6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Need to rebuild/replace FICM and a couple injectors - what do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need to rebuild/replace FICM and a couple injectors - what do you recommend?

Hey guys, truck is starting tear-down right now. Before it was torn down I had my tech check out the FICM and injectors as I figured they were starting to have an issue.

I just got off the phone with Ed at FICMRepair.com and most likely will be sending my module in to him to get it rebuilt with the premium service. He highly recommended doing the Atlas 40 tune on the FICM while it was there, but I am also debating getting the Gryphon FICM tuner as I would like to roll back my PCM as well to an earlier strategy. I'm kind of wanting to keep the truck flexible, but at the same time being able to play with it would be nice. I know Swamp's or BPD are available as well, but I'm not interested in the voltage upgrades (seems to not be a good idea with a module that already has heat problems) and they're about double the price of Ed. It seems like with BPD you're just paying for the fancy case and the redundant (IMO useless) power supplies. The redundant power supplies don't seem to make sense as you have no way of telling if the main one failed or not and at that point you've got a gimped FICM anyways.

As far as injectors go I'm debating just putting Ford remans in as I get them for around 225 a piece with no core charge. I need cylinder 4 and 7. My question is what are my options for a truck that tows? From what I've read you don't want hot injectors in a truck that's going to tow heavy as it will overfuel. Would my best bet just be stock sized injectors? Is there a better/cheaper place to get them from besides Ford?

Thanks guys.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
No core charge..... Can I talk you out of one of the dead ones?
I want to disassemble one and take photos to post.

Sean

Note to Johnny5 : No on the "No disassemble"

Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
That's a real steal on Ford reman's and no core charge is that much better. ALL I will ever recommend is Motorcraft injectors. PERIOD. If you tow then you REALLY have no reason for bigger injectors. All you're asking for is problems that you don't want or need.

I think you're spot on going with Ed on the FICM repair and the Atlas 40 tune. The BPD is a great unit and works really really well. They tested it extensively before going to market with it, but it's not something you really need.

Remember this: The SD was designed as a tow rig/work truck and works really well for those things if it's properly maintained. Just look at run6.0run's truck as an example.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Alright, so for a truck that tows you want stock sized injectors, correct? I was just trying to figure out if I should upgrade them or not or if it's a better idea to leave them stock.

As far as the FICM goes Ed seems to be the best option. The BPD unit is about double the price and it seems like what you're mostly paying for is the case. Also, from what Ed had said about the voltage upgrades it's not a good idea nor is it needed. I would think if the system is designed for 48v then that's what it should run on. Besides, there's no good way to monitor the upgraded voltage FICM's. I'm just trying to decide if I should just have Ed do the Atlas 40 tune or if I should get the Gryphon FICM tuner so I can also do rollbacks.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:56 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Ended up going with Ed's FICM repair and took the premium service with 2 year warranty. I'm basically just banking on the fact the upgraded FICM won't die after 2 years since Ed offers the lifetime warranty for another 100 dollars. Also, I'll most likely just order the Gryphon FICM tuner so I can swap tunes and also do a PCM rollback. The strategy on my FICM is the one that has the mild induction heating, so it's not the FICM killer strategy. Also, I ended up going with the Ford injectors. A lot of the aftermarket ones don't have a warranty on them, and the core charge is outrageous. I figure I'll play it safe and stick with the stock size, especially for when I'm going to be towing the car trailer.