1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking sound from Auto Hub lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 10:45 AM
CrewCabCruiser
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 ford powerstroke 4x4 with a clicking sound coming from the front left hub lock area. It seems to click quicker as the rotation of the tire speeds up. I originally thought it was a rock stuck in the tread of the tire.....UNTIL I got so annoyed by the sound that I removed the two little rocks, and discovered that it still did this. It tends to do this more when the wheels are turned to the right. Any thoughts on what this may be, and is it an easy fix....the truck had an extended warranty plan that my buddy had when he bought it...but I dont know if it automatically transfers to me. Any thoughts on either would be appreciated.....before I get stuck in 2wd at the dealer shop spinning my wheels about warranty work. By the way, I don't think the truck has been in 4x4 more than a dozen or so times total....and the sound is the same if the hubs are locked in, either manually or by the automatic switch on the dash.
Thanks for your time folks....great info out there.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:32 AM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually the clicking is caused by a hub that's not unlocking properly. I'm suprised that it's making the noise with the hubs locked in also. Are you positive that it makes the same sound with the hubs locked in manually?

Also the warranty usually has to be transfered within a time limit and for a fee. At least mine didn't automatically transfer.

Old 06-02-2003, 11:39 AM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Thanks for the quick reply but could you elaborate on the time frame and fee for the transfer....my uh..hmm. toyota didnt require this, and I fear I waited to long. As for the sound, it is the same, my ear was running alongside it as my wife drove, it. Additionally I forgot to mention, it doesnt seem to do it as much or loud in reverse. It sounds exactly like a rock in the tread, but I know it isnt as I removed them all and drove on a rock free parking lot. Man I feel dumb!! Any idea on how to remove the hub, I know there's a snap ring but after that, does it pull straight out?
Thanks, Matt

Old 06-02-2003, 02:41 PM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Just talked to FORD's extended plans service and they said it's transferable for $50 and they need a letter fromt he previous owner that purchased the extended plan releasing rights to it to the new owner. Well that makes me happy but the ticking sound now does it to the left since I went to the nearby dealership and talked to the service desk......(NO HELP THERE)

Old 06-02-2003, 03:03 PM
RichCT
Senior User

Are you ssure there's not a nail or screw stuck in the tire that you didn't notice when you were checking for rocks. I would remove each front tire and thoroughly check the tread are for any foriegn objects.

-Rich

Old 06-02-2003, 03:08 PM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Unfortunately I did search with no luck. I was a tire repairman when I got out of high school for 3 years. That was the first thing I searched for.. I'm thinking of the hub lock, or possibly the wheel bearings in the front. The truck has a 6" lift and sports either 35" tires on 16 rims or 37" tires on 17" rims (currently on the truck now), and this could have some repercussions on the bearings...just hoped someone else had the misfortune I did, but with happy results of something that sucks such as this. I'll have to send it in, or tear it down myself if they won't warranty it.
Thanks for the thought....made sense to me, thats why I looked first thing.

Old 06-02-2003, 03:16 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru

You never did answer whether or not you are sure it makes the same sound with the hubs locked in manually.

Old 06-02-2003, 03:19 PM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Yes it is the same whether locked in or not, manually or through the switch, 2wd or 4wd, makes the same sound, speeds up as you go faster, makes noise least when wheels are straight, loudest when to the right.
Thanks for your time

Old 06-02-2003, 03:33 PM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Hey Rich, your truck is a twin to mine, almost looks the same except for the suspension on mine is springs rather than just the blocks, and I have triple shocks up front and two for the steering stablizer. But the tires you have, are currently in my garage quietly awaiting their return for winter, While the 37's are on with the hub from Hell, hopefully continuing to hold them on until fixed later this week...I HOPE

Old 06-02-2003, 03:53 PM
RichCT
Senior User

Cool! Is your's a Skyjacker lift kit? Good luck with your hub issue!!! Keep us updated on what happens. I have since got rid of the rear blocks and replaced them with 6" springs!

So you run 37's in the summer and 35's in the winter??? Which do you like better? Do the 37's rub at all?

-Rich

Old 06-02-2003, 04:04 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru

Ok one final try to avoid hub disassembly. Are your axles turning when this noise is present. I mean look at them and visually make sure that the hubs have unlocked and the t-case is in 2wd. If they are then it might be from the axle u-joints. If not then I'm thinking bearing.

