6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

leaking oil/engine light

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 03:36 PM
Edogsf350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can just change the oil filter... It's easy to do and is very accessible.
I'm sure there is a write up on FICM removal in the tech. Section .
The search function is a invaluable tool. Im sure any question asked will be answered

Old 03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Piolet
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lauraj
I am more concernedabout the oil leak. Ifthey are looking under the turbo, what are the possibilities?
Without pictures it'll be tough to help you. There's a number of things on this engine that if they leak can result in oil dripping toward the rear of the engine.

You'll have to crawl over it and under it and snap loads of photos. Post them up here. The next stage is photos.

Crawling all over the engine is part of being a 6.0 owner.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM
lauraj
Senior User
Originally Posted by Piolet
Without pictures it'll be tough to help you. There's a number of things on this engine that if they leak can result in oil dripping toward the rear of the engine.

You'll have to crawl over it and under it and snap loads of photos. Post them up here. The next stage is photos.

Crawling all over the engine is part of being a 6.0 owner.
It is at the dealer.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:19 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
could be leaky IPR but I would think there would be a code for that too ,that would require removeing degus and ficm not so sure you have to take the turbo.unless to make alot more room.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:35 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
I think she's done with us -- but dang! it sure could be something the dealer just touched on the head gasket/ARP job....

It sux to be dependent on someone else (we are) for the big work -- need to find a honest independent shop....

Old 03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
lauraj
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan
I think she's done with us -- but dang! it sure could be something the dealer just touched on the head gasket/ARP job....

It sux to be dependent on someone else (we are) for the big work -- need to find a honest independent shop....
I'm not done yet! I appreciate all your comments and advice. Very much so. I have not yet authorized the dealer to do the work. I am really upset about the fishing expedition to find the leak, but I am beginning to think it must be done. Hubby can't stand leaks - drives him crazy and he doesn't have enough Diesel knowledge to go in himself.

I am going to discuss the FICM issue with hubby in the AM. I think the way to go is the one recommended above. We had never chipped our truck or changed anything while it was under warranty, but I am thinking now may be the time. Save us a lot of money - even with the premium upgraded FICM. He can handle a simple swap on accessible parts. It will also solve the turbo lag that he hates. Maybe even 1-2 mpg better as well.

My only concern was towing, as the website discussed towing above 8000 lbs. From talking to them, the Ecotune should be the version we need, as we tow up to 12,000 lbs a few times a year. Any comments/warnings on this??

Thanks - will let you know how it works out.

Laura

Old 03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 409 Likes on 271 Posts
If you can stand a little downtime, pulling your FICM and sending it in would be the way to go. It's easier than an oil change to get that out on an '07....

Soon we'll be talking batteries, alternators, coolant filters, how to monitor critical systems....

It'll be a party!

Can't comment on the upgraded FICM, but we're somewhat heavy when loaded for a camp trip, so I'd be concerned too....

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,468 Likes on 1,710 Posts
The oil leak sounds like it could easily be a turbo oil supply line or drain line. Have you looked carefully around the turbo? Inspected the AC (charge air cooler) boots?

We can walk you guys through a turbo removal if you decide that it is appropriate and worth a try.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Laura the Atlas 40 will give you better throttle ant turbo response. I also saw about 1.5 MPG increase. The Atlas 40 should be ok for towing that load. BTW Ed offers an exchange program. Call him up and ask about it.

The oil leak could be a few things. But should be easy to find with a little patience. Posting pictures of it would help us help you.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM
daddykitty
Elder User
your oil leak could also be from the quick place messing up the o ring on the oil filter cap or over torquing it. my latest oil leak was from a loose oil pressure sender.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 AM
lauraj
Senior User
Ok. We are ordering the FICM from Ed via the exchange program. Hubby agrees. Also, there is so little oil on the driveway ( unlike my '97 7.5L with a rear main seal leak ) , that we are going to decline the turbo removal for now, clean up the oil and watch it carefully. (He also has one of those remote camera tools that we can poke around and see if we can see the leak.)

Also going to check out some independant shops locally for future repairs. Will let you know how it goes....

Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Piolet
Posting Guru
There are local chapters on this forum that you can join.
Regional Chapters - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

You can join one and introduce yourself and ask for recommendations for a good shop in your area. A lot of folks will post something similar as a new thread in this 6.0 forum simply asking if any one knows a good shop in the XYZ area.

The local chapters also have meets and get togethers occasionally. Everything happens at them, from working on trucks to eating fried food.

Too many folks find the bad shops before they find the good ones, and a good mechanic on this engine is where its at. Ed's FICM, bulletproof parts, billet accessories, etc., won't be worth a damn if they are installed wrong.
A lot of us have been there, done that.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
X2 on the Chapters there area list of great 6.0 mechanics in each chapter and good choise on Eds ficm you wont be sorry , use the palm of your hand to dissconnect the ficm wires and to replace them I used a piece of 1x2 braced across to snap those little bugrs in use a little diolectic greese that will help the slip in and next time removal, the only hard part for me was the back bolt and the degus bracket I left some hide there to remind me what a pita that spot was lol

Old 03-13-2013, 05:12 PM
lauraj
Senior User
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the skin loss! Will warn hubby. Part should arrive Friday....Already requested to join the Texas chapter - haven't heard back yet. We are near Houston ( north side) and figure there ought to be lots of options here for good mechanical work and advice.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Updates????

Quick Reply: leaking oil/engine light