would really get the fuel mileage.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Hmmm, a Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Dually with a 7.3 engine maintained by a member of FTE in exchange for a 2014 1/2 ton Ram. Sounds like a straight across trade or perhaps the dealer needs to throw in some cash for the deal to make sense.

While I agree that Ram has come a long way in the quality and overall fit and finish department, I can't see any practical reason for a diesel engine in a half ton truck. That V6 is really going to suffer with the DPF and DEF after treatments. A direct injected dual turbo gas engine would be far more reliable IMO. Have you driven the EcoBoost 150 trucks yet? If you would like, let me know when you are going to be in my area next and I'll arrange for you to drive our V6 Power Stroke so you can get an idea what the Ram offering might be like.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Shake-N-Bake
Hmmm, a Ford Super Duty Crew Cab Dually with a 7.3 engine maintained by a member of FTE in exchange for a 2014 1/2 ton Ram. Sounds like a straight across trade or perhaps the dealer needs to throw in some cash for the deal to make sense.

While I agree that Ram has come a long way in the quality and overall fit and finish department, I can't see any practical reason for a diesel engine in a half ton truck. That V6 is really going to suffer with the DPF and DEF after treatments. A direct injected dual turbo gas engine would be far more reliable IMO. Have you driven the EcoBoost 150 trucks yet? If you would like, let me know when you are going to be in my area next and I'll arrange for you to drive our V6 Power Stroke so you can get an idea what the Ram offering might be like.
Thanks Greg, but I can't go gasoline (that is really the Dark Side). I drive a truck, occasionally, with DEF and DPF and no problems except added cost. I remember when I ordered my VW TDI, everyone said the same thing. I do wish it wasn't a V configuration, but rather a straight setup. The 2014 Ram van will be offering an I-4, 3-liter diesel. As I drive my truck less for business, it just doesn't seem like I should keep this 15 year old truck as I enter my retirement years. I'm pretty much down to just contract driving other peoples truck anymore. Season starts March 20th for me!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All new,V-6, Italian made diesel engine.

Feeling lucky, huh?

I'll offer you $4000 for that 15 year old cornbinder, just because I feel sorry for you if you really buy a Ram.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by clux
All new,V-6, Italian made diesel engine.

Feeling lucky, huh?

I'll offer you $4000 for that 15 year old cornbinder, just because I feel sorry for you if you really buy a Ram.
Thank you for your generous offer !

Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe I can talk my girlfriend into driving Tex (she said no to an Ex) and I'll upgrade to older brother Dually with a JW... Hmmmmmm...

Old 02-28-2013, 03:50 PM
kx450frider617
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you sell the truck in CA you will get a premium price. Immaculate 7.3's are all around $20k in socal. All these truck have around 100k miles but are nearly perfect condition.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Thanks Greg, but I can't go gasoline (that is really the Dark Side). ...
Ah-ha...Gotcha!
So, can I have your Nova then?
Seriously though....direct injected gasoline engines is what all modern engines aspire to be eventually. Manufacturers are reinventing old ideas again since the new technology makes things possible....such as 11 or even 12 to 1 compression ratios. The EcoBoost is an excellent engine for towing but I feel the 1/2 ton chassis isn't quite up to the task for loads in excess of 8000 lbs or so...

... I drive a truck, occasionally, with DEF and DPF and no problems except added cost. ...
Totally agree.
However, the larger trucks are 100% duty cycle so DPF and DEF are much less of an issue. I would urge caution when purchasing a truck with similar emission technology that might see limited use.

... The 2014 Ram van will be offering an I-4, 3-liter diesel. ...
My mistake. I thought I read it was a V6 engine.
The Ford Transit has an inline diesel coming out soon. I don't remember if it's a 4 or 5 cylinder but it might make it's way into the F-150 lineup someday.

.. 15 year old truck as I enter my retirement years. ...
I hear what you are saying but as far as reliability goes, I think your existing truck is a pretty good bet.

On Tuesday we sent a crew to Peridot AZ (near San Carlos) to dig a couple of holes, set some poles in concrete and install a wall sign. The drive to get there goes due East through Globe AZ. The stretch of road between Superior and Globe is a truck killer, nothing but steep grades through a series of mountain passes. I am sure you know the type of road that I am talking about.

At any rate, our crews had to take two trucks....a Digger truck and a Bucket truck. The guys chose to take our oldest bucket truck that we have in our local fleet...a '99 F450 7.3 diesel. They passed on either one of our 2007 6.0 liter F-550 trucks or even our brand new 2012 Freightliner. I think it says a lot about the 7.3/SD combo when a worker perceives a 14 year old truck to be more reliable than something that is nearly brand new.

Here in Phoenix, similar crew cab duallies in great condition are listed for $10k-$13k range from private sellers. Yours looks really nice so I would say you can ask for a price towards the higher end of that range.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 PM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Neal, buy what ever you want, but don't let that truck go. Save your pennys for another year or so. No way you can ever replace that with something better. The new trucks are going to be a headache. Not only that, you'll have to join another forum. Your truck is sweet, I know your going to regret it if you let it go. I'm leaving mine in my will.
Jim.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Originally Posted by stinson 108-1
I'm leaving mine in my will.
If you need my full name or SSN or anything just send me a PM. I hate for the lawyer to be confused on who you want to leave it to

Old 02-28-2013, 04:12 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Probably due to his advanced age, but whatever the reason obviously Neal's cognitive abilities are declining fast.

I'm hoping to buy that 40 year old POS Nova for a few hundred buck and a bottle of Geritol.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by clux
Probably due to his advanced age, but whatever the reason obviously Neal's cognitive abilities are declining fast.

I'm hoping to buy that 40 year old POS Nova for a few hundred buck and a bottle of Geritol.
Now wait a minute ...I am going to be putting the Nova on the market sooner, rather than later. I just don't enjoy it as much as I once did. Lust over it, if you must...please wipe chin before leaving premises!

Quick Reply: Thinking of going to the dark side for...