How long has it been doing this? If it's been more than a few days I would think the bearing would be totally wasted and flopping around by now. Have you jacked it up to check for play in the bearing.

The bit about it being worse when turning makes it sound like an axle u-joint. If one of the hubs is sticking and staying locked in this could be the case.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:15 PM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Yeah I did check to see if they were turning and what you say makes perfect sense to me, however two things....I did have a hard time disengaging from 4wd today, and when I did, the u-joints in the front werent turning to indicate it to be locked in regardless of the lights on the dash which I never trust anyways. Yesterday, when I first discovered it however, the u-joints weren't turning as they shouldn't in 2wd. I'm thinking now you have a point in the bearings only because, it shouldn't be making any noise in 2wd, with the stuff not engaged (checked visually). The other only thing might be the spring in the hub lock assembly. I gave the tire, the shake wiggle top to bottom, side to side etc...but no looseness, no sounds nada...I tried that with the tire off as well...nothing.....the only time I can get it to make noise is with the weight on it, and it rolling. I even shut off the motor....coasted without the noise maker running and it still clicks. I dont advise this for obvious reasons, but if it went weird, i would have landed in hole 5 of the local golf course undamaged LOL. But I know the greenskeeper would have come out shooting!
Once again thanks for your time
Matt
Ps. Ill keep you updated when I discover the problem, as well as the fix.

Old 06-02-2003, 06:06 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru

Wow this has me baffled. We have ruled out the axle u-joints because it makes the noise when they aren't turning (Checked visually).

The hub clicking is usually caused by the hub being partially engaged and clicking on the splines of the axle stub shaft. We have ruled this out because they wouldn't do this when it is fully locked in. Also these are both ruled out because weight shouldn't be a factor for either.

The bearing should be totally wasted by now if it is the culprit. In my experience you have maybe 20 miles from when they start making noise before they're so bad the tire will come completely off. That's limping down the shoulder.

Is there anything on the wheel like a weight that could be hitting on the caliper. You say it doesn't make the noise when the wheel's off. (Actually you said when there's no weight I think, but I'm assuming you had the wheel off when you jacked it up so you could look around) Do you have wide wheels on it that could be hitting on the tie rod ends? I know mine only have about 1/8 inch clearance if that.

Next question. Do your center caps fit tight. Mine didn't when I got them and they'd rattle around in the center of the wheel. I had to bend the tabs on them out a little so they'd be clamped between the wheel and rotor. That's a different sound though. More tinny sounding.

Just some more ideas.

Old 06-02-2003, 10:28 PM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While jacked up with the wheel on grab the tire and wheel and try to move in and out .

This truck being a diesel ,its common for the wheel bearings to go bad on diesels due to the extra weight of the engine.

Also I've heard them click before and not disintegrate ,They just get real rough and sticky turning .

have you taken the caliper off and spun the hub and bearing ***.by hand ?

Rich

Old 06-02-2003, 11:54 PM
CrewCabCruiser
New User

Well I tried the wiggle on day one to know avail....tried looking for stuff rubbing........nothing...tried cussing at it gently..NOTHING, unfortunately the obvious isnt working but rather than me tearing into it...voiding some mysterious Ford warranty I can't comprehend, nor can the dealerships...(seriously...nobody completely understands the process of transferring the warranty other than the $50 dollar part0, I have decided to let them have first crack at disassembling it first so they dont accuse me of some monster garage type actions. If they tell me however that this is not covered....ie hub locks, or wheel bearings, then I will do the work myself. Either way I really appreciate all of your time you guys put in for me...seriously. I think that you are on to something forty...but I think I best leave it to them for first stab so as not to ruin any chances I may have of them fixing it for free. WE SHALL SEE! I just dont understand, unless there bearings are crap...which I read they are today, how at 49 thousand miles they could be trashed. They dont feel or sound weird...so I am confused....the only thing I dont know or completely understand is the hub locks...which I still think are the underlying problem....it just doesn't feel bearing-ish.....done that job to many times on other cars, trucks ...and horse trailers now.

Thanks for your time. and I welcome all input on the matter and plan to post the results of this UPSETTING issue.

Quick Reply: Clicking sound from Auto Hub lock